ad: Schulman-1

Legal obstacle removed to open Titanic, retrieve Marconi radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, May 20, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W4TUC

W4TUC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is our chance, our only chance to recover and save this valuable piece of history. How great it would look in a reproduction of the Radio Room.

KM1H likes this.
  2. G7NFP

G7NFP Ham Member QRZ Page

The salvage company had to hand back that $300+ million in coins for 2 reasons.
    They had no permission to salvage from that ship, nor did they declare where the coins came from.
    The coins were from the 19th century & had historical value to the country of origin.

In addition to that, l suspect that the ship they salvaged was in UK or EU territorial waters.
    Titanic is in international waters. The diamonds don't have historical value.

They can cut into the ship all they want. However it's unlikely they will find that pursers bag.
    I read a document that stated that the pursers bag containing those diamonds was lost overboard as the ship lurched when it was being transferred to a lifeboat (whilst the band played believe it if you want).
    Did the purser enter a lifeboat?
    Did someone check his pockets? And his socks. Hell, he may even have swallowed a couple for later collection.
    If he survived. Then it may be an idea to check out his lifestyle after the sinking before spending millions on treasure hunting.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  3. G7NFP

G7NFP Ham Member QRZ Page

Done some more reading. Chief Purser's body was recovered. Pockets contents was listed as personal effects & ship's keys. No mention of diamonds.
    Was he buried in Canada? (With his socks on?).
    Did any of the Mackay Bennet's crew find sudden wealth after the recovery?
    He was seen during the sinking to be having a serious conversation with Mr Dodds (2nd steward), who's body (if recovered) was never identified.
    We would all love to know the truth. But we never will.

I think they should recover that Marconi gear. Nobody died in the radio room so is it a grave?

4. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like all shipwrecks and other junk that we have polluted the ocean floor with, if they were to exist long enough (only millions of years) they would be scrapped off the bottom and into the nearest ocean trench, as in the Puerto Rico. It would kind of like scraping frost off of your car windshield.:eek::rolleyes:

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    W1LWT likes this.
  5. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

right on about time with the technoligy's we have to retrieve a important part of history its time now to grab it and place it on display for all to see......this is a great thing happening. from a old sunken ship of metal bring it up and and let it travel the world to see on display..........

KM1H likes this.
  6. W1LWT

ONE EASY TO UNDERSTAND WORD..........HISTORY ...........................

KM1H likes this.
  7. W1LWT

Its not grave robbing..its like the pyrimids .So much history we have learnt from time of when they lived and so much has came out of it for the good....this little cw key can be the same thing so many of humans can see it when it goes on display .so much meaning so much to learn from a item of brass....that from the time it is placed on display and centurys from now that people can remember more..its from the dead a word and teaching s and shareing from todays recovery for ever place for so so many to see.

KM1H likes this.
  8. N3PZZ

N3PZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My condolences to you as well.
    73 dave

9. N3PZZ

N3PZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it's really called looting. Would you want someone robbing your relatives gravesite?
    How about taking pictures instead and leave the artifacts where they are?
    It really makes no sense but then again it is human nature to rob and steal.
    To take what doesn't belong to them.
    Pictures will last a thousand years or more just as well as an actual item.
    This is getting personal for me as I had a relative go down with that ship.
    And I will keep saying it, stop looting Titanic.
    Respectively...
    73 all

WA2LXB, KD0WGB and M3VPI like this.
  10. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can smell it now just talking about it. I was a USCG E-6 and shined many a buckle.:mad::D

K8PG likes this.
  11. M3VPI

M3VPI Ham Member QRZ Page

I quite agree, that's a grave site I think and there are enough clever people out there that could build a sufficiently accurate replica for display/demonstration purposes.

WA2LXB and KD0WGB like this.
  12. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that the money would be better spent building a replica, there are pictures to go by. All they will get from the ship are a few metal pieces in poor conditioin that are still there.

Bill - K5MIL

WA2LXB and KD0WGB like this.
  13. PD0Q

PD0Q Ham Member QRZ Page

14. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

15. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hollywood could construct A very good copy of what they see in the pictures and live visual by W0PV. He (W0PV) has said the roof could collapse at any minute.
    I for One would not want another body on the wreck. There are enough bodies there now .
    So in my humble opinion , visit , photograph and recover artifacts from the debris field. Leave the tomb alone.
    Just My Opinion.....

WA2LXB likes this.