ad: k1jek

New FT8 Software - AutoFT8

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Nov 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W9FFF

W9FFF Ham Member QRZ Page

You obviously didn't watch that video like you claimed you did. I said twice in that video that I would still do live streams which I've committed to and finishing up current videos I've been working on. But don't you worry, because of you're sincere attitude, I'll be back to making videos, with 20x more cuts, silly faces and everything else that you love. Thanks for all your support in the community. (the community thanks you too). You're the best!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    N4PAJ, KA2MWS, KJ7RDV and 5 others like this.
  2. W4LLZ

W4LLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally, I’d rather make contacts with humans than machines. But to each their own.

KF4ZKU, AJ6KZ, KF5KWO and 7 others like this.
  3. N0VTY

N0VTY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not worth the hassel

M1WML and W3AMT like this.
  4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What kind of reaction you were expecting to that video? Did you think people would coo and love on you for it ?

M1WML, W3AMT, WG7X and 4 others like this.
  5. WO2E

WO2E Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

W2JDB, K1BQY, NE3J and 21 others like this.
  6. NN4RH

After the video linked in the OP mysteriously became "unavailable", the thread was closed to new posts at some point in the past couple days, and has simply scrolled off a couple of pages. It's still there.

M1WML likes this.
  7. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

If not for auto-log on Z, LoTW, easy uploads to everywhere granting dummy-awards, true interest would be quite dim.

Oliver

W3AMT likes this.
  8. NN4RH

As for "AutoFT8" - just the next logical step in the trend to remove the amateur operator from amateur radio - doesn't surprises me anymore.

Anyone who's been around since 1972 may recognize the similarities between FT8 and Pong. AutoFT8 is like Pong set so that the computer plays against itself.

By the way I think what we're seeing with the Youtubes these days also isn't particularly new & innovative either. It's just Gangnum Style (2012) with a little Max Headroom (1985) tossed in.

M0YJB, M1WML, N0YPD and 7 others like this.
  9. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

M1WML, KP4SX and KY4GD like this.
  10. IW3ILM

IW3ILM Ham Member QRZ Page

Very well: so I can go shopping...

M1WML likes this.
  11. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nobody is making you use it. Why do you care?

M1WML, K3SX and KD5BVX like this.
  12. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I remember correctly...... one Awards group recently rejected all FT8/FT4 contacts from a DXpedition for allegedly using this "auto operate" feature. Many thousands of contacts.
    Seems like they chose the "guilty until proven innocent" approach IMHO.

So far all I have seen from FT4/8 and similar robotic digital modes has been detrimental to the hobby.

That, along with remote operations, has essentially destroyed the pride of earning awards and bragging rights.

Where's the sport in setting up multiple rigs on different bands and letting your computer make contacts 24/7/365 without any human present?
    Big deal...... your computer exchanged data with another computer. Where's the hands on human interaction Amateur Radio used to be?

What good are awards when a remote station can be used to hand you contacts without effort?

One Op spends hours trying to make a DXpedition contact with his little pistol 100w and a wire station while his neighbor rents a remote station in a prime location and works the same DXpedition on all bands and modes.

Do you really want to donate money to a DXpedition that can put their equipment on automatic pilot while they go tour and sightseeing? If that's the case you can help fund my next vacation.

Some technology has weakened the true spirit of this great hobby and I hope it survives.

K7LZR, KI5GFU, M1WML and 9 others like this.
  13. KA4VNM

KA4VNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like FT8 in some ways, not so much in others. The upside is it's easy to run while I work in my home office, I can watch activity as time permits and make a few contacts. What I don't like is how its overshadowed more conversational digital modes where you can actually have a real QSO. I'd like to see is a way I can program a filter that only displays zones/prefixes I need or want, also would like a more POTA friendly way to use it, and would love to see more activity in other modes where you can exchange more information on the fly. Just one guys take...

AA5BK, M1WML and N8ZI like this.
  14. KG5JJ

KG5JJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Pfft.

Everyone knows you're not a REAL ham unless you have used a spark-gap transmitter and a straight key weighing more than your first born. (sarcasm off)

Don't work auto stations. Problem solved.

M0YJB, M1WML, W9FL and 4 others like this.
  15. KY4GD

KY4GD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hah! Some people apparently feel that FT-8 is a hack of ham radio in general. Some people developed bots that hack that hack, and apparently people are hacking the hack of the ham hack.

This reminds me of the movie Inception. The meta is dizzying. :)

KF4ZKU, M1WML, K8XG and 4 others like this.