ad: Retevis-1

Icom IC-9700 - First Impression

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Jan 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VE6MB

VE6MB Ham Member QRZ Page

@VA3VF: Don't get me wrong.....I wasn't exactly right on my prediction either (I guessed too low)...... but the Canadian price is $2899.00...... so what do you think now?

2. VE6MB

VE6MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that the price is higher than most people were thinking (hoping).....myself included. But luck will not be needed to sell the radio...... this radio will indeed sell. Clearly everyone has their acceptable price point (whatever it may be)...... but there is a lot of balking about how this "VHF only" radio: (1) shouldn't be so expensive, (2) should be comparible to IC-7300 in price, etc.... (blah, blah, blah).

Most of the noise seems to come from people who are not the "target audience" for a radio of this type. I hope people aren't seriously thinking of this as a DSTAR base radio, or something to ragchew on the repeaters and FM simplex (although it could be used for this purpose). Obviously there are other (cost effective) choices out there for this type of activity. This radio fits nicely for those of us who are weak signal VHF/UHF enthusiasts.

I agree if you have equipment which is working well (ie. FT-736R) then it probably makes no sense to be "money-out" on a IC-9700..... however there is a lot of aged all-mode VHF/UHF equipment out there which is getting older and this radio is one of the first satellite-ready all-mode VHF/UHF radios to be available in quite some time. Have you noticed the amount of used all-mode gear that has suddenly become available on the used radio listings, lately? There are a number of people who are, no doubt, looking for an upgrade before that old equipment starts failing......

Additionally, I could argue (as a person who does not use HF very much), that it'll be a cold day in hell before I spend $3000, $5000, $7000, $9000, or more on an HF radio..... and we all know that there are options to spend this amount of money on an HF transceiver.....what are they doing?....using solid gold wiring in there...?

Valentino, VE6MB

WD4IGX likes this.
  3. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought it would be around $400 less.

Now comes 'phase 2'.:cool:

Resist the urge to buy now. Wait 2 years to pay less, and receive a radio that is bug free.:D

4. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Valentino, good point. I should have mentioned that the radio will be great for those that never upgraded, want SDR and also want to dip into 1296 without having to add modules (like the 736R or even the 9100). For some including me, just not worth cost since I already have three radios capable of VHF/UHF. If the price comes down which it will after the initial release, I may take a look based on reviews and fixing of the bugs that will most likely be identified. I may even buy another 9100, since the price will probably drop to 1500 or even be discontinued. I love my 9100, could use another one. If Icom fixes the ALC overshoot issue, I will also consider the 9700 so I can run it full throttle with my 1K Beko on 2M for that weak signal work.

5. W2YM

W2YM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Way over priced for 3 bands. To build a SDR radio is real cheap. Better of spending money on a FT-991a, TS-2000 or a used IC-9100. Mark W2YM 73's.

6. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

More people stepping back from the new radio. More people comparing it to a non SDR.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

7. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!

Looks like one stateside store is breaking from having the IC-9700 priced around US$ 2099... R&L is now offering it at $1799.95, and free shipping. Add in no sales tax for those outside of Ohio, and that lower price looks more like what I hoped to see initially.

IC7000_at_1799.jpg

73!

VA6WWW and KA2CZU like this.
  8. YD4JSW

YD4JSW Ham Member QRZ Page

hellooooooo

9. KO1C

KO1C Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I emailed R&L and they told me if you bought it now, you'd pay the $1799.95. Radios are expected to ship in May. If you wait until then, you'll most likely pay more ...

10. 9A0S

9A0S XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was thinking if 7300 is 1180€ adn this one is higher bands and two vfos and such, it could do 1500-1700. But it's priced 2000€ in Europe.
    But... 7300 is my first desktop radio and I think it's pretty good from what little I know. Icom is playing at this "perfect companion for you 7300", same size, almost the same buttons and although it's pretty pricey for something I absolutely don't need, if I want to buy vhf/uhf rig, it is really tough to buy something else now.

11. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

So you are likening passband to a peep hole.

How much of it can you pay attention to at once? Funny, in my day we tried to NARROW our passband to reduce interference. ;)

It's not the only way to get a pan display but it does allow a much wider one.

12. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

It is almost guaranteed to outperform, and not just slightly, any of those radios on 2m/440/1296.

They will, though, absolutely kick the 9700s butt on HF. ;)

13. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are not a SDR person you will likely not ever be a SDR person. My daily driver display is on a 23 inch monitor (diagonal) and the waterfall is 15 inches wide. I can click on a signal and I'm there no turning the knob.
    My early years as a ham was in the area where your Heathkit problems could be answered on the club's repeater with the Heathkit engineer that designed the circuit you had a problem with.
    The 9700 won't do HF but the 7300 will and it does kick butt. When one comes up for sale used it goes quickly.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

14. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Both radio are capable of porting to a monitor. Check around for videos on it.

15. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

If I missed a post within revealing the MSRP in the US for the IC-9700, then OOPS!
    You can get in line at GigaParts where they have a price of $2,099.99 USD (free shipping, and no tax).
    I got mine for $1,999.99 because I pre-ordered and put down $49 (+ $250 the other week).
    Now it's just a matter of them shipping it to me when it hits stateside (Roughly the first week in May).