ad: LZQSLprint-1

ICQPodcast - Loudspeakers for Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Sep 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you tried ferrite beads on the audio cabling?

2. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a VIZEO 28" model SB2820n-EO Sound Bar w/Bluetooth and Remote which delivers up to 95dB at >1% harmonic distortion. 100w per channel and sounds beautiful.

3. W1PA

W1PA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had really good luck with some generic 4" com speakers with mylar cones -- great sound and less likely to distort. e.g. Workman K16

4. KU4GW/SK2023

KU4GW/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the Yaesu SP-8 speaker that matches my Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V, but I never even use it anymore because I found the best sounding speaker I've ever heard when my employer for 20 years, Broyhill Furniture Industries, decided to replace all their old PA speakers in the plant I worked in with the horn type PA speakers. I bought one of the old PA speakers for $4.00 and because I worked in wood finishing I took it and lacquer thinner soaked rags and took all the old factory green paint off and refinished it with an oak finish. The speaker itself is 2 way (18-inch woofer and 6-inch midrange) in an 18-inch x 18-inch x 8-inch deep wooden box and it sounds the best of any speaker I've ever heard in my 22 years in the hobby. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds and there's no way I'll ever part with this beautiful sounding speaker! Here's a photo of it. I am, however, thinking about building me one of the resonant CW speakers from the plans by Bill Sepulveda, K5LN.

[​IMG]

5. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

I just find the prices asked for a voice reproduction speaker totally bonkers. The prise of most commercial radio speakers are as high as a lot of Hi-Fi speakers if not more so. I save any speakers that I find, test them out and if worth it build a small box for them to use with a communications radio. Usually cost me nothing but a bit of time and improves the overall sound quality. I did use to build Hi-Fi speaker cabinets to Wharfdale specs, so I have some knowledge on what I am doing. 73 de John - g0wxu.

6. KU2US

KU2US Ham Member QRZ Page

I decided to spend some $$$ and get the Bhi DSP speaker-WOW! It is pricey but it really works. I was very suprised! My Icom 736 does not have DSP so I use it on HF. Worth the $$$.

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've played with all sorts of speakers for radio, but have found the Motorola mobile speakers (and knock-offs, like Uniden) work the best for voice. And around here, you can snag them at a hamfest for $10-15 each.

[​IMG]