ad: AbAuRe-1

Handheld Radio Saves Adrift Indonesian In Pacific

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ6XA, Sep 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA1SU

KA1SU Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure but most ham HT's these days can tune to frequencies outside of ham bands. I've listened to Marine Ch 16
    with mine, but clearly can't transmit. Wonder how he could have called the tanker or they saw him and passed not being able
    to slow to make the turn. Glad he was rescued.

2. PP8DA

PP8DA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you KD4MAX, I did not understood `mashup´

3. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

CW with an VHF HT?

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard so many times that CW is the mode to use during emergencies that I figured he must have used that.

ND6M and KQ6XA like this.
  5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt that.

Morse Code is an available mode to use in an emergency when nothing else is available or works. Modern high intensity flashlights can travel a long way in the dark at sea, in the deserts of AZ where you live, and many other places. Ham radio is far from required, just some basic code knowledge.....do YOU have any ?? ....I think not.

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Have worked many different modes over the years mostly CW but where does it say CW is the preferred mode in an emergency ? You use what you have and what works for you .

7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Some reports imply that Aldi may have been alert enough to QSY his HT to different channels, and that perhaps instead of contacting the bridge directly, his shout for help was intercepted by a crew member (with another HT?) that happened to be on another channel that was being used for intra-ship or other comms.

"But just after the Arpeggio passed him on Aug. 31, Aldi was able to dial his radio to a frequency the vessel was using. According to video posted by a crew member, Aldi's distress message — "Help Help Help" — reached the cargo ship's chief mate, Emmanuel Soriano, who informed the captain, Narciso Santillan — who ordered the ship to change course to carry out a rescue operation."

Someone from the ORARI should contact him, publish all the rescue comms details, and encourage him to become a licensed radio amateur. He has shown the spirit. :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    KQ6XA likes this.
  8. K7JEM

Here's what I do know: That you have no idea of my knowledge or lack of knowledge of any subject, yet you choose to speculate anyway.

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

It is easy to speculate based upon your posting history on the subject. Some people make a lot of money by speculating and the stock market is just a part of it.

I see you have not denied anything.

10. K7JEM

What do you think you know? What do you want me to deny?

11. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeez, the Dog & Pony show on CNN is over

12. CONFUSO

CONFUSO QRZ Member

13. VE7PDX

VE7PDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if he's a Ham, and amazing that the battery was still good. Nothing short of a miracle!

14. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

15. NG3P

NG3P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some kind of cheap solar still might be good for that situation. There are expensive ones for storing on life rafts that I would not be without if I was working on the ocean. There's a couple of different brands of this thing. Reviews are decent, and you can supposedly use it on land. But on land you can make one in a few minutes with a piece of clear plastic sheet, a cup or pot, and a piece of tubing, so you don't need one of these on land.

https://www.amazon.com/Aquamate-Solar-Emergency-Purification-Inflatable/dp/B004TOAELS