ad: Radclub22-1

A Ham's Night Before Christmas (the Christmas Classic)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Dec 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NT5A

NT5A Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Chip,

Well, I cannot seriously disagree with what you said. But you should respect the artist - it's his vision and his creation.
    So, how about you prepare something similar with all of the new things and attitudes included. I think I will enjoy it as well.

73 de NT5A - Bob

2. KB3H

KB3H Ham Member QRZ Page

Gary,
    Thanks for sharing one of your special gifts - communication- the very best to you and yours OM
    73 John KB3H

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

A terrific idea Bob!

I would LOVE to collaborate with you on that! Let me know how you want to proceed.

Best
    Chip W1YW

4. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

All one has to do is look around this increasingly screwed up world to see there's still a place for reminiscence and nostalgia, if it wasn't allowed (as one fellow here wishes were true), many would fall into depression and despair. Memories of the good old days are not necessarily a bad thing and they don't necessarily have to be extinguished in order that "progress" can happen. Experience is what made many of us what we are today and without those "good old days" to teach us, we would be just going in circles today.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said. But be sure we are taught the full lesson(s).

Unfortunately there weren't any 'good ol' days' in ham radio if you weren't white and male, to speak of. That has slowly changed, and obviously for the better. These OLD cartoons reflect the implicit exclusion of women and anyone who isn't caucasian. The cheesecake photos... I mean, really. In defense of the same, its not as bad as the ads for those plastic QSL holders from 50 years ago, where the guy had his wife hold them up with a bikini for the ads...I bet almost ALL of you remember that!

If you can't welcome everyone, then we aren't living up to the mission of Part 97. But Part 97 is an entry to technology that we aren't leveraging like we used to, IMO.

I think we are doing an OK job of it in 2018, but the reflections of 60+ years ago are a filter that is best looked at historically, and if you want to look at it as 'good times', you have to go back to the bad things--some obvious ones already stated-- that would have included: consumption; polio; the Cold War; nuclear annihilation threats; and so on.

Been a long time since I had to 'duck and cover' under my desk....

We truly were the first 'social network', and of that we should be proud and carry on the cordial tradition that USED to dominate the prior eras, but is less prevalent today .

Its great to look back fondly, but cherish the present and its blessings.

73 and a most HNY!

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    W0PV likes this.
  6. KE5RFZ

KE5RFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonderful fun! Thanks!

7. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would like to dream of: an elecraft , a flex radio or some such technology as well. Maybe soon it could be a reality if I keep focused. Too much to do any way. Bill

W1YW likes this.
  8. VA3GET

VA3GET Ham Member QRZ Page

W1YW likes this.
  9. VA3GET

VA3GET Ham Member QRZ Page

ft9000mp

W1YW likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed the poem. Clever! How about one for the new year?

The cartoons and photos that went with it were a problem. I've made it clear why.

Chip W1YW

11. N2FBV

N2FBV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for that blast from the past. Enjoyed it much .
    73, ken N2FBV

12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The production work and voice over by Gary @KN4AQ is excellent.

Images of the bygone era when Amateur Radio created an even bigger social space in a domestic relationships allowing us OM's to be "Freer Men" as Kristen Haring aptly put it. Subtle tongue-in-cheek inside levity for camouflage. Even Santa's role was co-opted.

Cute mental escapism, soothing for some, much like romanticized nostalgia for the Antebellum South and Wild West; filtered and distorted, fake history. Not very helpful in establishing an objective notion of facts for future generations without explanation.

HNY, John, WØPV

(Image from PDF doc, link above, page 748)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

A TIME WARP for sure.... a distortion painting our fondness for filtering of the past.

The reality was somewhat different, albeit, well,..... puzzling.

Ah yes... let's go back OVER 40+ years ago, when men were men and women were women..and...

the hit movie was ???

Hmmmmm....

[​IMG]

KG5THG likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

FROM YOUR LINKED Book reference---

"...An estimated 95 to 99 percent were male….In proportions probably equal to the gender disparity, hams were white …"

Its certainly AOK for many of us to use this video as a fond memory of our early days, but just keep in mind where and what determined the images that are on there...

73 es HNY,
    Chip W1YW

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

John,

You need to give the folks more warning that many will be unhappy with the article referenced. Its not a pretty portrayal of ham radio in that bygone era.

There's a lot of positivity and technology that came out of hams in those bygone days. As long as we understand the overall era, I think those attributes are super to celebrate!

These attributes abound today, which is, in part , why --today-- is the golden era of ham radio.

Chip W1YW