ad: elecraft

It Ain't Dead!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG5WY

KG5WY Ham Member QRZ Page

"Ain't" [dead] is a poor form of grammar. In fact, you might say your grammar is a very poor mode of communication.
    You might revise your English grammar to say; "Morse code is still being used extensively by many amateurs".

2E0TWD and VE3EPA like this.
  2. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8/FT4 Robot, no doubt about it...However, JS8CALL, same specifications, just has the ability to have a QSO, supporting 20wpm...(About)...

FT8 has been around for a while now, however, you make a good point, new shinny object, folks flock to it, however, knowing the advancements of digital, will only continue to grow in popularity (Meaning the ability to continue to decode signals at a lower level..

NN2X /Tom

N8ZI likes this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Bellyaching to mean unstructured and ineffectual complaining to an audience not empowered to change the status quo? Well, I'd start with lobbying the FCC and Congress, including an analysis of how the proposed changes will not only improve the service, but benefit the nation as a whole by improving some aspect of STEM participation and our competitiveness on the world stage. One could also analyze how current enforcement efforts would be lessened as a result of the improved quality of participation. Reduced costs always get attention.

I didn't use that word, nor did I imply it. :)

Chris

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just curious here - do you critique and correct the enunciation of common English words drawled by your Fort Worth neighbors? ;)

5. VE3EPA

VE3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not dead, but it isn't feeling well. I wonder how many amateurs are still tapping it out, and not using a keyboard and a screen to read it. Is it a case of, "Only real hams use a paddle or straight keyer." Are the digital crowd wannabees? :D

K8PG and PY2NEA like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't be so sure about that, friend. SKCC membership is up to 22,544 strong as of June 7, 2020.

I'm still tapping it out here with either the hand pump or paddles on the Brown Brothers CTL-B, or Vibroplex Original Standard bug. Only used the keyboard for a very few contests back in the 90s using macro buttons in contest logging software...and by "very few contests" I'm guessing less than a dozen contests TOTAL. Never, ever used electronic code readers. Never had the need. Never had the desire.

Oh stop it, for goodness sake!

I wouldn't call them "wannabees". Voluntary compliance to the QRZ Forums Code of Conduct prevents me from saying what I call them ... at least here.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    AA4MB and N8ZI like this.
  7. VE3EPA

VE3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you have a problem. :p

Where were we? Morse is still very popular. Calculators, on the other hand, will never be popular. Digital cameras cannot replace SLRs. Your cheque is in the mail...

8. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad you find joy in CW.. I could be considered a "no-code" extra since I didn't need to pass any test to upgrade, but CW is about the only mode I ever use. I did need to pass a 5 word-per-minute back in the 80's when I was first licensed as a Novice, but that ticket expired many years ago. When I got back into the hobby in 2012, I was happy to find that CW was very active indeed and I have made many thousands of qso's since then. Have Fun!

9. W7MBR

W7MBR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One last comment. CW is alive because of it's own merits. The ARRL and FCC did nothing
    to keep it a viable part of Amateur Radio. They had it removed as a requirement for a FCC license
    forgetting that it is no more outdated than Radio itself.

K0PV/SK2023 likes this.
  10. KV0X

KV0X Ham Member QRZ Page

rust never sleeps

11. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

These stats are from PSKReporter....Here is the URL https://pskreporter.info/cgi-bin/pskstats.pl Scroll down some you will see the stats...

About which is better at decoding? (Which can detect lower level) CW or FT8 / JS8CALL?

FT8 and JS8CALL wins that hands down..Many noted that the human ear can detect really low, which is very true, however, for FT8 /JS8CALL you will never hear it, although the decoder can decode...

Note: FT8 yes is robotic, however, NOT JS8CALL, why?, Because you can have a QSO at 20WPM ( About)...at -24dB below the noise floor..at 50hz of Bandwidth.

This is from VOACAP, this is from Dallas to Morocco, More red color less power required

Below is for FT8 Note the red color

[​IMG]

This is CW

[​IMG]

Although I am a big fan of CW, but FT8 (Or JS8CALL) requires far less power to close the link.

And yes, JS8CALL, you can have a QSO, having FT8 Specifications)

At this hour and Date: June 6, 2020: UTC 4:10PM...CW third place...
    [​IMG]

Having said all that...I love CW!

NN2X, Tom

K8PG likes this.
  12. W5VQ

W5VQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In days of old when ops were bold, and sideband not invented

Words were passed by pounding brass

And all were quite contented

-unknown

CW is my favorite mode. I'm not very good at it, but it sure is fun.

K0PV/SK2023, NF6E, K8PG and 1 other person like this.
  13. N1ART

N1ART Guest

You can drive a corvette, but isn't it fun to drive the model t around once and awhile?
    Voice vs morse code analogy.

KR3DX and WN1MB like this.
  14. K7RLN

K7RLN Ham Member QRZ Page

For those of us that aren't quite up to your level, we certainly appreciate it.

K7GYB likes this.
  15. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a saying: "It more fun to drive a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow".