ad: UR5CDX-1

Hamvention 2019 Building Update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, Aug 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD4LT

KD4LT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The outdoor thing is not the best for that area , with the rain and sun it can be hell. What is needed is a indoor football stadium our something like that. That can hold the people and parking is large , and is all in side ! I don't think Ohio has a thing like that?

KF4ZKU and KC0IVF like this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. Everyone knows that business situations [and local politics and leaders] never change in the real world in the course of a couple years. There must be a conspiracy involved. :)

W1YW likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the downsides of the present era of prosperity is the jacking up of construction costs. I am certain that the out-building (contractor) business is oversubscribed and people are now being charged the highest rates...probably ever. IOW any qoute from 2017 was probably 30% higher in mid -2018.

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I, for one, will not be attending until the walkways are paved with gold, and vestal virgins scatter rose petals in my path, as the bearers carry my throne from one castle to the next.

Actually, I look forward to attending next year -- and hopefully the whiners will stay home and not steal my flea market deals.

As my dad used to say, some folks would b***h if you hung them with a new rope.

KF4ZKU, K3GM, NK9Y and 6 others like this.
  5. KC0IVF

KC0IVF Ham Member QRZ Page

Listen up folks,
    Here's another problem: Anyone that is Handy- capped or in a wheelchair is completely screwed in the flea market area. They can't even get in there, let alone get around in the muck! That's a Red Flag as far as I'm concerned.

6. KC0IVF

Listen up, because here's another problem:
    Anyone that is handicapped or in a wheelchair is completely screwed when it comes to the flea market area. They can't even get in there, let alone get around in the muck! That's a red flag as far as I'm concerned.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that an opinion based on observation? :)

IMO DARA did an excellent job for the scooter-dudes.

Any complaints from the scooter-dudes?

I definitely saw some golf carts tooling around in the flea area...I assumed that was part of the solution to the issue you mention.

8. KC0IVF

Heading to the flea market area...
    That's not a solution, that's a Band-Aid on the problem. If you want to get around in a wheelchair you by yourself you can't do it. My observation was there weren't any 'scooter dudes' as you so eloquently put it.

Attached Files:

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Your criticisms lack merit, IMO.

The picture is a silly attempt to convince others by portraying an image that did not exist from Hamvention 2018.

I was there brother. I have no idea where you, your downed tree, and quicksand/mud came from. NOT from Hamvention.

For decades, DARA has gone out of its way to help and accommodate the handicapped-- which includes several of its own members--at Hamvention.

I can't explain your assertions other than to say, that, IMO, they are not informed by the weight of the reality..

I think you should apologize to the good folks at DARA for this bogus characterization.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  10. KC0IVF

The weight of the reality is, IMO, you're going to need your rubber galoshes when you go out there. Have fun, Chip!

Mike
    KC0IVF

11. KC0IVF

That picture was a joke, to make people laugh. It obviously didn't come from the Hamvention! Don't be stupid. It's all in fun so give me a break. Lighten up.

All in fun.

12. KC0IVF

Some people can't take a joke. And if you can't accept criticism then that's not my problem.

13. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Need hip-waders for this thread as well. Perhaps Elon Musk will develop a hover-chair and rent them out for cheap next year?

Can't remember how many car swap meets I've been to where it rained, and besides slogging around in the mud, you had to get Bubba to drag your car out when you got stuck. Just part of the fun. Like doing Field Day outdoors in 100+ degree weather, and Winter Field Day when you sweaty butt freezes to the stainless toilet seat at the campground.

W1YW and KC0IVF like this.
  14. KC0IVF

Yep, like I said before 'Goodbye Arena, Hello Fairgrounds'. Oh well...
    And yes, DARA has done a fine job....

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike,

Cheap tickets mean limited venues.

Chip W1YW