ad: Retevis-1

ICQPodcast - Loudspeakers for Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Sep 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. SE3X

SE3X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes that's true. But the problem is that most don't even bother to try to find something out on their self anymore. Reading tech questions on different forums about simple thing's as calculating the lenght of a dipole antenna makes me sad. About speakers .. instead of someone else, those pod cast guys, doing the job for you. I'm pretty sure that if you wanted to know about speakers you Googeled on that subject, did read different manufacturers spec sheets, learnt more on impedance perhaps. I can think of a number of follow up's on the subject speakers when reading yourself. Then you would walk away a lot better educated, than just listening to a podcast.

OT, I know, so I rest my case and leave no more comments.

K8JHR likes this.
  2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

People still listen to amateur radio? IMO, this hobby has LOTS more activity using your eyes.

And yet there could be 1000 things that you don't have a basic understanding of. And it wouldn't be nice to have someone tell you how lacking you are.

If someone is missing "the basics", it's our duty to help them understand.

Telling them they're stupid or "sad" is just going to give them a fine reason to find another hobby.

Every one of us was a "noob" at first...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    K0WJ, K4FMH and KT4RK like this.
  3. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the best mobile speakers I have seen and heard is the ICOM SP-35; while physically small, it sounds great with my ID-5100A.

4. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a big 'ol Sounds Sweet speaker and it, well... sounds sweet.

5. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a big difference between knowledge and opinion, yes?

K4FMH likes this.
  6. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

I can tell I was (am) set in my ways (aka "curmudgeon") ... !! For me it was always one of those 5" Radio Shack speakers in the black box for anything VHF or UHF FM. If I lucked into finding a Motorola mobile speaker that wasn't torn up, so much the better .... and a nice 5" x 8" oval in a nice cabinet (Heathkits were fine, either the SB or HS line) for the HF rig. I bought into the DSP speaker for a while (I think it was the GAP model I bought used) but ditched it once IF-DSP became a thing - not because the speaker was bad, but because I wound up trading it with someone when I bought an IF-DSP rig. Now I'm using a Drake MS-4 for the HF rig and (2) Radio Shack 21-549s for the dual-banders. I guess I have a tin-ear. But I still use Bose 901s for my stereo so I must be able to hear *something*, right? I can sure tell the difference if I substitute my Radio Shack floor speakers for THOSE!! But I gotta say even with my tin-ham-ear, I really enjoyed the podcast!! I never thought about a lot of that stuff. At my age I am still surprised by all the new ham stuff I just don't know! In response to an earlier post, I don't think folks, even non-curmudgeons, will give up on microphones and speakers any time soon ... radiotelephone is still a lot of fun, and a little more personalized than banging on a keyboard! - 73, K9CTB

KT4RK likes this.
  7. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at the pics of your shack, you probably don't have any problems .... but if someone has enough RF in the shack to require RFI immunity on the speakers, you would have a problem speakers won't solve! Just 2 cents adjusted for inflation.

8. KT4RK

KT4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

I see. If someone gleans information from a podcast during their daily commute to/from work rather than gleaning it from multiple catalogs like you do, then they are in need of "help." Glad we cleared that up.

9. W4HM

W4HM Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally don't have RFI in the radio shack even at 1000 watts PEP. I was repeating what is advertised by West Mountain Radio.

K9CTB likes this.
  10. YO3AOE

YO3AOE Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE = "W4HM, post: 4788796, membru: 399058"] Eu personal nu am RFI în barca radio chiar și la 1000 wați PEP. Am repetat ceea ce face publicitate de către Radio West Mountain. [/ QUOTE]
    Sint Nelu-YO3AOE din Bucuresti/Rominia si salut! pe toata lumea.Eu sint un om mai in virsta,am aproape 71 de ani,si de-a lungul vietii mele de electronist si radioamator am testat multe lucruri,printre care si multe difuzoare si boxe.Sfatul meu sincer si deschis,nu va mai luati dupa reclame,preturi,caracteristici tehnice si chiar sfaturi,pur si simplu cuplati pe rind mai multe difuzoare/boxe la statia cu care lucrati in mod curent, ascultati cum se aude si alegeti pe cel/cea care va va place cel mai mult.In acest domeniu nu exista retete universal valabile,totul tine de aprecierea noastra directa si personala,de gusturi si preferinte individuale.Astfel,am gasit scule profesionale care-pentru mine-nu se auzeau (prea) bine,si scule simple si ieftine care mergeau-in acel caz-cu mult mai bine pentru urechile mele, asa ca numai proba "pe viu"-hi! poate da rezultate semnificative.Noroc si succes la alegere,73! de la Nelu-YO3AOE

11. M0MNG

M0MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

The ICQ podcast started in 2008 with a new edition every two weeks since then, and every episode has a feature. That adds up to an awful lot of features. Some interest me personally, some don't; some are extremely basic, some a lot less so. We can't all be experts on everything in the vastness of our great hobby, and none of us was born with pre-existing knowledge.

So the fact that I might (personally) find a topic basic and find myself thinking "well surely every ham ought to know that already" does not render said topic valueless or without merit to somebody else. I can still take pleasure in knowing that another amateur will have benefitted from it, even if I haven't. Helping other people is all part of the ham spirit, and help with "basic" stuff is just as valid as help with more complex topics.

I am just amazed that even after all this time, Martin M1MRB somehow still manages to dream up topics to cover. I started listening in 2012 and I am not aware of many (any?) repeats or major re-hashes of previously-covered features.

If anybody has any features to contribute (especially people who have written negatively about the loudspeakers one), then I know that Martin will be very pleased to hear from them.

Ed M0MNG

12. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said, Edmund! Bob Heil has taught many of us about the human ear and the Fletcher-Munson (and successors) frequency curves for human speech. Martin did a great job covering the choices of staying with the built-in speaker vs. the manufacturers add-on vs. an outboard speaker. Kinda like what Mr. Cranky Pants has in his shack.

K4BBN likes this.
  13. N5EMI

N5EMI Ham Member QRZ Page

i bought a mfj383 external speaker and i have to say, its terrible rfi gets in and i cant even operate mobile. im looking for a good rfi resistant speaker to run mobile any suggestions from some experienced hams that run mobile alot?
    im running a ts-50 and my truck has air gaps in the door so as im doing 75mph i can barely hear my radio turned all the way up...

14. KI4QVB

KI4QVB Ham Member QRZ Page

What's a speaker?

15. K7LOL

K7LOL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hilarious !

What's your favorite headset?

Let the games begin . . .