ad: elecraft

HR2.0 - Bioenno Power 160 Watt-Hour Renewable Power Pack | Solar Generator, Off-Grid Power

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, May 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OLDARCHER, KO4ESA, N4AAT and 4 others like this.
  2. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Jason, nice video.

OLDARCHER, KO4ESA and KC5HWB like this.
  3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. KD2WLL

KD2WLL Ham Member QRZ Page

The video said that the term "solar generator" was strange so which ham were you referring to?

KO4ESA, KA0HCP, W4CDO and 3 others like this.
  5. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If he ever watched the videos he'd know most of his comments he puts on Jason's threads are off-base...but he doesn't watch so, therefore, he doesn't know that Jason actually mentioned this and how the naming is not an accurate depiction of what the product does.

6. KE0CAA

KE0CAA Ham Member QRZ Page

sadly solar generator is an industry term for larger portable battery solutions. Bioenno is not the first to use this term and they will not be the last. Its like many of the other buzz words these days like cloud computing. We have to include the word solar even though our product does not natively do anything with solar.

AD5KO, KO4ESA, M5FRA and 1 other person like this.
  7. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

^ This

I thought it was a strange term. But I am strange also. So I guess I should be happy with the term too.

KO4ESA and 2E0TWD like this.
  8. M5FRA

M5FRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, I just didn't know that I had built a 'solar generator' by using a folding solar panel, a charge controller, a battery and a power pole distribution board.

KO4ESA and KC5HWB like this.
  9. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually it's worse. Most of these so-called "solar generators" don't even come with solar panels, they're just batteries with inverters and charge controllers. Ignoring what many manufacturers call them, it's a handy package, but the term is misleading.

Having watched the video, the OP questioned the term himself, so I think we're good to go on the ideological purity test. :)

Chris

AD5KO, KO4ESA, KC5HWB and 2 others like this.
  10. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

I swear, some of the people on this forum are worse than a 14-year-old troll posting things from their mom's basement. And instead of apologizing for posting something inaccurate, I find out all too often they think just deleting the content of the post will suffice. Like no one could ever see the original content any way LOL. And folks complain about the youth of today ;)

OLDARCHER, N7BWB, W5LMM and 1 other person like this.
  11. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never been off grid and don't really have a set up to do so.
    I mainly prefer to receive as I have not yet figured out how to get
    a station going here at the new QTH. There are so many power options
    hams have today that we didn't have even a decade ago. As it is,
    I could probably find enough used 18650's to power a station on
    receive for a decade if not more. Then again, a crystal set
    buried with me, and I'll receive forever. :)

KO4ESA likes this.
  12. KE0CAA

KE0CAA Ham Member QRZ Page

13. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure this is a good video--I'm a big fan of Jason's YouTube shows.

One thing ticks me off. Have you noticed the battery makers have taken to expressing capacity in watt-hours instead of amp-hours? I guess they think "160 watt-hours" is just a lot more impressive sounding than a mere "13 amp-hours." :D

KO4ESA, KI5OCO, KA0HCP and 4 others like this.
  14. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps, and if the amp-hours are always quoted at 12V, that might work. But I'd say that watt-hours is the more relevant term, particularly for a device that has something like an inverter, or a buck or boost converter, making it capable of delivering power at a different voltage than the native voltage of its batteries.

I care more about energy or power than coulombs or amps. If you insist on buying based on amp-hours, someone will start rearranging the cells to make a 6V battery to drive the inverter, thus doubling his device's amp-hours, without increasing its energy content by a single Joule.

It's harder to increase the watt-hours by doing useless tricks like that.

15. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well not really, but...:D