ad: LZQSLprint-1

2 meter FM Band Opening!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,
    This is Andrew, KI4DWG in Cedartown GA. Last night, Tuesday June 01, 2004, I had the privilege of talking on a band opening for the first time since I have had my license.

From Cedartown GA, I was talking to people all the way into Jonesboro Arkansas, Franklin Kentucky, Nashville Tennessee, Anderson South Carolina to name a few.

I started talking on the band opening around 11:15PM, and it was real open and everyone was in there real loud and clear, full scale and good audio. It started going in and out around 1[​IMG]0AM, and then started opening back up around 1:30AM, and was going strong until 2:30AM, and started going out pretty fast around 3[​IMG]0AM when I finally called it a night. And again today, earlier this morning, I was making long distance contacts, so maybe the band is going to continue to stay open for a few days, hopefully anyway.

This was my first chance of seeing what a band opening will do since I got my license in February of this year. I really enjoyed it, and hopefully I will be upgrading and getting my General license soon to talk on HF.

This is getting long, I apologize for that, so 73's everyone.

Andrew Benefield
    KI4DWG
    Cedartown GA

2. K5JKW

K5JKW Ham Member QRZ Page

Which band are you speaking of? I mean, what's the frequency you were talking on?

3. W4GNS

W4GNS Ham Member QRZ Page

The DX bug bit you,and now you got the fever! Welcome aboard!! Plenty of DX to you in the future [​IMG]

4. W9GRN

W9GRN QRZ Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w4gns @ June 03 2004,12:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The DX bug bit you,and now you got the fever! Welcome aboard!! Plenty of DX to you in the future [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ageed,it's really great to hear something like that happen to you.Hope you have continued success in the future with band openings. [​IMG]

5. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] kd5mnb...what does the words of the TITLE of the thread say ?

answer: 2 meter ( duh )

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Boy does that bring back memories. I remember my first ever 2 meter opening from Jersey City to Atlantic City. I was using 25 watts AM into a "Big Wheel" antenna. I was just jumping around like crazy that I worked such a distance. I immediately got out a map and measured the air distance probably about a zillion times and traced it with my finger lots of times.

The DX bug has a big bite.

TS820

7. K0FCL

K0FCL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

hello,
    i was on a 2 mtr. opening on ssb 144.200 a couple of years ago on a sunday morning and it was wild.
    i'm in ks. and all the dx was from ga.,and florida and one contact in cuba, oscar co2oj he was 59 for 10 min.
    the rig i was using was the ic 746 100 watts to a 13b2 horz. @ 55 ft.
    there were several people in wichita that made the contact with him.
    73 to all, kc0fcl conrad in eureka ks.

8. KH2D

KH2D Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about two meter Deeee-X, but I sure like your clock. It's 0[​IMG]4 PM !

73, Jim KH2D

9. W4ALR

W4ALR Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck Andrew! I was able to reach NJ on 2 meter SSB the day I received my ticket (call sign) from Ft. Lauderdale, Fl with a vert. ant. up 20'. The bug bite is a good thing. Try six meters until you can upgrade to Gen.
    Al Richter
    W4ALR

10. N8ARY

N8ARY Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember one night about two years ago- The Holland, MI repeater (147.06) was receiving stations in Muskegon, Milwaukee, Sheboygan (WI) Chicago, and Lansing. One Sheboygan station was using an HT with 1/2 watt!

I will remember that day for a long time.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks everyone! I am sorry its took me so long to get back on here. But thanks! I am looking forward to the next opening, it sure was fun. And sorry about not posting frequency, it was 146.640, and I was using a PLT of 114.8, and some wasn't even using one, so it was just a little helpful interference really [​IMG] I have been meaning to send out some little "eyeball" cards that I made to the people that i talked to, so if you are reading this, sorry I am running behind, I will get them out though. And I am definately looking forward to upgrading and getting my HF privileges, I went tonight and took my code test, and found out that even if you know the whole alphabet, and everything you need, copying is a whole lot harder than sending lol [​IMG] But maybe I will get it, and I may see some of you on HF.

73's
    Andrew

12. KF4GLG

KF4GLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Andrew! There are lots of people reading your post right now that are remembering their first band opening. They are all smiling [​IMG] .I'm smiling too! You have been bitten by "the bug". The only cure for it is a lifetime of having fun on the radio, in all its' many modes and variations. Welcome aboard. 73 [​IMG] ............mike

13. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Have fun Andrew! there will be a few folks who will give you a hard time online no matter what, just keep doing your thing and enjoying yourself.

To the guy who had to start it up about Andrew using 2 meters, back off the man! who cares what mode or frequency you enjoy...go tell the EME guys they are not as intelligent as you are because of the frequency they use....the frequency!! I can see how it would be easy to become ashamed of our hobby because of negativity....but i wont, because its not representitive of the majority. so far, all but one of the guys responding to Andrew have been supportive and sound like they still enjoy ham radio....or life for that matter.

Andrew, keep on DXing...whatever frequency its on, hihi!! one of these days i will try my hand on 2 meter skip, satellite, 6 meters, etc....im sure theres a world out there beyond HF CW DXing.

14. KG4FJK

KG4FJK Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job on the 2 meter dx! Just remember...as so many do not, that the 144.200 is the *calling* freq. Please don't get on and start long QSO's when the opening can last long enoughto pass grid and callsign. Ragchewing is great on 6 meter/hf, but for QRP vhf stations it can be an impediment.

Alpharetta GA
    Listening to on .200 whilst 2 stations argue when the last best opening was.

15. W0NWA

W0NWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember when I lived In Memphis, Tn. we would have
    2 Meter openings. would talk from a mobile 50 watts
    through repeaters in Nashville,Tn. and states of
    MS, KY, LA

all using there repeaters....

Andrew try changing the PL codes around also when there is an opening. you would be surprized.

Jeff
    W0NWA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.