ad: cq2k-1

Using The International Phonetic Alphabet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX4W, Mar 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB2PNN

KB2PNN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, there is the ITU to which the US is a signatory, and the test you took to get your license for starters... ;-)

(T2C03) Standard Phonetic Alphabet

T2C03 from the Technician License Course Section 2.3, Call Signs:
    What should be done to insure that voice message traffic containing proper names and unusual words are copied correctly by the receiving station?

A. The entire message should be repeated at least four times
    B. Such messages must be limited to no more than 10 words
    C. Such words and terms should be spelled out using a standard phonetic alphabet
    D. All of these choices are correct

https://hamradioschool.com/t2c03-standard-phonetic-alphabet/

WQ4G and W8LV like this.
  2. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Language in ATC is strictly standardized.

ATC will be trained to expect only Juliett. If he says Japan, ATC will know for certain that it was not an attempt at any phonetic letter, but perhaps a geographic location.

WQ4G, K8XG, AI7PM and 2 others like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

From my previous post.
    You can use the international phonetic alphabet....or any other phonetic alphabet you like. (standard or otherwise)
    97.119 - Station identification. (in part says)
    • (2) By a phone emission in the English language. Use of a phonetic alphabet as an aid for correct station identification is encouraged.
    There is no phonetic alphabet specified or required.
    Have no idea who "ham school" might be but they have nothing to do with regulating ham radio.

4. W6ERM

W6ERM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for this post, excellent points. "Hispter phonetics" have no place in ham radio. 73.

WU8Y, WQ4G, AI7PM and 2 others like this.
  5. K5TBA

K5TBA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the international phonetics but my experience has been that the T (TANGO) in my callsign is misunderstood as KILO at least 50% of the time. After trying TANGO 2-3 times and the contact not being able to understand I change to TOKYO and 9 times out of 10 they get it immediately...

N0TZU, WJ4U, N1OOQ and 5 others like this.
  6. GW0RQC

GW0RQC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And for those in the UK sitting the RSGB's examinations, it's worth remembering that the use of anything other than the NATO phonetic alphabet will cost marks.

GM4JPZ, WQ4G and W8LV like this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

W6ERM, WX4W and N0TZU like this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Did I say HF wasn’t used? No.In fact I posed a hypothetical question about phonetics using HF on such a route. (Yes I believe there are far more aviation comms taking place everyday over VHF/UHF channels compared to HF used on trans-oceanic routes. Yes I’ve listened to HF aero comms.)

In response to the hypothetical you say that non standard phonetics are never used on HF, and I believe you since you are obviously ATP rated and experienced on those routes.

As to the completely rigid application of same to ham radio - that’s a matter of opinion.

K3XR likes this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

It' certainly different. At 75 have a couple of problems looking like the "Hipster" in your link....no hair to gather up on top and don't think I could get my foot in those skinny leg pants. Yes, I am assuming the skinny leg pants they seem to go with the rest of the "look".

10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

11. KI7JQL

KI7JQL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't so much have a problem using phonetics but I don"t think that 3 syllable phonetics is helpful. Probably the only reason I would change my call sign.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  12. KB2PNN

KB2PNN Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't either, but the link on that page to the ITU (International Telecommunications Union) reference is correct and was handy. It is the internationally recognized standard, and no place in Ham operations does anyone say it is ever -required- yet it is an agreed upon international, standard to use when one uses phonetics by choice -or- in other radio international "sky wave" communications (and that's US why cops don't care) services where it is required in specific situations, like ATC regulations.
    local US
    "Part 97 definitions … (37) Radio Regulations. The latest ITU Radio Regulations to which the United States is a party." If you have US license, it applies.

If you want to discuss how it all works in detail my rate as an attorney is many Boefangs an hour.

WX4W likes this.
  13. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've always used standard phonetics on SSB whether it be in a rag chew, DX contact or in a contest. Most of the time that works very well. But sometimes I do have to substitute "Mexico" in place of "Mike" in order for the other station to get my call sign correctly.

But the question that I have is why is something so mundane as using standard phonetics bring such contention and so far 15 pages of it.

NA4RA, WQ4G and AK2M like this.
  14. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's all Zulu Time to me...
    ;-)

15. WW1I

WW1I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Non-standard phonetics are not used in aviation, because there can only be ONE standard. Same for the military. Same for maritime. I get it, that this is a hobby, and you are not required to use standard phonetics. That said, if everyone did, there would be less errors digging out those weak ones. Again, alpha doesn’t just start with “A”....when you say alpha, a guy like me hears “A”. Same as a good Morse operator. They hear letters with no translation. Non-standard phonetics require the operator on the other end to think, not just hear the letter.

Let’s be clear, you may use non standard phonetics or no phonetics. When I am making a quick ID, I just say the letters.

WU8Y and N0TZU like this.