ad: ProAudio-1

Xeigu G106 REVIEW

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0JSX, Dec 14, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any old Yaesu FT817 runs circles round this thing, and that one first came out, what... 20 years ago?

Hard Pass.

KL7KN, W5OTR, KA9P and 2 others like this.
  2. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

QRO (I mean real QRO, not that kids' stuff one would name legal limit amps) is the vast area to learn about. With QRO every part that appears insignificant has to be special as the equipment has to withstand high RF currents and high RF voltages. With QRO one cannot just transmit as to avoid RFI the signal from transceiver/exciter has to be much cleaner than would be acceptable with low power. And so on. ;)

KI5UXW likes this.
  3. W6FRD

W6FRD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that the best HF radios uncontested in performance features style well made are the Big three. Icom yaesu kenwood, anything else is not worth my time and money. W6FRD.

EA1FPN, KI5UXW and KE0GXN like this.
  4. EA7KNW

EA7KNW Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally i like the Xiegu G90 - it does all i need and it was cheap.
    I see no real purpose for the G106 in my own particular circumstances.
    In the end, it comes down to what you like to play with and how much money you have to spend on your interests, so terms like 'Better" and "Best" and "Junk" are purely subjective terms.
    So far i've spent way more on building tube-based QRO amps than the transceiver !

W7STF, K7LZR, KI5UXW and 1 other person like this.
  5. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand the same used to be said about the now Big Three.
    Change is the only Constant :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

4X1ST likes this.
  6. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's "i" before "e" except after "c".:)

W7VC, HA3FLT and KI5UXW like this.
  7. W0DN

W0DN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice tip there Chief

HA3FLT and KI5UXW like this.
  8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

EA7KNW and KI5UXW like this.
  9. KT8DX

KT8DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I own a G106. I also have an X5105, X6100, G90, and XPA125B. Ok, I have a Xiegu problem. I DO NOT have a problem with the G106. It is a nice simple to operate CW QRP radio and it functions well. I have a blast operating it and have used it in contests, SKCC nights, and even checking into my local club's 10m net at night. I come from the world of HW-7's, HW-8's, OHR radios, and a whole host of minimalistic QRP radios. Talk about some really lousy radios in that bunch but this G106 blows the doors off all of them. I agree with one of the previous posters that for 100 or so more you can have a G90. BUT - for just turning on the radio at night and making a few CW contacts with little fuss and muss the G106 is just a joy. When the weather clears, it'll go POTA with me. And yes, with my external tuner/SWR meter, external keyer (Begali Morse Machine) and so on. Amateur Radio is about fun, operating, and cameraderie. Not technical specs that your particular radio has. Or what some bombastic YouTube reviewer trying to get people all excited (positive or negative) has to say...

2E0EUZ, W1XQ and EA7KNW like this.
  10. BG2BJI

BG2BJI Ham Member QRZ Page

11. BG2BJI

BG2BJI Ham Member QRZ Page

Another diy machine will be launched in 2023, fx4cr and FX4L, welcome your attention!

12. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Life's too short for listening to kilowatt splatterboxes.

N6ALT, K3EY, AE8EM and 2 others like this.
  13. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed, and it's getting worse! What I really realish is breaking through a pile-up of stations running max-power while sitting on a mountain ridge here in the Cascades with my 817-ND with my wire antenna hung in a a Dougfir, and thanking the DX contact for the exchange - the haters seethe! Not to mention the peace and quiet of a pristine RF environment while sitting in the middle of a Thomas Cole painting. QRP has lessons to teach that I've of not learned anywhere else.

K7HEP, W7ASA, HA3FLT and 3 others like this.
  14. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really? I cannot agree with that @K7GYB. I admit, I am a high-end appliance operator: Rolex, Motorola, Titleist, etc. In the modern era, SDR [proper], SDR Icom - Elekraft, etc. what radio from a modern production line splattahs?! Sure, maybe an FT-101EE, or Drake TR-4 series, or I'd concede a lid operator who is 1 KC north or south of your frequency. Pffft. Filtering: learn to use it.

I jest somewhat, as I do not run amplification... anymore.

Happy Kwanza!

KD8ZM likes this.
  15. BD7BW

BD7BW Ham Member QRZ Page

G106 has been used for two months, and it feels more stable and effective than X6100. It's a QRP radio with everything. Even the power adjustment is inconvenient and inaccurate.