ad: ProAudio-1

Hamvention Corona Virus Notice:

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, Mar 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

^^^^^^^^ This

2. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, agreed. But we have a Flu Shot that prevents flu...and people still get the flu.
    I guess they should make a vaccine for Corona also...

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

For the most part, people who get the flu shot have a 50% to 60% chance of not getting the flu (Mayo Clinic stats). That's better than zero percent.

I'm sure that a Corona vaccine is very much in the works and has been. When it will be available and how much can be delivered is another story

Dave
    W7UUU

N0TZU and WD4ELG like this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I will pass on the shot.

Natural remedies can work.

5. AB4IC

AB4IC Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope the FCC will once again allow VE's to administer Ham tests via live videolink. AARL, are you listening?

Andy KO4APB

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the only possible risk from a package or mail is what might be on the hands of (or coughed by) the local delivery person and obviously that would only be on the outside of the item. One could always spray lightly with Lysol or equivalent and let dry before handling. And wash your hands, obviously.

7. K0NYX

K0NYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Assume the NCAA tourney is cancelled.

9. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The virus has been identified, but the tracking of it's transmission patterns and rates are still developing. Without being tested, there is no way to know who is infected yet asymptomatic. Elderly and people with serious chronic medical conditions are most at-risk for mortality from the effects of the resulting disease. It appears likely that at some point that widespread transmission of the virus that causes COVID-19 in the United States will occur. Since testing is limited at this point and there is no vaccine available yet, it's a situation worthy of great attention.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

10. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is not just one type of Flu. The vaccine is formulated based on the statistical information available of what is most likely to be the predominant strain.

11. N0TZU

15 cases now today in CO (from zero six days ago). Governor declared an emergency an hour ago, and directed state agencies to find ways to pay their hourly workers for sick days. The Div of Insurance will order insurers to waive all fees for testing, and drive-through testing to begin starting in Denver (with doctor’s order).

Good time to be on the radio rather than running around town...

12. K0NYX

K0NYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ohio governor has declared a state of emergency for Ohio and is recommending removing spectators from all indoor sporting events and Ohio State University is stopping in person classes on campus.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have received several emails regarding the 'fractal network' spread of corona.

I have been communicating with several physician/academics over the last two weeks, including at least one who made the --decision-- to vacate a major campus. We all agree with the basis of the models, if not the exact time scales of the peak and the decline gradient after that.

President Trump did exactly the right thing in restricting air travel. This will STOP outside 'tendrils' and allow us to kill off the US based tendrils. IF NOT, the models show a merged second peak which extends the outbreak well into June and July.

I will not get caught up in the heated political climate that arises on the modeling. This will be the only discussion I will publicly make. Suffice to say, those who are not 'fractalists', but academic physicians, should be the 'experts' to listen to (and they listen to others), and President Trump is doing just that.

Right now, with sufficient disclaimers and caveats , the rapid ID and quarantine shows the tendrils peaking over the next 10 days and then exponetially declining by early April. Peak 'confirmation' numbers happen in early April, when the epidemic is already declining. IF this model applies--big caveat and disclaimer-- there is NO REASON to call of Hamvention in mid=MAY.

Or anything else, for that matter, after mid-May.

By mid-late June, there will be vaccine inoculations available for the elderly and those at risk. At that time, the probability of swamping the health care system declines dramatically and any additional transmission will have a low 'health care swamp' factor.

IT IS THE 'HEALTH CARE SWAMP factor' that drives our fear of Corona. Period. If the elderly get vaccines, then the ER's stay empty of Corona.

Corona becomes at the level of 'sniffle annoyance' by late Summer, if the vaccines get the coverage needed.

Watch to see how this plays out and the accuracy herein.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    NZ5F likes this.
  14. N0TZU

I hope you are correct.

But I do wonder, why do you think a vaccine will be available for distribution in June, when the best case time from the CDC and many others with long experience is a year to a year and a half?

15. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Vitamin C will help disrupt virus