ad: wmr-1

Hamvention Corona Virus Notice:

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, Mar 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You may discount all of the below if you wish. I don't care. Pass it of as idle speculation if that makes (others) more comfortable.

The vaccine is being made as we speak. If you set a date, then you will not meet the expectations of an unruly crowd of 300 million.

The vaccine was created in Waltham MA, 5+ weeks ago and is , apparently, being produced in limited quantities for testing, here in the 'Boston cluster'. The effectiveness is unknown. I presume we may hear something about it in a few weeks. Right now we will hear nothing. The CDC will always veer on the conservative side rather than tout a vaccine with unknown efficacy.

Better to work at killing the tendrils with quarantine. At least for the next few weeks.

Likely vials will be available by June for distribution to elderly and 'preexisting conditions' in 'cluster areas' only.

The objective is singular : keep the health care system working by not swamping it. IF the health care system breaks down then you get an Iran situation, with corpses piled up in the morgues and few willing to do the burial.

So the US is really an archipelago of clusters that you work hard to isolate, and buy enough time to implement the vaccine within said clusters. Let's hope it stays this way in the next 2-3 weeks.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    N2EY and N0TZU like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

NZ5F and N0TZU like this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe you are referring to the Moderna vaccine which is starting human trials and skipping the animal trial step. There are still many other trials which are normally done. In order to use it publicly at scale many regulatory steps and further trials would need to be waived. I'm not saying it couldn't happen.

The last time a vaccine like this skipped steps was for the "swine flu" in 1976; elevated cases of Guillian Barre syndrome were a result, though still rare, and they can happen spontaneously as well.

BTW, the government had to fully indemnify the vaccine producers to get them to agree to produce the vaccine, and paid for those damages. The government will have to do the same thing again.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    W1YW likes this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have until May 10th to cancel my hotel room,

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep.

The discussion I heard went beyond this media piece...

N0TZU likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Until the Governor of Ohio lifts public gatherings, the issue is up in the air.

K0UO likes this.
  7. K0UO

Corona @ Hamvention will be an Corona 807 for me.

20200312_120000.png

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I will join you with my BEVERAGE antenna!

K0UO likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

From a preprint I saw, just submitted New England Journal of Medicine--

"We found that viable virus 36 could be detected in aerosols up to 3 hours post aerosolization, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on 37 cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel."

N0TZU likes this.
  10. K0NYX

K0NYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

SO what?

Hamvention is weeks and weeks away. The order is more than likely to be rescinded in a few weeks.

12. KE8WO

KE8WO Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe this has been pointed out already ... but I suspect many travel plans .. especially supporting companies but also individuals will be needing to make travel decisions well in advance of the Hamvention date. I would guess the go/no go decsion on having the HV by early April. You hear the term 'in an abundance of precaution' used a lot to justify various cancellations. My prediction: it will be cancelled. My other prediction: ham gear to be available at very good prices this year!

13. K0UO

I'm going to start calling this the Chinese flu.
    The name should really apply particularly with what the Chinese are doing now.

14. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What are they doing now ?

Setting on the pot waiting for toilet paper to be made ?

K0UO likes this.