ad: Alphaant-1

Issue #7: For the Love of QRP

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by W7DGJ, Jan 3, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Please post your comments and questions here for the topic of Issue #7, For the Love of QRP. In case you can't find the article, it's linked here and you'll always find the big box on the front page of QRZ. I hope you'll enjoy! Please note that I will read and respond to every post and that I consider feedback to drive the column, so fire away!

K3WGI, K7GYB and (deleted member) like this.
  2. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I loved the comparison to fishing at the little stream with nothing but A stick and A worm. Loved it...

F8WBD and WD4ELG like this.
  3. W7DGJ

Thanks Dave. When you make the comparison with a full legal limit operation, amps and Yagi's, etc, than you're talking about going out with a deluxe fish finder and all the best gear. Not the same is it!

4. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the great post! What a great experience you had! I've forgotten to turn my power back up (as I like to conserve power as I'm often out for one or two days) after chatting on VHF/UHV with locals while activating a summit (SOTA) on my 817-ND and switch back t0 HF and have been pleasantly surprised that I made a decent local or even DX on 2.5 watts before realizing the power output! 73

5. W7DGJ

Cool! Thanks Dave. You had a very similar experience to me -- sudden shock that low power actually gets out there. We're lucky to see the improving conditions now, which might have something to do with it. But I remember when I was just a kid, a boy scout, licensed and using super low powered gear. I was in Ohio and it was a thrill to talk to someone in Maine or Illinois . . . Dave

W5ESE and K7GYB like this.
  6. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

QRP develops good operating skills. Listening and transmitting. Efficiency. Timing. Etc.

emphasis on good portable antennas too.

good stuff

K1CWB, K7GYB and W7DGJ like this.
  7. W7DGJ

agree Joe! so much fun screwing around with antennas in that kind of environment . . . Dave

K7GYB likes this.
  8. KE0NRE

KE0NRE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Happy New Year, Dave. That's your wonderful take on QRP operations and expectations. Improving band conditions have led me to dial back the power of my IC-7300 to 30W or less from my usual 85W or more. By the way, setting my 7300's power to zero only reduces transmitter output to about 2W. When I practice CW, I choose its CW operating mode and make sure brk-in and full break-in are toggled off. The side tone still comes through but no power gets to the antenna and so no need for a dummy load. Have fun!

N3AWS and K7GYB like this.
  9. W7DGJ

Wow, I had no idea that much power could get out of the 7300 at ZERO! No wonder I was picked up hundreds of miles away

K9NUD likes this.
  10. K9NUD

K9NUD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's something very alluring about QRP. It truly does test your mettle when it comes to antennas and operating skill. I love the NAQCC milliwatt contests. I made 7 contacts last month at 1,000 mW. It's one thing when you are QRPp and the other guy isn't. It's another thing entirely when you are both QRPp. I'm planning to do my next POTA activation at 900mW.

W5ESE, K1CWB, K7GYB and 2 others like this.
  11. K9NUD

K9NUD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have lit up the RBN with my 7300 set to zero power.

WD4ELG and KL7KN like this.
  12. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO - 100 watts (or more) into a triband yagi = shooting fish in a barrel.

QRP = just fishing. Sometimes ya land one, sometimes (or mostly) ya don't.

High urban noise levels have driven me out of the shack. So now portable + battery power = QRP fun.

Not for everyone, it does require some patience and a decent antenna.

N3AWS, WD4ELG, K1CWB and 1 other person like this.
  13. W7DGJ

Makes you wonder WHY that ICOM would design their transceiver to leak power past the finals at a Zero setting? No one checks that??

KF5KWO likes this.
  14. W7DGJ

Thanks for reading Don. That's where I use my QRP gear . . . POTA and just in fun outdoor locations, not always a park. I live in Arizona and have a lot of places to go out into the desert where it's fun to set up and test various antennas. My wife and I don't like to kill pest animals, so I am constantly "relocating" rattlesnakes, pack rats, and so on into the Arizona desert. I've discovered some cool areas for portable work as a result. Wish we had more POTA in this State. Dave

K7GYB and KL7KN like this.
  15. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I grew up in Tucson, so familiar with the local wildlife.
    I do miss the winters, the summer heat - not so much.

W7DGJ likes this.