ad: Radclub22-1

Cambodia bans the FT-891

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 27, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE4OBE

KE4OBE Ham Member QRZ Page

Extremely shady. Something is afoot, as they say.

MM0JNL likes this.
  2. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So most people are fine with it. The rest can choose for themselves whether to continue to live in such a country. I think this problem with the radio is not the biggest there...

My friends tried to get permission to work from EZ in many ways. But one man there is personally opposed in principle. Wait until he dies...

KG7HVR, MM0JNL, G0OIL and 3 others like this.
  3. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah! Now we know the price! :confused:

AD5HR likes this.
  4. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds about right to me!

MM0JNL likes this.
  5. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of places have a "Jobs for the boys" policy!

KR3DX likes this.
  6. W0LEV

W0LEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not own an FT-891. However, being an intentional radiator (the transmitter), there should be an FCC ID code on the regulatory label. Once you have that, you can search the FCC data base for the report filed on the transmitter at the following URL:

https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid

The receiver comes under Part 15 at FCC as an unintentional radiator. I have input "Yaesu Musen" in the FCC search for the receiver. There are almost 900 listing and all, so far, show amateur frequencies. I don't have the time to scroll through all 900, but you can continue where I left off by requesting "Show Next 10 Rows" at the bottom of the table at:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearchResult.cfm?RequestTimeout=500

Yaesu should have the reports on file if they market the product in Europe as Europe requires a copy of the reports in at least one of the European countries.

Hope this helps!

Dave - WØLEV

XU7AKG likes this.
  7. K6VOX

K6VOX Ham Member QRZ Page

I would assume the brains at yaesu would have done that already?

8. HS0ZPC

HS0ZPC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As an interesting side note for the NON Asia hands, the US Dollar IS the de-facto official currency of Cambodia. Small matters of under a dollar are handled in the local currency, the Riel, which runs about 4000 riel to the dollar. Anything over a dollar or so is generally transacted in (preferably crispy) Yankee greenbacks...

KG7HVR, AJ4LN, DL6SEZ and 3 others like this.
  9. KC3NDU

KC3NDU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some countries use slave labor. Many countries use nefarious means. Let's call it the way it is. Right, wrong or indifferent.

AC0XR and AJ4LN like this.
  10. HS0ZPC

HS0ZPC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think what many posters here, who have been raised in western democracies, and benefited from science and fact based educational systems have a hard time grasping is that these matters and decisions frequently have absolutely nothing (or very little) to do with science, engineering lab data, spectral purity, etc. There is not an appeals process wherein one can present a reasoned logical argument to an unbiased arbiter or jurist. Facts and data are of no consequence in these systems regardless of the technical prowess or unquestioned veracity of the source agency. Any information or data which is derived outside the local system is considered suspect at best, and threatening at worst.

These matters are the typically the result of one decision, by one person in a position of authority, based on whatever criteria that person might consider important. This is the nature of these systems, and they exist all over the world. A solution to this particular problem is unlikely to be found through the injection of outside lab data, but rather through changing the opinion of the central official (or his superior) by whatever other means might be applicable.

Most westerners have a built in sense of "fairness" which underlies their reasoning and logic, and sometimes makes it difficult for them to live or work in such societies because this kind of individual and unaccountable authority just sticks in their craw as well... unfair. Well, perhaps it is, but it's very, very real, and to be successful within such systems one needs to set these western "biases" aside and work within the system's own set of "avenues" to achieve a positive outcome.

You can rest assured that the Cambodia based hams are very well aware of this, and are probably working on a "multi-pronged" approach with lab data and such being only one component.

73's
    HS0ZPC

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    KG7HVR, N3VFK, KR3DX and 10 others like this.
  11. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple of decades ago in Thailand , to operate , I would have been required to ship my transceiver to a specific Thai address and they would 'test it' and etc. If all goes well, I would (theoretically) receive my transceiver back with zero estimate of how long this would take and what it would cost me. Naturally, as a foreigner in their country, I would be required to pay all expences - no estimate provided. I would (at that time) have to provide the specifics of WHERE I would be operating and much more. The logic, I assume, was that with so many guerilla, narco and clandestine things going on in the rest of south east asia, transmitters were tightly controlled, because some people (at least one American comes to mind) were constantly trying to conduct cross-border operations in neighboring countries and tried to use Thailand as a base for radio and other operations. It was not well received by the Thai government. One radio club official told me "I can get your this rare 'station license' , but I would of course have to join his personal radio club (the fee was required upftont). This interview was absurdly laughable; dark room, lamp pointed into my face while he sat behind a large desk in the shadows , wore a semi-unform and dark aviator's glasses, slowly smoking his cigarette - like some B movie. You'd have thought that I was asking to buy Red Plutonium or something. I decided that listening on my little Sony shortwave was enough while I worked over there. The FOOD , however, was lovely, as were most of the people.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    KG7HVR, KR3DX and US7IGN like this.
  12. SV1RUX

SV1RUX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Follow the money ..........."

KG7HVR, G0OIL, KR3DX and 4 others like this.
  13. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds as if a business opportunity in Laos, Thailand, or Vietnam may have opened up for entrepreneurs.

KG7HVR likes this.
  14. SP3RXO

SP3RXO Ham Member QRZ Page

No. But to take the control of freedom of communication over the radio. This is what we will be seeing in the coming years.

KG7HVR, PY2NEA, KQ4CCO and 1 other person like this.
  15. SP3RXO

SP3RXO Ham Member QRZ Page

You're wrong. Ukraine suspended amateur radio licenses because of the war caused by Russia for the reasons of their country's security.