ad: chuckmartin

New FT8 Software - AutoFT8

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Nov 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

It's really rather simple: clicks = bucks. There's a mutual interest at work here.

M1WML, G7DAZ and WC6Q like this.
  2. F1TRF

F1TRF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

quel intérêt de faire du FT8 en automatique ?
    il faudrai que les échanges précisent que c'est un contact automatique
    je passe des heures devant mon écran, pendant que d'autres appuis sur un bouton et vont boire le café.

M1WML likes this.
  3. WC6Q

WC6Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

D'accord. Elle aux États-Unis, c'est en fait illégal. Même si ce n'était pas illégal, ce ne serait pas amusant.

M1WML and (deleted member) like this.
  4. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  5. KY4GD

KY4GD Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. FT-8 makes it easier to make contacts in many ways, but to say that it is nothing but pointing and clicking is like saying that SSB is nothing but talking. SSB, CW and other digital modes are certainly more involved, but do we belittle SSB because it is less complex than EME? "You aren't a real ham if your signal travels less than a quarter of a million miles." :)

Regardless of the mixed feelings about FT-8 overall, I think the vast majority of us agree that automating FT-8 contacts is about the same level of excitement as watching an ant farm. And IMHO that is good. Does it devalue awards somewhat? Probably, but how much is the FT-8 WAS worth to begin with? Exactly. :)

W2ZF, M1WML, KC1OCA and 2 others like this.
  6. AE0IT

AE0IT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There’s no need to ask for forgiveness. He’s a forum lurker who feels the need to point out grammatical errors on almost every post. Just make sure that you don’t use capital letters when using the word “ham”. I wonder if I’ll be as cranky when I get old. :(

M1WML, KD5BVX, KC7ZXY and 2 others like this.
  7. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My two year old gets just as cranky. Consider it reliving your youth.

M1WML likes this.
  8. KA4VNM

KA4VNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The interesting part is low power is great until the 100 watters and up on FT8 show up. It is reflective in many ways to CW and SSB etc. It can be a challenge and does take some patience to get through sometimes. IMHO it's just another outlet and a way to make some contacts, exercise the antenna and your brain. I have my 100 some CW, SSB, FT8 even a couple RRTY. It is in the end about having fun.

M1WML, KC7ZXY and N3RYB like this.
  9. HB9FLU

HB9FLU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A nightmare comes true.

Das ist der schlimmste Auswuchs des Amateurfunks.

It is a questiuon of honour NOT to use that piece of c...

73 Manfred, HB9FLU

I do not want to QSO with just a robot

M1WML, WG7X, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  10. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He apparently took the video down…..not surprised. I would opinion why…but I am sure it would just draw out the usual suspects who would argue otherwise. :rolleyes:

Maybe he will tell us…maybe not..oh well, life goes on, folks will continue to hang out in their garages, sheds, basements or whatever…..aspiring to be the next 200K subscriber “popular” YT star…. SMH

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    M1WML likes this.
  11. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Then don't?

M1WML, W9FL and KC7ZXY like this.
  12. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

According the Tubers…Apparently not. ;)

M1WML likes this.
  13. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. And on and on and on....

M1WML likes this.
  14. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes. Some do.

My take on FT8. I like it. If it weren't for FT8, I'd have maybe a few hundred log entries, not the 17,000+ I have now. A contact is a contact - over the air, into the ether. Period. Haven't watched any videos, nor will I; I plop down in front of it and see what's on. Nothing on? I go do something else. Letting it run while I'm not in front of it is not for me. I have tried WSJT-Z, don't care for it and don't use it, but I'm not gonna poo-poo it. I do NOT agree that FT8 is the mode of choice if your station/antennas suck (heard that inference on here a few times); I've done OK and had fun with garbage antennas in the past long before FT8 was a thing, so, that's how I roll...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    KF4ZKU, AA5BK, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  15. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

No point arguing about the ham 'value' of the non-traditional mode (NTM). It has found a niche, and may stay with us for some time to come. Positions, for and against it, are 'set in stone' and won't change anytime soon.

As for me, radio is between two antennas. What is before the TX antenna and after the RX antenna is just 'payload'. A modicum of 'intelligence' is needed to differentiate the signal from naturally occurring radio phenomena, but that is it. Everything else is personal preference.

As for contacting bots, not a problem, as long as the bot is in the entity it claims to be. If my signal reached the entity, and I received a reply back from the entity, it's good enough for me.

I won't host/operate a bot, but I see possible future uses for them in hard to reach, dangerous, and/or costly to activate DX entities. All legally done, of course. I'm not advocating for Special Ops to drop bots in entities where amateur radio is not authorized.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    M1WML, KE5CT, KO2Q and 1 other person like this.