ad: chuckmartin

“A Visit to the Sun and the Ionosphere-- A Ham Primer to The October 14th Annular Solar Eclipse”

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX2R, May 16, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WX2R

WX2R Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This year and next will feature a solar eclipse in North America – a rare series of events not repeated in our lifetimes. Study of the Sun and the Earth will be the focus on pure science that ham radio will participate with the ionosphere of primary interest. Citizen-science collaboration with organizations such as HAMSCI for the 2023 annular solar eclipse in October is a good example of that partnership.

The Fair Lawn (NJ) Amateur Radio Club’s May Kawfee Tawk is a basic introduction to the Sun and its effect on how the ionosphere works. We hear a lot of terms used in our hobby, such as sunspots, CME, K index, solar flux, etc., but what do they mean, and how can we better understand them?

These concepts are presented in an interesting format with the goal of helping us better understand their role. This presentation is a non-technical aid in understanding more advanced presentations. With Cycle 25 upon us, this background will help to answer many of your questions about understanding the effects of the Sun on radio propagation.

Our presenter is Ron Wilcox KF7ZN.

Licensed in 1984 thanks to Don, KA7T, with a layoff from the hobby in the middle, Ron had a career with Mountain Bell and is currently an RN nurse case manager with Intermountain Health/Select Health.

He is a member of multiple amateur organizations such as Utah DX Association (current vice president), Mobile Amateur Radio Awards Club (election coordinator), Davis County Radio Club, and HAMSCI, among others. In trying to build and help the hobby, he is active as a VE, ARES Assistant Emergency Coordinator and doing presentations at clubs and conventions. Please see refer to his QRZ.com page for more information.

Come with your questions and interest, as this topic is one that many have asked for.

So, save the date – FRIDAY, May 19, 2023 at 19:30 PM EDT – for this important and always timely discussion. Here is the Zoom information:

Meeting ID: 871 9030 4080 By Phone: Meeting ID: 871 9030 4080

Passcode: kawfee Passcode: 400613

www.zoom.us Dial: 646-558-8656

For more information, please visit the club's website at http://www.FairLawnARC.org or call 201-791-3841.

Attached Files:

W9TNC, N0QLR and K0UO like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

During Hamvention??

At that time I will be enjoying dinner with 30 other hams (after Hamvention lets out for the day) and imbibing my once a year 1/4 of a beer....lotsa partying at the hospitality suites.

You might consider taping and re-zooming a second time. Certainly the subject is very interesting and an annular eclipse can be just as interesting as a total one (solar) from a propagation standpoint.

K0UO and W8XAL like this.
  3. W8XAL

W8XAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, suggest you record this for later viewing since it's during Hamvention.

4. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip! You LUSH! ha ha ha... :p;)

K9TDW likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

..and in PUBLIC!

WR2E likes this.
  6. K9TDW

K9TDW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

maybe he meant 1/4 barrel of beer!!!:D:D

WR2E likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,over a lifetime perhaps"-)

Anyway,the speaker sounds interesting. Hope those at 'vention can catch it later:)

8. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've not seen, in my recollection, an annular eclipse. From what I've looked at, it doesn't appear that I'll be seeing much more than 25% of this one either! shucks...

April 2024 there's a total eclipse passing over the USA. I'm on the 90% part of that one.

Lucky folks down TX way will get to see BOTH of these!

9. K9TDW

K9TDW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hope you did not take offense, I was just kidding! That does sound interesting and wish I was going to be there.

W1YW likes this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The XYL and I around back from Hamvention now, so did this get recorded if so how do we link to it?

11. NY4NC

NY4NC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was unable to attend Hamvention. I would be interested in seeing this as well.