ad: Alphaant-1

14 Common Phone Mistakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh, there's an interstate about 2 hours from me that does everything in miles then suddenly changes to km just before it ends. It caught me off guard the first time when it said it ended in 3/4 km.

2. VE3VXO

VE3VXO Guest

Biggest mistake of all? Using a microphone to communicate. Throw it away!

WD4IGX, K0PV/SK2023 and K8EEI like this.
  3. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

phonetics drive me up the wall with all these super star wannabe wide audio lids. We have a ____ who calls himself "ICE COLD TEA" on 3.913
    hes in Florida. these guys have to feel special. or the qweee beck, kaa beck.
    cant we just say it like it was intended, not make up some stupid crap. So keep your sugars and killowatt and ego crap to the side people. You all sound stupid.

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Popcorn is ready!

WD4IGX, AK5B, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  5. WJ9M

WJ9M Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a newly minted Technician License holder. My registration showed up in the database yesterday. So let me ask a stupid question. Why are FM, SSB and AM called phone? I've seen some questions in the General so far that mention phone. Can we use rotary dial, flip phones or do we have to have smart phones?

AK5B and N0TZU like this.
  6. W0RIC

W0RIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N4MXZ likes this.
  7. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

First, congrats on getting your license and welcome to Amateur Radio!

"Phone" is defined in the Part 97 rules. 97.3(c)(5) defines phone as: Speech and other sound emissions having designators with A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first symbol; 1, 2, 3 or X as the second symbol; E as the third symbol. Also speech emissions having B or F as the first symbol; 7, 8 or 9 as the second symbol; E as the third symbol. MCW for the purpose of performing the station identification procedure, or for providing telegraphy practice interspersed with speech. Incidental tones for the purpose of selective calling or alerting or to control the level of a demodulated signal may also be considered phone.

I'd say the most common reason we use the word "phone" instead of "AM, FM, or SSB" is that "phone" is a lot easier to say. And it's a whole lot easier to say than that more precise paragraph from the regulations.

The term "phone" is used over 40 times in the regulations, too. This may have etched it into some people's consciousness.

WD4IGX, AK5B and N0TZU like this.
  8. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

new guy

9. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Saying that there is no standard is indeed utter nonsense because there IS a standard. That doesn't imply that it is mandatory though. At least not in the US. In other countries it is.

F1RAF likes this.
  10. N4MXZ

N4MXZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

11. KB4MC

KB4MC Ham Member QRZ Page

You hit the nail right on the head with #14. It just annoys the hell out of me to hear some give their callsign and then tell me they're doing so for "ID". I want to pull my hair out! IT IS your ID!

12. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a lot of old paper logs with "A3j" notations. ;}.

Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

N6SPP and AG6QR like this.
  13. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So how do you think it started? Really. We're talking ham culture here. My historical recollection is that it started with 75-meter evening groups doing lively conversation, back and forth, without the longer transmissions common in AM mode. Thoughts, anyone?

Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

14. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio in the US is regulated under Part 97 of the FCC rules and regulations. I am obliged to follow those regulations. Nowhere in those regulations will you find a reference to a "standard phonetic alphabet". It's not about nonsense it's about compliance.

If you want to comment on what the rest of the world may or may not do regarding phonetics when it comes to ham radio, please feel free to do so. Some may find it interesting.

WD4IGX and WE4B like this.
  15. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

It pays to be a new guy. You can watch and learn what not to do from others.

K8EEI likes this.