ad: AbAuRe-1

Best HF Multiband Vertical Antenna?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jul 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Callum said to put a pipe inside the base after removing the cap. Sounded good at first but after looking at one I understood just how much stress your putting on it guyed or not. Between that and it needing guys put me off it. I am not a fan of guys but in a portable op I don't think its a big problem.
    I had a 40' milspec mast drop because a deer decided to bolt right into one guy. That wood rat was after the garden but got more than he bargained for with the dog. He made sure I paid the price for it on the way out. Haven't like using guys since unless steel cable. Even than a 120# wood rat full speed could shake things pretty good. Not much of an issue on Callums Island I guess.

M1WML likes this.
  2. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that the first time I ever heard a vertical rhombic, was on the Pacific
    Maritime Service talking with Roger on 21.412 (W1VDE)

Rhombics are the ultimate wire antennas.

M1WML likes this.
  3. AB0R

AB0R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, but can you put into a small bag for transport and be on the air within 10 minutes? Plus, Rhombics are so old. :)

M1WML and AK5B like this.
  4. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Best vertical ever? Nope, just the latest to make your "feel goods" elevate after spending the money. Nothing new here, the "best" vertical ever has a long rich history dating at least back to the 60s:

70431D85-497D-4C58-883D-B0C0B4485D38.jpeg

I can work DX too when the band is open - with a wire strung between two trees. Making contacts is NOT a measure of efficiency, it's a measure of band conditions. Anything can make contacts given the right circumstances.

WD4ELG, KR3DX, WA8FOZ and 2 others like this.
  5. G4YTK

G4YTK Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad you are still pleased with your DXC. I have had mine up since early April. I am very pleased with it. I concreted a 1 metre pole in the ground, removed the cap on the base of the DXC and slipped it over the pole and just use 3 lower guys I also concreted 3 large camping pegs in the ground . I have buried my 5 bunches of radials. It works very well, I am so pleased I spent just over £200 on it, I nearly sent £500 on a Gap, so pleased I did not.

PA1ZT, M1WML and VK7HH like this.
  6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  7. KB0R

KB0R Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, Lightning Bolt Antenna
    I had the 10/15 meter quad back in 1998 as that is all I could fit between my trees.
    Worked the world with that antenna./

Larry KB0R

M1WML likes this.
  8. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am glad you purchased the lightning bolt. He (Mike) made his own spreaders, that is why it was cheap (Cost effective, so to speak). He was a great fellow, One day he decided to close shop...and that was that. DE NN2X Tom

M1WML likes this.
  9. KQ9I

KQ9I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sigh. Yet another post that shows what a cesspit the QRZ forums are. Unhelpful, judgmental and argumentative for no good reason. It's a Youtube video. They always have a click-baity title to get people to watch. It's called hyperbole. Ignore it and just watch the video if you're interested in the antenna: it's actually got some helpful info about how the antenna has held up for the op in his conditions. If you're not interested in the antenna, then don't post. If you do feel the need to criticize the antenna and/or its buyers or vendors, get one, compare it to other similar antennas, and post your results. Ideally, compare it to other vertical antennas w/ radials (which the "V-80", which I've never heard of, doesn't seem to have).

I have a DX Commander and definitely "feel goods" after spending what I consider a very reasonable amount of money. It's not perfect, but no antenna is. It has a number of advantage: decent performance on 80m because it has a full 1/4wave element in an inverted L configuration (I anchor the end of the 80m element to a similar mast, but from Jackite, so the horizontal section of the antenna is up about 30ft). It's relatively inexpensive, uses high quality materials, works VERY nicely given my very small backyard, and also, given the fact that I'm renting, I can take the sucker down every couple of weeks when the yard guys come to mow, and have it back up in 15 minutes. I've spent quite a bit of time comparing it to my previous vertical EARCHI Endfed matchbox antenna, and while that little antenna is a great performer, the DXC seems to be about ~20% better in reaching to DX stations on PSKreporter.

I don't know if it's the "best" HF antenna for anything, but for my finances, location, and situation I feel comfortable saying the DXC is probably the best all-band option, for me, at this time. Eventually, when we have our own place, I'll put up a Yagi or hexbeam, but I'll still keep the DXC up.

KQ9I

KD9UQE, K6GS, K2CD and 7 others like this.
  10. KD2ZZJ

KD2ZZJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[QUOTE="NN2X, post: DE NN2X Tom[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that you had to change your equipment, good luck with your new setup, de Ei2iP

M1WML likes this.
  11. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My Butternut HF9V ground mounted vertical has been up since 2009, and I have worked all over the world, including FT5ZM on 80m CW! :) It's been a great performer, especially for the 30, 40 & 80 m bands.

M1WML likes this.
  12. K6WI

K6WI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've worked over 10,000 miles with my DX Commander. Works really good.

M1WML likes this.
  13. K9YM

K9YM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My Zero-Five 30ft flagpole antenna, has been up since 2011. I have worked 235 countries with the antenna. The low angle pattern of a vertical, is really good for DX, although you may have to work a bit harder than using a beam. :)

Dave
    K9YM

N4FZ and KD2ZZJ like this.
  14. KD2ZZJ

KD2ZZJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Out of interest, 10,000miles to where? what mode, what power?

15. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've worked west coast of Australia from Virginia, which is over 11,000 miles, on 80 and 40 meters with a Butternut HF2V, and 20 and 15 meters with a Hustler 6BTV. 50 watts on CW.

The HF2V and 6BTV, along with the DX Commander, are all basically just 1/4 wave verticals. So it's mostly about the radials, ground conductivity, and solar flux.

And what's at the other end play a big role - if the other end is a legal limit station with a beam on a tower, they're doing most of the work; what you're using matters less.

How many countries worked, or farthest contact, or first contact out of the box, actually doesn't say much of anything about the antenna, without the full context.

If any quarter-wave-ish vertical failed to make contact at 10,000 miles, with an amp and beam at the other end, especially in a mode like FT8; then that would be more interesting to me than anecdotes about how many countries worked or farthest contact, etc.

That said, it is useful to know about the durability of the antenna as the OP was describing. It would be interesting to have an update in another 6 months or a year.

WD4ELG, VK7HH and (deleted member) like this.