ad: cq2k-1

Handheld Radio Saves Adrift Indonesian In Pacific

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ6XA, Sep 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I have CW knowledge, learned it back in 1968 for novice, never did get up to 13 wpm for general upgrade so just let it expire. It stated in the report that he had a VHF HT, probably for listening to the weather updates.

2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I DID NOT say that, must of been someone with a lot of misinformation:rolleyes:

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not say YOU said it in fact I did not quote your post at all there are other references in the thread.

4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Just making sure as posts on here have a bad habit of growing legs.

5. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably Baofeng!

6. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KI7GST

KI7GST Ham Member QRZ Page

I am surprised to see "he probably tuned to xxxxxx channel " actually printed on QRZ.

8. KQ6XA

Do you think he probably tuned to another frequency?

9. K4CUZ

K4CUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

He was using a baofeng probably, not licensed.

10. KQ6XA

It's just as possible he was using a VHF-only marine HT, which, in Southeast Asia are just about as cheap as dual band Baofengs.
    As for the "not licensed", isn't that kinda absurd in this case?

Perhaps we will know at some point what kind of HT he was using.

11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully Aldi and his family are safe from the recent natural disasters. First the earthquake-tsunami hit that region, and now a volcano erupts near his indicated starting point on North Sulawesi.

A couple of days ago I sent an email to ORARI with a link to this thread urging them to make contact with him to obtain and publish details on the make/model of HT and its use especially while adrift and during the rescue. Also to encourage and mentor the young man to become not just an honorary but a fully licensed amateur op. :cool:

No reply yet but I can imagine they may be a bit busy right now too.

HP1OIA and KQ6XA like this.
  12. KQ6XA

Aldi is from Wori district around the tip of the North Sulawesi area, near the Bunaken National Marine Park.

It is north of the town of Manado, also about 33 miles north of the summit of Mount Soputan, the erupting volcano on North Sulawesi island.
    The Palu earthquake/tsunami was hundreds of miles to the southwest.

Map of the area:
    Aldi_Novel_Adilang_Wori_Earthquake_Tsunami_Volcano_Drift_Route.jpg

At this time, the Mt. Soputan ash rain area is quite small, only affecting a few miles of radius near the volcano. See map:
    MtSoputan_ash_radius.jpg

Indonesia has many religionists, here's a generalized map:
    Map_Indonesian_religions.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    W0PV likes this.
  13. MW6ZAN

MW6ZAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Bet it would kick up a crap storm if it was a baofeng uv5r cheap china plastic special.

14. YB9BWN

YB9BWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I highly doubt he was using VHF marine HT. Those things are kind of rare in shops. On the other hands, plenty of Icom, Kenwood, and other (Chinese) major brand amateur rigs on sale with frequency dial as wide as a barn door (maybe the intent is to make conversion easy for use in licensed LMR land mobile radio -- not uncommon).

I think that if someone knows about subtlety like above, he would be a person well read and would be able to find better employment than manning a floating fish station.

I appreciate everyone's view in light of this news, however, I do feel that we still view it from within our own prejudices. Questions like:
    • Why is there a 'Rompong' floating fish station?
    • Is it a job with decent pay for him / his family?
    • Why doesn't he speak English at all?
    • Why would he risk his life doing work in a dangerous setting?
    • Is he licensed to operate the radio?
    • Would a man in a fishing industry like him understand the complexity of maritime communications network?
    • etc
    are probably not easy to answer/understand from the comfort of a first world setting.

KQ6XA likes this.