ad: ProAudio-1

10 Keys to Selling Used Ham Gear Safely and Successfully

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Nov 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NU4R

NU4R Ham Member QRZ Page

So glad you two had a great QSO among yourselves in this video because, what you've presented here offers little to zilch in reality of listing AND PROTECTING ONE'S SELF....AS THE SELLER! Most importantly, I simply LOVE how you've pretty much dodged the topic of eBay and PayPal for selling. Barely a whisper concerning RIP-OFF CENTRAL!

Are you two ACTUALLY clueless of eBay's PATHETIC newest revamp of their ever-changing policies meant SOLELY to protect EBAY PROFIT...AND THE BUYER? How about how SELLERS are perpetually held hostage by the world's premier auction site...ESPECIALLY when it involves the likes of big bucks sent via PayPal?

As an individual whose eBay feedback is 100% and just topped the 5 digit mark, please feel free to contact me when you're planning a redo of this video and it's topic for it's short coming are nothing short of an LOL moment!

Lastly, please spare me your ridiculous rebuttals for I personally have learned this very same PayPal lesson the hard way. If my response to your video does NOTHING ELSE, let it be the pinnacle of warning that the world's "premier auction site" doesn't give one flying flip about legitimate sellers getting hosed and their profits being IMMEDIATELY returned to it's source!

To THAT end and what it boils down to is, eBay knows the satisfied BUYER will be return again and again...but SO WHAT if they loose an individual seller!

Greg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  2. NU4R

NU4R Ham Member QRZ Page

>>And, Facebook Marketplace is in EXACTLY the same realm! It's "the new" Craigslist!<<

3. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi, Greg. Thanks for your post and warning. Please do share more here too if you think it will help other hams. No need to hold back.

Quin, K8QS
    Ham Radio Perspectives
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

N6HCM likes this.
  4. K5WW

K5WW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a couple of good tips there. Things I hadn't even considered yet; thank you.

One that I'd like to add, for selling online: record a good quality video. YouTube has lots of room. Shows the gear's functionality; which enhances the buyer's confidence.

5. K5LLZ

K5LLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I only use PayPal. Been ripped off shipping money orders. Made some people upset but don't have to worry about PayPal.

PY2NEA likes this.
  6. K8QS

Thanks much, Erik. I have used videos so it boggles my mind that we did not include it in our videos. I have also done live video with potential buyers -- they see the rig in operation, even working me while they can see the rig. Quin, K8QS

7. K8QS

Fred, I use PayPal most of the time, especially with online sales. I find that cash can be a good bargaining chip in local hamfest sales.

Quin, K8QS
    Ham Radio Perspectives YouTube Channel

8. NI4TG

NI4TG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

“For parts or repair”, $2000, LOL. QRZ items are more fairly priced than EBay and others I think.

9. K8QS

10. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I'm looking for ANYTHING that plugs in, at a flea market, I always have a basic VOM, extension cord, dummy load, wattmeter, cables as well as a Verizon hotspot and my tablet. I can pretty much figure out a fair price and discern if it works or not. Very simple.

11. K8QS

Thanks, Brian.
    Quin, K8QS

12. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

as someone with these credentials you sound like a professional ebayer, and it's not clear that this video is aimed at the likes of you. but, hey, shout at people without actually helping anyone all you want ...

KD5BVX and WA9TDD like this.
  13. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

Quentin:

OEM packaging: I learned from a commercial and industrial grade "packer and shipper" that an electronics manufacturer's packing is generally intended for palletized shipping to a central distribution point and then on to the retailer. It is generally not intended for reshipment after o[oning and removal of contents.

Manufacturers regard damage in transit as a cost of doing business just like retailers regard inventory shrinkage. When damage in transit gets too high, redesign the packaging!

UPS: You can actually download the UPS packing standards for different categories of items. I did that while planning a shipment via UPS.

Per the UPS packing standards "FRAGILE", "THIS END UP" and similar labels don't mean a thing. All shipments get the same handling.

PACKING STANDARDS: American Airlines has a useful bit of information in its packing standards:

EXPECT YOUR SHIPMENT TO BE HANDLED UP TO TWELVE TIMES AND EXPOSED TO THE WEATHER AT EACH END.

HAMFESTS / SWAPMEETS: The personal appearance of the seller is as important as the appearance & presentation of the gear! I personally wouldn't buy ANYTHING from a seller who looks and smells like he spent the last few nights in a homeless colony.

Thanks for the great presentation. I really admire your overall quality!

73!

Jerry Brumm
    N9LCD

14. K8QS

Terrific edition to the discussion, Jerry. We appreciate it.
    Quin, K8QS

15. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

Quentin:

I omitted one thing.

Document your packing. If the rig is wrapped in bubble wrap or equivalent. have photos of all six sides. Take a photo or two or the rig in its shipping carton BEFORE sealing it. Photo ALL SIX SIDES of the sealed carton. AND BE SURE YOUR PHOTOS HAVE A CURRENT DATE AND TIME IF YOUR PHOTOS ARE DATE & TIME STAMPED.

Tom may not run the cheapest packing & shipping service up here in 9-land -- near ORD. But, he says, in all his years in the business, he's had only one claim denied by UPS!