ad: chuckmartin

A Ham's Night Before Christmas (the Christmas Classic)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Dec 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

In my first post I forgot to include a compliment for the guitar backing by Don @WA3AYR. IMO it fit perfectly, very enjoyable.

Chip,

Haring's work is strongly academically oriented and indeed may be a bit harsh for general consumption. Would not be surprised if some Zed "snowflakes" melted.

Of course, all us hams today owe gratitude to those before that helped pave the way of progress. As Billy Joel sang, I am just "Keeping The Faith",

Still I would not be here now
    If I never had the hunger
    And I'm not ashamed to say
    The wild boys were my friends

Cause I never felt the desire
    'Til their music set me on fire
    And then I was saved, yeah
    That's why I'm keeping the faith

You can get just so much
    From a good thing
    You can linger too long
    In your dreams
    Say goodbye to the
    Oldies but goodies
    Cause the good ole days weren't
    Always good
    And tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a difference between "I don't like them" which you've said and "they are a problem."

I accept that you don't like them. We all have our likes and dislikes. That doesn't make them "a problem" though, except to you.

KR3DX likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Haring's premise is that ham radio was a white male tribe executing the privilege of 'bromance' on a global scale, while being firmly footed at home. And that we used that as an excuse not to be more integrated into family activities, 'honey-do' lists, and and other affairs. We were thus dysfunctional in that view.

Just to correct for the times, my father did the same thing, but only became a ham long after the 'family' issue applied. He used OTHER activities to limit that family involvement. This was VERY common of the 50's and 60's and NOT limited to ham radio.

In fact, this 'dysfunction' was probably true of innumerable activities, like watching sports; secret societies; watching TV; bowling; hunting; repairing cars; and so on. For some it was bellying up to the bar.

Haring clearly articulates the sexism of ham radio in those times.

She did a good job of getting inside that ham world but sheds little light on why ham radio was unique in its sending families akimbo in her view.

W0PV likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its a problem because it celebrates social injustice, in some cases unintentionally, and particularly against women. Perhaps that clarifies it for you.

Haring is an example of articulating that. It would be fatuous to portray, or assume, that I am unique in this view. So why are you doing so?

Chip W1YW

5. WD4IGX

No it doesn't, not even remotely. You choose to read that into it.

KR3DX likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am just calibrating some of you to the reality of the great exercise of life. Your move on accepting or denying it.

Ask any woman what they think of the video, without the audio.

HNY!

Chip W1YW

7. WD4IGX

We know all about the injustices of the past. That doesn't mean that reflecting on radio of the past celebrates those in any way.

Sigh. Even ham radio isn't exempt from the "invasion of the SJWs."

K8AI, KG7VTO, W9FL and 1 other person like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no reason to be threatened-- or threatening-- by pointing out why such images are wrong. I could point out some of the Hallicrafters ads from yore as even worse. Not to mention the 'girlie' QSL cards from way back. Haring shows one, for example.

Such celebratory video(s) could have easily excluded the sexist images and been just as fun.

The heart of what made ham radio fun back then was a sense of personal accomplishment and involvement that tapped into a unique social network, working the world with state of the art toys (oftentimes built by you and you understood the workings)--all from your basement or attic or bedroom, for example.

Much of that still rings true in 2019.

You and the magic box!

Chip W1YW

9. WD4IGX

Who's threatened? Who's threatening? Another example of finding what you are already angry about and looking for even though it isn't actually there.

I'm sure you'll reply again so go ahead and have the last word. I won't mind. In fact I won't even see it. ;)

K8AI and KR3DX like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope I am not angry. I'm sittin here singing along with Chestnut Mare by the Byrds. Why would I be angry?

Its kind of a hobby of some of you to attribute emotional states on others that simply do not apply. That's not the 'hobby' I do in ham radio.

Hope to work you in 2019 and best DX.

Pray for 6M openings!

Chip W1YW

11. WA4LJJ

WA4LJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Boat anchors are the only rigs I can recognize today...

12. ZS1ADC

ZS1ADC Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing will spoil how much I enjoyed it, thank you very much Gary. :)

KG5THG and KG7VTO like this.
  13. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Wishing everyone a safe and happy New Year!

W1YW likes this.
  14. KD4FZY

KD4FZY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing Gary !!! enjoyed that very much. Happy holidays to you and yours and all the family here on QRZ !!!

15. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice one Gary. A 73 Christmas and New Year to you and yours for 2019. I do not care what someone mentioned about the 50s and 60s. I was at 9M2RH in the 60s and conditions were great then. I use to work all over the world with no problem. 5/9+20 sigs were common both from Europe and States side. VK. was on the door step and so was my pal Tom - HS3TM. They were 9+++. Memories Ha.