ad: k1jek

HR2.0 - Yaesu FT-710 AESS Demonstration with John Kruk, N9UPC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 5, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Today we have our hands on the newest HF radio from Yaesu, the FT-710 AESS, and I've invited John back onto the livestream to walk us through some menus and talk about the features of this new radio. Bring your questions and join us for the livestream!

TA2IRX, ONL13033, UR8VU and 10 others like this.
  2. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Really intresting new device. I am not a fan of shortwave. But maybe it will change. The new way for the audio to go first to the DigitalSignalProcessing, go next through a normalizer and ends in the equalizer of the Acoustic-Enhanced-Speaker-System is a new way. A good and technical complicated new solution for hams with smaller antennas, to overwork the incoming weaker signal. There is no wonder to await, but its a new professional idea. At next the new way to update the internal firmware is now at the current standard where many users waited for. No special software or anything that is nerve-wrecking like the own OS, which is not compatibel to the ideas of Yaesu.

TA2IRX, M1WML and KC5HWB like this.
  3. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice looking and practical radio, and it seems comparable to the ICOM IC-7300 which is a marketing success much like the IC-706MKIIG. Once in a while the "Big Three" hit a home run, or as the old saw goes, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut..." Sales will determine is those statements apply to the FT-710.

"When all else fails, there is Motorola." :D I am sure that'll rattle some cages!

Great video as usual, HWB, thanks and keep up the great work!

KN6TTG, WB2YMU, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  4. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ZES-1 "if" not "is".

BT AR

M1WML likes this.
  5. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

it is a stripped down version of the ftdx10...while the speaker is ok...who wants to lug around a speaker when you go mobile........there are features on the ftdx10 that is NOT on this model and there is some features that has less option than the ftdx10.........but we wont talk about that lets talk about the shinny new speaker that comes with it.

There is really no reason that a ham would want this next to his ftdx10 as i said it is a lite version of the ftdx10...same size as the ft991a but with a few less features.....

wish some one would really sit down and do a vid on the real difference in them.......

see how many hams go out and buy this only to find it does not do what the bi brother ftdx 10 does.

kinda like icom and the 705 , everyone went and bought one and now they are all over qrz for sale......lots of hype for a radio that really doesn't perform well.........but then again this is my opinion....

K4FMH, KD2ZZJ, M1WML and 5 others like this.
  6. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with everything you said.

However with this radio I am more so disappointed with the price point and the fact they included the “over-hyped” speaker to justify it.

Had this thing been priced right at 1K or little less they would not have been able to produce enough let alone keep any on the shelves.

A missed opportunity IMO.

KA4DPO, KB2SMS, KD2ZZJ and 6 others like this.
  7. W2JLD

Yes the price point should be lower!!

999.99 good price just under 1k

W0DN, N3EDO, WC4R and 4 others like this.
  8. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

They shot themselves in the foot on the price. And I'm sure it's sounds like all the other out the box. Muddy and mushy. This is why 7300 continues to dominate the market. The price and the audio

KB2SMS, KD2ZZJ and KT5OT like this.
  9. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey "Big Three" could we get a 50 watt mobile version of the IC-705 with a detachable face?
    Thank you.

AE2TT, W6BFK and WE1G like this.
  10. W2JLD

Instead of putting out new products that really miss the mark, why not do upgrades to others on the market that have proved their staying power.....firmware updates are the best way to enhance a radio......i don't want one that is missing features i want one that has all the features in a nice neat package.....not some shinny new speaker ......audio doesn't enhance the receive of he radio or enhance the capability of making contacts...big three should listen to the people that actually use these radios

KD2ZZJ, KE0GXN, W5AMG and 1 other person like this.
  11. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

It's as if they have decided for everyone what's in their best interest, this is what you get, take it or leave it.
    What happened to the days of the real ft101? Where they made changes to the radio based on what hams wanted and had done to the radio? Yaesu used to listen to the needs.
    Icom used to kinda do what you're referring to. 746, 746pro, 756,756pro, pro2, pro 3, 706, 706mk2, mk2g. Those were some of the best radios in my opinion because they kept "trying " to make them better without just making something new.
    I guess I will get off my soap box and stick to my old junk and my 891 and 991a radios.
    And yes the 991a needs firmware updates. It doesn't even have a true vfo A and B or dual watch. I'm sure some of that could be changed easily. It's the only shack in the box on the market unless you like qrp

W5AMG likes this.
  12. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2022-10-7_15-27-32.jpeg

ouch. I bet this is a really nice radio, but this hurts my hand to even watch.

I think this radio needs ambidextrous positioning. I could use that dial with my left hand ok.

I did enjoy the video.

KG7HVR and PY2NEA like this.
  13. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Randomly caught Yaesu's marketing in a few words @10mn (hadn't watched 3mn in total)
    "portable, go-box, field day..." and also "dithering" so that I won't die an idiot.
    No no no! but tks for trying, Yaesu.
    Back watching videos featuring my preferred high-end receivers from previous millennium.

Oliver

KC9LFJ, KD2ZZJ, K3RW and 3 others like this.
  14. N3HKN

N3HKN Ham Member QRZ Page

I missed some commentary due to mumbled responses due to turned head. . N3HKN

AK5B and K5TGS like this.
  15. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I don’t know about the muddy part….

Yaesu’s HF rigs are known for their receive capabilities.

It is well known the 7300 suffers from front-end overload in high noise environments….so I am not sure I would touting the 7300 as the end all be all.

KG4BFR, VE3EKN, AK5B and 2 others like this.