ad: ProAudio-1

We talk to John Kruk of Yaesu about the new FT5DR on Coffee and Ham Radios

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK6USY, Aug 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KK6USY

KK6USY Ham Member QRZ Page

On Coffe and Ham Radios we talk with John Kruk of Yaesu and ask him about the new FT5DR HT. There has been a lot of speculation of the radio watch and find out the reasons for this new radio.

KC7ZXY and KB7THL like this.
  2. VE3TSV

VE3TSV Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not going sit through a 1:39:46 video. At what point do they get around and talk about the FT5?

G1HYD, W6WR, K3RW and 12 others like this.
  3. W9FFF

W9FFF Ham Member QRZ Page

A few minutes in

M1WML likes this.
  4. W3KW

W3KW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So, can this be used for Sat work or not? Can I record my QSO’s? If not, I’m out. I already bought the 1D, 2D, 3D, and 70D. If I can’t cross-band repeat or record, it’s essentially the exact radio as the previous models. Sorry. I never use them because I can’t use them for Sat work (unless I use two of them). The Alinco is my go to there. So, mainly, they sit there and collect dust. I do carry one with me at all times traveling for emergencies, but that’s it.

My daughter might say it like this:

5D is to the 3D as the 818 is to the 817?

All right. Fine. I’ll still buy one cause it’s cool. Darn it. (I own 3-818’s)

here’s another: the Icom 9700 is to Sat Comms as the Yaesu ______ is to Sat comms?

VE2HEW, N7KO, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  5. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

I loved watching John Kruk get freaked out by a Randy Johnson pitch thrown over his head in the 1993 All-Star Game.

An easy strikeout after that.

Classic.

Scott N7JI

Seems to have shaved off the mullet, however. Also, nice radio.

WU3U and M1WML like this.
  6. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice radio.. ;)

7. KB9HGI

KB9HGI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't think I want to spend 500.00 on a HT when I have the FT-1D and the FT-2D I was going to buy the FT-3D but did not see any since in it to just have a pretty screen

W3KW and N7KO like this.
  8. W1MDM

W1MDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ID-52.. :)

K8HIT and WM7C like this.
  9. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like youtubers will beat this subject to death over and over again. In my view this handheld like many others is a scam to sucker in the new radio and gadget clans when its just a 500 dollar menu brick like the rest.

In hard real use it will be as useless as the rest. Simple, Solid and Reliable have left the building.

WA8QQU, UT7UX, N4CAX and 4 others like this.
  10. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Icom IC-9700 is to sat comms as the Yaesu --yet to be released-- is to sat comms.

W3KW likes this.
  11. W0FLZ

W0FLZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just replaced an FT-726R with an IC-9700. At one point I wished there were a comparable Yaesu, but the Icom is really nice and I am enjoying it.

12. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The FT-726R is an excellent radio for sat comms, but the passage of time has allowed for many features to be incorporated into the IC-9700 which simply weren't possible when the FT-726R came along.

After watching a good bit of the video, I see no reason to purchase the FT5D since I already own the FT3D; particularly with the 3:5 being compared to the 817:818.

W3KW likes this.
  13. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

wake me when they replace the FT-857 .....or add VHF UHF to the FT-891

also, please make an affordable dual bander like the FTM-100 or 7250 with a detachable face

W4EAE and DJ8PA like this.
  14. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd love to see a single-band analog FM HT with the receiver performance of the old Icom IC-V8, but in the size and durability of the Yaesu VX-7r, and with a BNC antenna connector. I doubt they'd sell many though. People buying basic HTs are typically buying chinese radios. Folks buy the more expensive Japanese HTs are looking for additional features.

I do use the "gadgets" in my TH-D74. I bought it specifically for the APRS and GPS features and those have been useful additions for me.

Chris

AG5DB likes this.
  15. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

If they made an 891 with 2m SSB/FM, I'd probably buy one. Having 100w HF with 50W+ on 2m would be nice. Otherwise, I'm doing just fine with my KX2.

Chris