ad: MyersEng-1

Icom IC-9700 - First Impression

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Jan 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

And that right there is one reason many of us prefer Kenwood.

But in this case, I agree. Kenwood has nothing and even nothing announced with similar capabilities to this rig, regardless of design.

2. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

I would liken it to looking through a peep hole or having a picture window that you can adjust the size of the window for your purpose. If the peep hole suits your purpose more power to you. I want my picture window to be huge.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

That...makes absolutely zero sense. What the heck does that mean?

K3RW and KA2CZU like this.
  4. WB8LBZ/SK2023

Your traditional analog radio is like looking out of a peep hole in you door. You see/hear 2400 to 3000 hertz of spectrum. The SDR can see several kilohertz on both sides as well as see/hear 2400 to 3000 hertz of spectrum. The best visual I've seen is at http://www.radioforeveryone.com/2018/05/about-software-defined-radio-and-rtl-sdr.html . I can see a signal several kilohertz to one side even though I'm not tuned to receive that station. Its good for finding band activity.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

5. VE6MB

VE6MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You would have to obtain three transverters to get the 2m, 70cm, 23cm functionality.
    You would also likely need amplifiers to get the 2m (100W), 70cm (75W), 23cm (10W) power output levels.
    You would not be full-duplex satellite capable (planned), nor does it have dual-receive capability.
    Does not have multiple (separate) antenna connectors.
    Does not have frequency reference input.
    Does not have the "LAN" jack on the back (for possibly native remote capability via etheret?)
    ....others?

The IC-9700 appears to be a purpose-built machine for the serious weak-signal VHF/UHF operator.....additionally there have been very few modern offerings on the market to this type of operator (which is surprising because you would think manufacturers might have tried to time the release of additional all-mode VHF/UHF equipment for the solar minima). Therefore, trying to use an IC-7300 + transverter(s), is in my opinion, a non-starter.

Of course, the big question is: How much do they want for this thing?

Tino, VE6MB

WD4IGX and WB8LBZ/SK2023 like this.
  6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

One can be sure that it's not going to be more than the announced UK price converted to US$. That would be the worst case scenario. It'll be substantially cheaper in North America.

7. VE6MB

Pure speculation......but let's take a crack at guessing the price point using the IC-7300 as a guide. I'm no expert....so if any of my facts below are wrong...someone please feel free to step in.....

In December, 2015 a statement was made about the "then anticipated" IC-7300 by Icom Japan that the "recommended price was $1134.00USD + tax". When the unit actually went on sale, some places (such as Universal Radio) had the price at ~$1500USD. Of course today, the radio commands a price of approximately $1100USD (before any rebate).....so it has ultimately settled down to the "recommended" price point.

I believe the IC-9700 has more going for it.....and thus it's going to be more expensive. If I had to guess....I would say that you're looking at $1800USD / $2500CAD; at least initially. This seems to work if one takes the UK price of ~$1800GBP and deducts the 20% VAT = ~$1500GBP = ~$1940USD = ~$2560CAD. Does this meet your definition of "substantially cheaper in North America" ?

There have been no statements thus far indicating what the recommended price should be. Additionally, there is still no indication of a FCC or ISED/Industry Canada certification, yet.

KK8MM likes this.
  8. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Continuing with the speculation...no, it does not meet 'my' defintion. I think it'll be less than that. But by substantially less, I don't mean $1K less than the converted UK price.

I remember the discussions involving the IC-7300. Icom itself seemed late in deciding the price. It was their first SDR transceiver. I think most of the cost is in software rather than hardware. They have more experience now.

The beauty of SDRs is that once the software costs are recovered, they have more room to lower prices than with non-SDR radios.

We'll see. Speculate on.;)

9. VE6MB

I very much prefer your optimism to my pessimism...... I'd be happy to be proved wrong by a wide margin...... ;)

10. VA6WWW

VA6WWW Ham Member QRZ Page

11. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!

HRO and GigaParts have both posted their pricing for the radio ($2099.95). HRO's web page still mentions shipping in the second quarter.

73!

12. WB8LBZ/SK2023

Coming to a shack near ME .... soon...

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

W4NNF likes this.
  13. WB8LBZ/SK2023

DX Engineering has a prospective delivery date of 05/29/2019. For only $2098.99. DVI output - 23 inch monitor.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

14. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Mark my words, the initial price will be over $2k USD.

15. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Price has been release $2100... Good luck spending $2100 for this radio. This is great for me- I suspect the 9100 will drop from $1899 now, wouldn't be surprised to see it
    discontinued.

Think about it $2100 for three bands- limited market in US for this. I will gladly keep my 736R and 9100 for all my VHF/UHF work.
    The radio is listed on Giga Parts, and DX Eng saw them today