ad: Retevis-1

VIDEO: MMSSTV Demo on 20m - Yaesu Ft-891

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB8UIP, Nov 29, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB8UIP

KB8UIP Ham Member QRZ Page

First time using (and demoing) MMSSTV to receive HF SSTV transmissions on 14.230 USB with Yaesu FT-891 and MFJ-2010 OCFD

YD1DLM, VE2CYV, K9CTB and 10 others like this.
  2. AI6XK

AI6XK Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish SSB people would stay off of 14.230MHz, unless they are going to send some SSTV

YD1DLM, K5ISS, KO6KL and 5 others like this.
  3. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

I like doing SSTV with QSSTV and Linux much. Here in my region at the 2M and 70cm band. Unfortunately most operators around dont like it. So when there is a Sporadic-E or other good conditions it can be fun, other times are just frustrating.

Test_DO1FER.png

YD1DLM, AD8DM, KB8UIP and 1 other person like this.
  4. KB7KUH

KB7KUH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi All,
    I have worked some SSTV off the ISS on 2M.
    Looking forward to seeing if I can pick it up on 20M. Station is all ready to go. Any special times to listen?

Kb7kuh

YD1DLM, KB8UIP and HB9EPC like this.
  5. KB7KUH

So I did decode a pic, but it wasn't to clear. It was a 7 call sign. I tried to transmit, but couldn't get the radio to transmit.
    Using MMSCTV and IC 7300. The radio works on FT-8 just fine, so I guess it might be a radio setting.

YD1DLM and KB8UIP like this.
  6. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Try to use a closed over-ear headphone. One side you can use like a acoustic coupler, when you put in a handmic. You will need different tries in cause of the volume and clear coupling.

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Spent some time yesterday afternoon on 20 SSTV. I like this time of the year to send and receive pictures. My dedicated rig for SSTV and digital modes is also the FT-891 and ALS 1300 when needed.
    upload_2023-12-3_12-35-29.png

YD1DLM, N2OIT, KB8UIP and 3 others like this.
  8. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately a lot of people dont know about the frequency.

YD1DLM, AD8DM, KB8UIP and 1 other person like this.
  9. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I need to fire up my SSTV again.

KB8UIP and K3XR like this.
  10. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

We have a local NBEMS net that uses the Fldigi image decoder and MMSSTV occasionally. MMSSTV is used exclusively in a weekly VHF net up in Concord.

Fun stuff. :)

wq2h_20APR2017s2.jpg

11. KB7KUH

OK so I think I got one to go the other night.

How do I know if it worked?

KB8UIP likes this.
  12. K5TED

K5TED Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.worldsstv.com/ is where you can check your propagation.

If the frequency is clear, and depending on the band conditions, I'll send a BW/8 or BW/12 mode CQ image first and see if there are any takers and look for reception on that site. Also it is the mode most likely to get thru the QRM so you can see where you're landing here. There are several sites like this on the web.

Some of the narrow modes may be allowed on 30m - https://www.wa9tt.com/tutorial/article_N-SSTV_30m.pdf Make up your mind on that one before proceeding.

10m is a good place to play SSTV now that we're in a new cycle, although it may be restricted to Generals or above as the "SSTV International Call Frequency" is 28.680

I've used MMSSTV for many years on a few different radios, including a TS-140S with Signalink, FT-857D with external sound card and the DIN cable, and Flex radio, with no issues.

This is also an interesting program. You won't find anyone using it much, but it's great if you set up a sked or have a net using the mode. https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/KG-STV It is free and readily available on the web.

YD1DLM, KO6KL, KB8UIP and 2 others like this.
  13. KB7KUH

Great info. I'm using a IC 7300 and MMSSTV.
    I will have to try again and see if it goes thru. Do you know how long it takes worldsstv to get the pic listed?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    KB8UIP likes this.
  14. KB7KUH

I got my first confirmed HFSSTV contact.

Thanks to VE6JFD for the reply. Now to figure out the picture thing, and how to add my own pic.

Thanks all for the support.

YD1DLM, KB8UIP and K3XR like this.
  15. PT2AW

PT2AW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SSTV at 14.230 and FT8 at 7.074 are terrible mistakes. SSTV could be at some point at 14.065 and 14.075 and FT8 at around 7.050. I never do both of these digitals and I'll never will. The frequencies are pretty wrong.