ad: Radclub22-1

HR2.0 - DMR 201 – Understanding DMR Networks

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Mar 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DMR 201 – Understanding DMR Networks – this is a forum presentation I have given at Hamcom and also at a couple of local clubs. In this presentation we will talk about the 3-4 different DMR Networks, how each of them connect to one another, and answer any questions from the audience in the Super Chat.

This is a longer-than-normal video due to it being a Livestream with Q&A time, plus just interacting with the public. Use the Short links in the YouTube description to skip around in the video and watch just the parts that might interest you.

2. N4VKF

N4VKF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting these on here. Might motivate me to spend more time lurking on QRZ.

KC5HWB likes this.
  3. KC5HWB

Thanks for commenting.

4. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DMR makes a great two channel repeater as a stand alone. But the rest is IMHO just Skype without the video. The miracle of radio is your box and antenna and the other guy's box and antenna with ether in between. The rest is just VOIP in one form or another. The same goes for D-Star, Fusion, NxDn,P25, etc. No offense intended or criticism of the presentation. Now, if they were RF networked, it would be another story. Nationwide Ham MESH maybe?

K0TWA, KG5WRN, WN1MB and 3 others like this.
  5. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

DMR would be much better if people would stop turning up their mic gain! And get more power! You think you're hitting the repeater with your HT from the basement, but you're not!

W5AMG likes this.
  6. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Two hours and fifteen minutes? REALLY? Ya gotta be kiddin'.................I wouldn't spend fifteen minutes watching this stuff.

AA1PR and K1OIK like this.
  7. KK4HPY

KK4HPY Ham Member QRZ Page

This stuff is useful as an evolutionary step towards a ham data network. Check out the AREDN project if you are interested. https://www.arednmesh.org/

W4JHU and KR3DX like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

...the first 7 minutes and 15 seconds of which was all meaningless fluff before the actual live streaming starts, just shy of 10 minutes before DMR was even mentioned, and finally the (2 year old!) DMR presentation video display at the fifteen minute mark. Actual general information started at 19 minutes.

It's oft said that life is too short for QRP. I contend that life is too short for this type of broadcast. Video stopped at 21:31 - and it won't be revisited. It's well past time to move onto something more productive.

Guess I'm a glutton for punishment, but I wanted to give this one the benefit of the doubt.

N1DQQ and KR3DX like this.
  9. KC5HWB

Did you miss the part where I said "use the short links in the YouTube description to click around"? I assume so. No need to watch the parts you don't want to, since this was an interactive Livestream and not a normal video.

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I didn't miss the "short links" suggestion. I was interested in watching from word go without interruptions - not cherry pick excerpts for "the good parts."

However, we do agree on one thing: that it was "not a normal video."

AMBROSE, N1DQQ and KR3DX like this.
  11. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Those videos kill my dialup speed. And there is no jumping to the good stuff. The whole thing needs to down load. That sucks.

DMR makes users sound like a robot to me.

DMR = Digital Made Robot

KR3DX likes this.
  12. W1WWA

W1WWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Guess I'm a glutton for punishment, but I wanted to give this one the benefit of the doubt."

SAME here, another video of no interest DMR !! VOIP, no wonder the bands are dead....

N1DQQ, K1OIK, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  13. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

You made a very good point. Many people can't watch streaming video, and they would be extremely disappointed after downloading a video that is only 5 minutes long (not to mention one that is over 2 hours) only to find that it contained VERY little information. I can watch streaming video, but I've found that most (not all) such videos have very little substance and a lot of pointless, time consuming introduction, music, and chit-chat among the presenters of the video. I find the link in post #7, by KK4HPY, to be many times more informative than any video, and it can be read at leasure by anyone, regardless of the speed of their internet connection.

K1OIK and WN1MB like this.
  14. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Ham Member QRZ Page

DMR or DStar or Fusion can all sound good but the users need to have a signal, take the time to test and configure their audio and if using hotspots have a connection that doesn’t have dropouts. The networks are a mess from users missing one or all of these things. Drives me crazy, but it’s not the tech, it’s the people.

15. KC5HWB

The bands AREN'T dead. I activated 2 POTA spots yesterday...10-12 contacts per Park. I wonder how I can do this if the bands are dead?

P.S. - Sunspot cycles aren't controlled by DMR....