ad: Halibut-1

HR2.0 - Yaesu FT-710 AESS Demonstration with John Kruk, N9UPC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 5, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

I might doubt it ever goes cheaper than 1k, retail shop are even preparing customers to pay higher!
    [​IMG]
    Second-hand stuff already being way overpriced anyway, why would they lower any tag price? And you hardly get a decent (=reliable) older rig for half a thousand dollars today.
    But Radio is well and alive, never been so much cheaper than nowadays, blablabla... all's well, all's well (mantra-like)

Oliver

KE0GXN likes this.
  2. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hopefully Mr. Sherwood copyrighted his name…

He might as well get some royalties sent his way if they are going to tout his tests/rankings as the end all be all. ;)

PY2NEA likes this.
  3. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You know what we need? Someone to make a kind of box that one of these radios lacking decent knobs will fit into. Make the box out to have knobs for the functions you'd expect in a big flagship radio. Then program an arduino board to handle all of those functions between the knobs and the small radio, somehow.

4. W6BFK

W6BFK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed, the 7100 is getting long in the tooth. When will IC apply 705 technology to a mobile hf rig.

5. KI5BMK

KI5BMK Ham Member QRZ Page

Great new radio...External speaker and the AESS is a silly gimmick. Maybe if the internal and external speakers were better quality, it would work better. Anyway I attached the tried and true Yaesu Vertex speaker and wow it sounds great.

There are numerous detailed write-ups already...so I won't duplicate all that. It has a fantastic receiver that is much better than the Icom 7300.

When the price drops a $100.00 or so, it will be in its sweet spot. If you are on the fence between the 710 and the DX10...I own both and that is easy...buy the DX10.

N3EDO and KE0GXN like this.
  6. W9JTC

W9JTC Ham Member QRZ Page

I always wait to see if any surprises come up with a new radio. I waited almost 2 years for my IC-7300. I live in a relative quiet area so it does everything I need it do with ease. For now I will stay with my trusty ICOM. I hope they come out with a replacement down the line for the 7300. I am sure they are working on that already.

KD2ZZJ likes this.
  7. KE0GXN

I agree. Always best to let the “must have day one” folks work out all the kinks.

I am in no hurry either. My trusty 450D lets me work the world.

KN4NZT likes this.
  8. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

I opened my FT-710 box, set it up, and made a QSO. First impressions are that it's about the same size as an FT-450D, a radio that I really liked. Audio is a bit better, but I haven't played with it. There is much depth to this radio.

The spectrum display is small, but I haven't connected it to a monitor. I had a IF-pull-out kit on the FT-450D and it was better than the FTdx1200-- if a custom-ish (RTL-SDR) display. I'll have to buy an HDMI adapter for its DV jack, but these are cheap.

So far, it's not bad, and I can get to do things in a logical-if-Yaesu way. After the Ft Wayne Hamfest this weekend, I'll have more time to learn it. It has only one antenna jack... with all the implications. So far, I don't care.

73 Tom W9YW

KG4BFR and KE0GXN like this.
  9. VE3WWJ

VE3WWJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed. There's a growing trend (thanks apple) to just mix up existing models, with mostly cosmetic changes.... pay off some social media influencers... and bob's your uncle. I can't stand seeing the funny face screen shots anymore of product reviews either. Instant unsubscribe.

10. KG4BFR

KG4BFR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

$ The Rig is hovering around $US 1,100 and dropping 10Dec22

11. KG4BFR

KG4BFR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Rig for our Travel Trailer we wanted the Yaesu FT991a bit unobtainable ...

12. NC0B

NC0B Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been asking for 160m through 70cm replacement rig with removable control head like a 706 and 7000 for a long time. As you say, a big brother to the 705 seems so obvious it is odd Icom has no killer mobile rig offering. With sun spots improving, it is prime time to retire my 706MkIIG. Rob, NC0B

13. W8JH

W8JH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I see the price is down to $1049 now.

Rob, can’t you just “forget” to send back a radio after testing?

Joe, W8JH

14. KE0GXN

They got smart and finally priced it to sell.

15. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

For people who wants to know how the AESS sounds. Nice demonstration made by M0FXB in typical situations.