ad: LZQSLprint-1

Issue #7: For the Love of QRP

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by W7DGJ, Jan 3, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do the same on my 7300 as well when I want to practice. Interesting to note that the 7300 indicates power in percentages and not real Watts indicated, although my stand alone V/W meter seems to be pretty close to the percentage set that I set have set on the machine. I don't really understand why this (choosing to select % rather than Watts out) is so. I also was unaware that Zero percent power out was not actually Zero power on TX until a ham buddy of mine with the same rig pointed this out. Also, Question: might you know the purpose of the "Full Break" vs. "Break-In" feature and why one would choose to use either one? I send with "brk-in" set and find the clicking rather annoying with the full break feature set rather than the pause/delay set before the finals disengauge. Thanks! 73.

2. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the Break In instead of Full Break In, because most linear amplifiers prefer it that way. Also, I agree with you that the clicking is annoying. Some CW Ops prefer full break in. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QSK_operation_(full_break-in), Dave

3. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OK! Thanks Dave! Was wondering about the "break" feature. Looking forward to more articles. 73

W7DGJ likes this.
  4. N8LA

N8LA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Moved to condo in middle of Saint Louis in 2000. Was off the air until 2010 when fellow amateur figured out how to put up 200 ft. dipole around the roof parapet of the condo complex fed with 450 ohm window line. Since then have 75 DX entities confirmed using five watts or fewer CW from FT-817ND anf KX-3.
    Lou Axeman, N8LA

KF5KWO likes this.
  5. W7DGJ

Wow Lou, that’s so cool. Sounds like a really stealthy antenna and a great job w/the QRP!

6. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Best radios for General purpose use have power & carrier controls.
    TS 590 will go down to a couple of hundred miliwatts with power & carrier set at zero!

I love QRP so much i changed my call after 30 years!

W7DGJ likes this.
  7. WB7QDR

WB7QDR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank You for a great read.
    I purchased an ICOM 703 plus, for a great price. I am a firm believer of Conditions, Location, Antenna, and knowledge. Having an ICOM 7300, I was not impressed with some of the of the 1kw, 500, 100 watt stations.
    So I built my Station from my ideas, and past experience. First a Quality Radio , Icom 703plus, then I had 150ft 1/2 inch Hardline, (left over from my AATV days) and a 34 foot home built vertical. I relaced with a DX Eengineering 43 foot vertical. Last on my list I built a RF Choke.
    Station Complete 10 watts, great antenna, ground mounted, nice location Scottsdale AZ. Most of all I have many quality contacts, many say "How many watts?" "Are you kidding me?" And a lot of WOW great work...Some QSO,s
    ZS6CCY South oAfrica, ZL,s New Zealand, M0JWK, and many more.
    A few QRP what's wrong with you?

The praise is well worth it.
    73 WB7QDR

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    KJ5CVN likes this.
  8. K7RLN

K7RLN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have always enjoyed QRP operating. I have always enjoyed the challenge. Even though I have a full-powered QRO rig in my shack (no amp yet), I tend to gravitate to my Yaesu FT-818nd for operating. And now, with the SKCC SKM going on this month, I try to see how many K3Y stations I can work with QRP. It's more fun for me that way.

9. W7DGJ

Hi Brian - Great to hear from another Scottsdale ham! We should talk live some day, as I live in your area as well (North, up by Black Mountain in Carefree/Cave Creek.) Your comments are very interesting. I wrote up a review on an amp in CQ Magazine and spoke about my QSO with Bill in S. Africa, the same guy you mention on your QRZ profile -- great guy. I appreciate your comments on my article. Dave Jensen, W7DGJ

10. W7DGJ

Hi Ralph, thanks for reading and especially for coming back to comment. You've got a nice profile here on Zed. I agree with you on how much fun it is to get great reports but working with QRP power levels! Dave

11. W7DGJ

Hi Graeme - Thanks for reading and then coming back here to comment. I love your QRZ profile and it's funny! Wish I could get the CW IS FUN license plate here in Arizona! Dave

12. AC9YY

AC9YY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave,

You're right that operating QRP is a different mind set. I have made QRO contacts over 8K miles which was exciting, but not as exciting to me as when I made a 4,800 mile contact with 3.1 watts. I realize running QRP does make the other operator work harder and appreciate that. For me part of the fun is trying different QRP radios. I have tried the (Tr)uSDX, uSDX, uBITX v6, Xiegu X5015 and G90. I now have ordered the FX-4CR (not released yet) to work with. So far all this has been phone contacts. Technically I have a QRP Labs U3S which runs QRP/WSPR any time I am not operating via another radio in the shack.

Jim
    AC9YY

13. W7DGJ

Hey Jim, thanks for reading. WSPR is fun, isn't it. That really shows up low power for what it can be. As I mentioned in Issue 2, my little guy hit Antartica repeatedly. Pleased to see all the radios you've tried out, and looking now in the 'net to see what an FX-4CR is. THANKS. Dave

AC9YY likes this.
  14. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the original posts.
    QRP certainly needs the other station to contribute significantly to the contact, But it also hones the skill of the low power operator.

I will gladly exchange 100 QRO contacts for 1 QRP to QRP.
    The number plate will shortly be exchanged for G5 WCW.

QRO & online spotting has ruined the spirit of Ham Radio.
    As they say it's like shooting fish in a barrel!

15. W7DGJ

To use my fishing analogy from this current issue of Trials and Errors, sometimes high power is like using a deluxe fish finder and a stick of dynamite.