ad: QSLWorks-1

Why are some posts locked in the SK fourm?

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by W1BR, Aug 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I hear ya Janet - but the VAST MAJORITY of such comments posted simply reflect wording or thoughts expressed in an obituary announcement or on the Silent Key's own QRZ page.

And trust that ANY TIME someone hits "report" with a valid reason they consider the comment(s) to be not appropriate, Lee K2HAT, myself, or one of the other moderators will indeed remove them.

It's been very rare in my 4 years moderating that this has been a problem.

Locking the SK threads would cause more trouble than the benefit would justify in that we'd have many complaints about not being allowed to post friendly comments about a dear friend lost.

So just know, Janet, we are ALL very sensitive to this issue - and EVERY notice is monitored should something inappropriate be posted, or should a family member or friend hit "report" to make us aware.

It's VERY rare that happens.

Dave
    W7UUU

K1LKP likes this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

write THANK TOU.gif

3. WX7P

WX7P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave:

I'm not sure I'm buying the argument that the commentary is a reflection of "an obituary announcement or on the SK's own QRZ Page." I've looked at a number of the SK postings where this person has put religious imagery and there is no mention of any faith or anything else related to the gifs he posted.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. It's not my site, so I'll have to put up with some religious zealot (or more likely, a bored little old man) spamming the SK pages with this stuff. I've had him blocked for years, so I don't have to look at the stupid gifs he posts elsewhere. I don't come around much to the forums anymore anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point.

Changing the subject, I'm looking forward to your presentation to the SDXA regarding rebuilding after a fire. Your new setup looks great.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Oh gosh! I didn't know you'd be in attendance! I really hope to say hello on the Zoom call that evening :)

Feel free to start a PM with me on the other issue if you like as well....

See you on the 7th!

Dave
    W7UUU

K1LKP likes this.
  5. KB0TNG

KB0TNG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My father was SK back in 2003 and his callsign has long since expired. Can I "Add a new call sign" from my QRZ account of his call sign, then write something in his bio and the mark as SK?

6. W7UUU

No because his call sign will be (or already is) reassigned or in the vanity pool. The "Add a new call sign" is for adding a "/0" portable, or "/b" beacon but referencing your own call. Once the original owner has passed way, when a new custodian takes the account the page is restarted anew. Until that time, the page remains as a SK page and is unclaimed and may not be posted to. We CAN delete the content of the deceased member there if you request it.

Just go to the Silent Key forum and start a thread to remember your father, and post whatever memorial items you may wish.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?forums/silent-keys-friends-remembered.18/

Dave
    W7UUU

7. KB0TNG

Ok thanks. Yes I believe it's in the vanity pool.

-m

8. LU1XOP

LU1XOP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, I want to report some SK ham from my city:
    LU1XDD
    LU4XBJ
    LU3XBJ
    LU9XBI

9. UA6JD

UA6JD Platinum Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Set as S.K.

Vlad UA6JD/W7

10. KB0TNG

We have a silent key here in Minnesota.. NØKHH.

Thanks.

-m
    KBØTNG

11. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed a post the other day indicating that Janet, WX7P had become a silent key. Was sorry to hear of her passing, while we did not agree on much, she mostly gave a well-thought-out serious response to most threads.

The one thing I did notice is that her bio page on the Zed does not indicate she is SK? Was I mistaken on either observation?

12. W7UUU

OBVIOUSLY we don't change status of any user to SK without some sort of corroboration.

But if it's true that Janet has passed, that's sad - we had many many conversations together on the forum. I knew she was sick a few months ago - I did a program presentation for her local club, and she was really excited to see it, but was not able to attend due to illness. I will check with her other members and confirm - and if true, will find an obituary to post and will change her page.

:(

Dave
    W7UUU

K3XR likes this.
  13. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Dave. It was a post from Carmen where I first noticed her call.
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/a-moment-of-silence-thank-you.826506/#post-6278513

14. W7UUU

15. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Too many gone too soon. Seems like every week I hear of a former classmate passing. :(