ad: cq2k-1

It Ain't Dead!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7NTL

WA7NTL Ham Member QRZ Page

It was a huge mistake to get rid of the code requirement. I have seen a corresponding change in the quality of operators. It should be brought back at least for the Extra Class.

K5MPH, K7NDE, N7RD/SK2023 and 8 others like this.
  2. K7IN

K7IN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I learned Morse Code in high school, 55 years ago, as part of our electronic class. Our instructor was a former Coast Guard radio technician who also was a radio operator. Mr. Twogood made Morse Code fun and we learned the phonetic alphabet at the same time. We could choose either radio theory and Morse Code then get our Novice licenses or radio theory and basic radio TV troubleshooting. We had a ham radio club at our school and a modest CW station. When I joined the Marines in '68, during the height of Vietnam, I wanted communications as my specialty. I got that, finished top in my class, and used it twice during my entire enlistment. It has been my go-to mode as it is like a second language for me even though I have been off the air for 3 years and out of practice. We are moving to a new home with no restrictions at all and once my station is set up again, I will be back on the air. I find CW quite relaxing and putt along usually with my straight key at 12-13 WPM although I can copy much faster.

Just my opinion and my preferences. I have operated several digital modes and am fascinated that some of them even work when one can't hear the signal. I am looking forward to enjoying the airwaves once again. - Paul

GM4JPZ, VE7DXW, WB4NQF and 1 other person like this.
  3. K7QB

K7QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just look at the explosion in custom made keys and the price they are going for.
    73, K7QB, SKCC #5733T

VE7DXW likes this.
  4. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CQWW took a survey a few years ago and CW was chosen as their favorite mode of communication across the world.
    CW was also #1 through various age groups surveyed. survey6-mode(2).png survey8-mode_age.png

YO6EX and WN1MB like this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to the world of instant gratification. Bigger, better, faster, more, NOW!

Learning and using Morse is definitely a "crawl, walk, then run" process which requires humility, patience, and practice.

Not to reopen a familiar old can of worms, but IMO there was a tremendous value to the old 50 kHz Novice class segments on 80, 40, and 15 meters. These were on-the-air classrooms where we'd get on the air, practice, learn to converse, progress, and help others along. There were newcomers barely doing 5 wpm, others cranking away between 15 and 20 wpm, and the majority twixt the two.

73, Jeff SKCC 11128C

K5MPH, K7NDE, WJ1MK and 14 others like this.
  6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

What’s the “T” behind your number? Thousand? Tremendous?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    VE7DXW likes this.
  7. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Trying to get back into A1A after a long absence. The ARRL code practice is the best transition "back." The progression in speed through their sessions has been the key.

What I've found difficult is, calling CQ at say 13 WPM, and finding someone who doesn't come back to me at 99 wpm! Something I'd learned when I first began amateur radio in 1985 was to match the CQ-ers speed if at all possible. THE BEST genuine QSO's when I could "QRQ" because my sending ability is pretty darn slick.

So folks, on the other hand, if an OM or YL sends a "QRS"...remember the old days and please do so!

73!

AA4MB, VE7DXW and PY2NEA like this.
  8. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

FB indeed!

VE7DXW likes this.
  9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.skccgroup.com/operating_awards/tribune/

To give some definition and scale of accomplishment, right now SKCC membership is at 22,535.

Centurions number around 2,060.

The most recent Tribune awarded was number 1,670.

Senators are even more rare with the most recently awarded being number 462.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    VE7DXW likes this.
  10. K7QB

K7QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, to be correct it is 5733T-8 closing in on the "S" about a 100 to go. 73, Bob k7qb

VE7DXW likes this.
  11. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Tribunus! I knew SKCC reminded me of something familiar, latin classes! SPQR, Centurion, prosigns, abreviations... X is 10, V is 5, C is 100 et caetera

VE7DXW likes this.
  12. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Got it thanks.

VE7DXW likes this.
  13. VA3JK

VA3JK Ham Member QRZ Page

Morse Code is my favourote mode, because instead of just pushing the PTT or setting up a program on the PC and letting the PC do all the work, you exercise your mind. In this day of instant gratification, morse code just isn't an instant "plug and play" mode, it takes time and practice to master it.
    I was self taught, and listened to W1AW code tapes on cassette, W1AW transmissions, code practice at our local club, and in no time I was up to 15 WPM. Since I have been using it
    nearly 40 years, I can copy in my head plain text at 35 to 40 wpm.( I am learning to type this fast to keep up the keyboard with what is being sent. ) The thing that really bothers me, is that so many contesters, can copy callsigns at very high speed, yet when you have a plain
    text conversation, they cannot copy it at all That is not proficiency! I have taught it to some people who are very accomplished professionally, and yet, they could not get it. The young brain is pehaps more adept at learning new things, than an older one. Perhaps having a musical
    ear surely helps. Its a very interesting form of communication because you are using your brain to encode( a key or paddle) morse and decode it. I do enjoy CW contests very much but also enjoy a ragchew
    at 35-40 WPM! Practice, practice, practice and more practice, will get you going at high speeds. To me, 20 WPM is crawling speed. If someone does ask me to QRS, I do so as a courtesy. I am amazed at what the East Europeans can do, just look at their results at any wold morse code championships. The art of morse code goes back to the very beginning of the advent of radio and yes, it is still in use today! It is a great exercise to keep you rmind sharp.

K7NDE, F8WBD, VE7DXW and 3 others like this.
  14. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

The morse the merrier.

John K7FD

K7NDE, AA4MB, GM4JPZ and 7 others like this.
  15. KG8ZQ

KG8ZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it's a shame that some operators will not slow down. But, don't let that discourage you. If you want to meet some very congenial people who love CW, visit 40 Meters between 7.050 and 7.060 (sometimes higher around 7.10). There, you will find many SKCC and FISTS members who will gladly have a QSO at any speed. We just enjoy having a CW rag chew or a short exchange, whichever you want. Many of us are devoted to using straight keys and other manual devices at very reasonable speeds. The other hf bands have similar segments where we meet, but I suggest 40 Meters during these poor band conditions because it's usually busy. I'm SKCC member 17248T and FISTS Life Member 3053. If you hear me, give me a call at any speed and I will gladly reply in kind.

WN0N, KU4GW/SK2023, VE7DXW and 3 others like this.