ad: M2Ant-1

Is this the worst antenna for portable use? - Comet HFJ-350M Toy Box

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Sep 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4OP

W4OP Ham Member QRZ Page

I would love to see the math behind a 1M STL that is 15% efficient on 40M or 70% on 20M.
    Dale W4OP

KB2HSH and M1WML like this.
  2. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess an Antenna Analyzer, in an abstract way, could be considered as 'Helping' the Tuner....

So I guess it could be called the:

upload_2021-9-1_16-54-7.png

Sorry, I just had to do it, please forgive me.

N4ABA, W0AZ, KY4GD and 7 others like this.
  3. W4SIJ

W4SIJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This antenna does work. The first thing you have to do is NOT mount it on the radio. Use a tripod. Second, when adjusting the whip move it up or down only a millimeter in either direction anything more than that will shoot you up or down into another band. Finally, as for the counterpoise, keep it about 18 inches off the ground. I carry a fiberglass kite stake just for this.

I'm running FT8 at 5w:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

KO4ESA and M1WML like this.
  4. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FWIW, I just got back from a greulling 30 point SOTA day in the White Mountains of NH.

I didn't need a "Toy Box".

I just used a 2m HT and 5/8 wave vertical telescoping whip and made QSOs on three peaks, some clocked in at well over a hundred miles, on 146.52

My KX2 which was ready if needed, only has the AX-1 whip for this trek, due to weight... that combo works well with a counterpoise.

You don't need a Toy Box when you have a Mountain.

73 de KA1YBS

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    G0CIQ and KI4POT like this.
  5. W4SIJ

W4SIJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

IMG_0557.jpg

KO4ESA, G0CIQ, JJ1PMZ and 1 other person like this.
  6. AI6NL

AI6NL Ham Member QRZ Page

Arnold Schwarzenegger says, "It's not a tuner!"

K6MCS, AI6XK, VK3DEK and 3 others like this.
  7. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Clickbait thumbnail. Clickbait title.

Personal anecdote: I've worked QRP for years. The 817nd was my first HF radio. I actually get a little angry now looking back at how Youtubers and certain equipment manufacturers market overpriced wares to the QRP / Novice crowds. Any Youtuber that says this, or similar overpriced compromised antennas, are good for QRP should be called out on the spot.

It is TOO EASY to build a simple end fed or dipole...even if you don't own a soldering iron. Youtubers that actually care about the hobby...care about new hams....should spend their time showing how to build simple and effective antennas. Any content creator promoting these items is nothing more than an influencer / marketer.

KB2HSH, AJ6KZ, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  8. W1LJ

W1LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You couldn’t be more incorrect. Want some expert disagreement? Buy an ARRL Antenna Book or read some of Cebik’s articles on multiband doublet antennas - not resonant in any ham band, yet highly efficient. Even has gain over a resonant, half wave dipole.

KI4YTV, KO2Q, K2LED and 6 others like this.
  9. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've done it for fun. Twice. :D

K2LED and M1WML like this.
  10. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

'I don't know why they call it "Tuna Helper." We've found it does just fine on its own.'

N1ZZZ, K6MCS, K3SX and 2 others like this.
  11. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

cloud warmer.. :p:p

12. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

anything that gets warm at the tuner is wasted power at the antenna.. simple rely..

13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I, too, appreciate the enthusiasm and its value in sparking interest and action with viewers - especially newcomers. However...

...it's when inaccurate, misleading, or out and out wrong information is so enthusiastically disseminated, which happens altogether too frequently it appears, is when newcomers are done a huge disservice.

Odd how one very rarely sees a YouTube "influencer" correct, let alone acknowledge such mistakes in subsequent videos. Eating humble pie is honesty and virtuous - carelessly leaving a trail of misinformation uncorrected is not.

K6MCS, KR3DX, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  14. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree with the simplicity and effectiveness of a dipole. But don't forget simple 1/4 wave verticals with elevated radials - 2 are sufficient. Especially effective at the coast, but effective from any location. Typically much easier to deploy than a dipole.

Qualification: daily /P operator.

M1WML likes this.
  15. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, old son, according to the SOTA database 1029 activators have recorded activations on 80m. Top of the table is SQ9MDF with 2,749 points. Clearly lots of sotari are up for the challenge even if you aren't!

W4NNF, M1WML and MW1CFN like this.