ad: elecraft

Is this the worst antenna for portable use? - Comet HFJ-350M Toy Box

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Sep 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KG5WY

KG5WY Ham Member QRZ Page

Get off the CB bands and get on HF. Be a real ham.

M1WML likes this.
  2. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The worst antenna is a HyEndFed 10/20/40 QRP EFHW. It was so bad I almost gave up on ham radio when I first started doing SOTA. Bought a SOTAbeams BandHopper and the world opened up to me on 5w.

M1WML likes this.
  3. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 3 band version and that is my favorite antenna for SOTA. If you have the space to set it up you just can't beat it. I alternate between that and a linked EFHW that I built for 20/30, which I use when it is inconvenient to put up the dipole.

K0TWA and M1WML like this.
  4. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect that your bad results were caused by either a coax between your rig and antenna transformer that was too short to form any kind of counterpoise or by not using a dedicated counterpoise at all. An EFHW antenna can be as good as a doublet, as long as you ensure there is a counterpoise. After all, we all know we cannot light a bulb from a battery with just one wire, do we?

M1WML, KR3DX, N1RBD and 1 other person like this.
  5. M7BLC

M7BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

CB Bands on 11 meters perform pretty much the same as the 10 meter band. Now the operators are another matter :) . No offence intended - I still use CB !

AJ6KZ and M1WML like this.
  6. MM0JNL

MM0JNL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did nobody else notice he called the analyser a tuner at the beginning. Also... with these QRP type radios, Including the FT-818/817, there is a capacitive coupling to the operator when the antenna is attached to the radio so the external analyser is just a brick in the bag. This truly does sound like seeking issues with the antenna rather than make the effort to make it work simply and effectively.

There are a wide diversity of opinions here and this is good. Sadly not so many open minds...

QUESTION TIME?????

Who makes the best "throw and go" QRP portable antenna with the easiest setup and greatest efficiency with regard to the context??

Your turn................................... GO!!!!!!!

M1WML likes this.
  7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say and end fed if you have tree's to throw it up. Next in line a portable vertical. For end feds I like the Palomar bullet. Have one up and another in the go bag with the right wire length no tuner needed but have some cut dipoles too. For vertical I use Wolf river coils with several combo attachments in the go bag. I don't really portable anymore so they are emergency antennas now. Cannot forget the sling shot either with several different lead weights and a roll of 3/16 para cord.

M1WML, K8XG and MM0JNL like this.
  8. N1IPU

There are lotions for sensitive skin.

M1WML likes this.
  9. N1IPU

With about 20' of coax , a ground stake and counterpoise they work as well as most verticals. It's compact and get's the job done. Some people cannot figure out how to change a tire but that doesn't stop me from doing it.

M1WML likes this.
  10. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The antenna was specifically touted as not needing a CP. After I learned more and knew what i was doing, I measured the SWR. It was over 2.0 on all three bands. I use a QRP-Guys EFHW for SOTA and am very pleased with the results. Can't argue with a 339 from Georgia to New Zealand. :)

M1WML and AJ6KZ like this.
  11. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do based off my needs...for a fraction of the cost of the mass produced versions.

M1WML and AJ6KZ like this.
  12. AI6XK

AI6XK Ham Member QRZ Page

Please also note that those radials he is using are ALL way to short for each of the bands he is trying to tune up on!!! 160 Meters 1/4 WaveLength radial is a bit over 123 feet!!! And he should be using at least 4 of them!!!! I am sure that that is not helping his SWR either!! :)

M1WML likes this.
  13. AI6XK

AI6XK Ham Member QRZ Page

erroneous response - sorry! having internet problems!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    M1WML likes this.
  14. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

I just went.

As for portable antennas, I have had fairly good luck with a Wolf River Coils vertical and a 53' end fed wire and 9:1 balun/unun. The LDG Z-11 ProII will tune that wire quite well. Then there is the perennial question of "what's the best"... I surmise the "best" is whatever works for the individual or group using it.

G0CIQ, M1WML, K8XG and 1 other person like this.
  15. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to soak the string in salt water for the best results Hi Hi 73 de John - G0WXU

G0CIQ and M1WML like this.