ad: elecraft

Help finding my own post

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by W3KW, Apr 17, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W3KW

W3KW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can someone please search the forum for:

National XCU-27 Crystal Calibrator

It's my post. Please send me the link please. The search engine won't show me my own posts.

Thanks,

Wes
    w3KW

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

3. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure it will Wes... this brings up all your posts. I tried it with my own call and it brings them all up too, so it's not like one can't search for their own call. Likely how Bill found the post you were looking for.

upload_2024-4-17_17-57-55.png

K8VHL and KP4SX like this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually I used the term "calibrator" plus his call.
    Search won't recognize that complete title.

K8VHL and WR2E like this.
  5. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Click on your callsign on the upper right,

A drop down list will appear. Click on "Your Content" and it will show all your posts.

Does for me anyway.

WR2E likes this.
  6. W3KW

OOO. That's good. Thanks.

7. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There are a lot of ways to do this. Another way is to click on your callsign to the left of your post and then select the number to the right of "Messages".

8. W3KW

Yes. And I get 100 pages of posts (on my desk top) that I need to scroll through and search for the right post. On my phone I only get a few pages going back a few days/pages.

Wouldn’t it be nice if I could type the verbatim title of my post and the results would populate? They don’t. I get “no results “ to every search for my own posts. Frustrating.

“My content” was helpful. That only shows the threads I start. Still, what good is having a search engine if the only thing that populates is “no results?”

9. W3KW

IMG_7136.png

IMG_7137.jpeg

Case in point.

10. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wes, I think I've mentioned this before... quite often if you put QUOTES around your search term, it becomes better behaved. Yes, the search engine does indeed 5uck, but using quotes has helped my searches a number of times.

upload_2024-4-18_2-25-37.png

11. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As others have pointed out, it's a matter of learning how to get good results from the less than great search engine that is part of this release of XenForo.
    Your example above is the right approach with your callsign in the Posted by Member field. Go to any forum and enter the most significant single word from your query in the top search box, such as "calibrator" and then uncheck the Search this forum only box. Try that.

KD9TED and KP4SX like this.
  12. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,

The "My Contents" list show ALL posts I've made and is not restricted to only those I started. Are you sure you only see the ones you started?

When using the search function:

1. Make sure you click on the "More..." button. That way you can be sure to search the entire Forum (and subforums if you click the "child"
    button).

2. Make sure to put your search word or phrase into quotes; this is important for this website's search function for some reason.

3. Put your call in the box if you want the search to be limited to posts the you made.

13. W3KW

Ok. So this is all well and good as a workaround to find MY content on our lame search engine. And it is lame. However, when I’m searching for content others created, how many posts am I NOT seeing? I have to search for the same content five different ways to ensure I’m not missing anything in the same topic? With quotes. Without quotes. No dash in NC-173 for example. Multiple variations of the same query. It’s very frustrating.

Now look away as I give my “no results” message the middle finger.

ok. Rant over. Moving on.