ad: CQMM-1

We talk to John Kruk of Yaesu about the new FT5DR on Coffee and Ham Radios

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK6USY, Aug 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK4JW

KK4JW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

People wonder why hams buy Baofengs.. This is exactly why. $500 for an HT is absurd. Obviously hams with more money than sense will lap it up though.

I'll stick with my UV5R and when I feel "fancy", I'll power up my Yaesu FT65.

KB9MWR, UT7UX, M0TNX and 3 others like this.
  2. W0DN

W0DN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought the FT-65 , comes with a drop in quick charger. $80 and I can
    hit my regular repeater with 2.5watts, the irregular repeater takes 5 watts.

Its sturdy, simple and just works.

WØDN

3. N4CAX

N4CAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Guaranteed, they'll regurgitate each others videos for lack of originality and talent.

4. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

FT5DR GREETINF SINCERRELY vy73 djoaj ekrem

5. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is it about HTs that gets the average Ham all riled up?! Honestly, if you want a reliable, easy to program, HT I'd recommend the Motorola XPR75xx series.

6. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I see Motorola recommended as an alternative to the traditional amateur market options, but I don't understand why.

Based on what I've managed to glean so far:
    Pros:
    Durability
    Radio Price

Cons:
    Accessory prices (programming cables, software, etc)
    Programming Complexity
    Receiver Performance (the one model I looked at had lower sensitivity and worse filtering specs than your typical Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood HT)

It seems like it might make sense if you either are strictly DMR or repeater oriented and have access to a commercial radio shop with the infrastructure to program the radios. But, if you're a simplex user and just starting out with Motorola as an individual, it doesn't add up.

What am I missing that makes Motorola a better choice than the others?

Chris

7. KQ1V

Great comments, Chris. I'd also say a con would be price, and not to cite stereotypes, but many hams are cheap or thrifty. Also, I'd add that Moto HTs are for repeater use but then again, aren't most HTs?! I have a DMR Moto but seldom use it, and it is 'sort of like' D-Star in that you can talk all over the world and the audio quality is not good. That said, I completely disagree about sensitivity; I've taken mine into the RF Zones in Boston and NYC and never heard a beep, bleep or bip, unlike the cheaply made front end of hammy radios; there is a reason why Moto is used in critical government communications: sensitivity and reliability. Spec sheets, I'm not going to argue as numerically you may be right, but performance-wise I'll take a Moto over any Hammy HT any day. I'll add that the programming is no more complex than using RT Systems... thing is it requires people to acquire legal software and each generation of radio has it's own CPS. Long gone are the days of the "rib". As a side note, I have a Motorola Solutions account which is used to acquire programming software. Three years for $300.00; off-putting to the average thrifty ham. Includes all versions, updates, and technical patches. This software can be used for my APX8000, APX1500, APXX4500 and APX6500. Cable was $15.00 on Amazon. Ebay is full of batteries (OEM and Batwing), microphones (Bluetooth and cable), and an array of replacement antennas, belt holders, and drop in chargers.

Purchasing power and preference. Some guys are Ford guys, others, Chevy and somehow they all get us back and forth.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  8. WM7C

WM7C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Waiting one year for the FT6D with minor updates.

9. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on what I've seen online, Moto HTs aren't really all that more expensive than a premium HT. It looks as if I can get one on eBay for about $150 with battery and charger, then a programming cable for $130, and $100/year for the software. That compares favorably with the mid-to-upper tier Japanese HTs (2 of my 3 HTs exceeded that). The yearly programming fee would be the main concern because of the recurring nature.

I don't use repeaters, so simplex performance is my primary concern.

There's a couple points here. Sensitivity and filtering may feel the same operationally. A radio with lower sensitivity but superior filtering may "hear" better without letting in extraneous noise in such environments, but not be a better radio in quiet environments. With the Motos being designed for repeater use, they don't need to be super sensitive. You're not using one in an official capacity to talk 50+ miles (as I routinely with my HTs). Also, it seems Motos are more narrowly designed and don't include "wideband receive", "airband", etc. My IC-V8 is silent in environments that drive my VX-7r crazy, while still being more sensitive on a mountain top. This is because it does the 2m band and WX only. I think it is this narrow mission focus that allows the Motos to be good at what they are intended for more so than the amateur HTs that must be all things to all people.

It seemed to be a common refrain that the Motos were challenging to program, but people say that about amateur HTs, which hasn't been my experience. I think the $300/3yr cost of the software can be off-putting when the alternative is typically $50 or less one time with free updates and patches. As a Linux user, I would have to get the software running under Wine or a VM unless there's a Linux version that I haven't found yet.

I might be coming across a bit dismissive, but I'd be interested in trying one in the field where I use my HTs

Chris

KQ1V likes this.
  10. KQ1V

I have a current production APX8000, flashed pretty good too, and I am in it for >$6k. I bought mine from a Moto retiree from 9-Country. Wonderful radio. I used it, and carried it 24/7, when I was an Auxiliary/Special Police Officer (public safety pairs). It replaced my XTS3000, plus I made up a scan list so I could chat ham and set my police department as primary.

Zones and Scanning are something that most ham radios fail at, imho.

Also, I loaded it for my GMRS license, 2 / 400 hamming analog and P-25, as well as low power MURS and FRS, even VHF Marine and NOAA WX.

I will say, that I only use simplex at Flea Markets. :D In fact, I seldom use my APX8000 anymore, and I'd like to replace it with an APX 7000 VHF/R1.

The beauty of this hobby, is that there is something for everyone.

Hank

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  11. WW4LDO

WW4LDO Ham Member QRZ Page

The Ft-3 was around $450-500 when it came out and dropped in price fairly rapidly. I got mine for $340 from HRO in late Nov ‘19.

12. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if such may happen in the near future... seeing price decreases (beyond the usual "Black Friday" sales) on the FT-5DR lately.

Heck, maybe I should just wait for the FT-7DR... or at least the FT-DX-6DR Field. ;)

WM7C likes this.
  13. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Update: I just found a great out the door price point on the FT-5DR (and RT Systems software/cable, charger, and DEC cable), so I pulled the trigger.

Translation from UCS (Used Car Salesman) to English: I just found a good deal on the FT-5DR (plus above accessories), so I bought it. :)