ad: Alphaant-1

ARLB011 Amateur Radio Parity Act Language Inserted in National Defense Authorization Act

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N9PBD, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No....the word is "effective". That is not a technical term.

E-F-F-E-C-T-I-V-E.

It is a legal one, in this case, and will be determined based on extant law. The extant law is Part 97.

Efficiency is seldom a main driver in ham antennas. Its mismatch; directivity; power pattern; F/B; and launch angle.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. And there will be plenty of antenna professionals more than willing to take money to state that case.

N4KCD and WQ4G like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO they have not treated the key legal expert, K1VR, well. And K3RF, who was an assistant director, has been forbidden to run for office, for no reasons provided (only assertions of 'conflict of interest').

K3RF will be speaking at Dayton. You should catch his talk.

As an antenna guy, I will not assist the ARRL on HR555 related issues in the future. Willing to help on other stuff, subject to time available.

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

That smell following the ARRL is the bridge behind them

KK5JY likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah. :(

Unfortunately, that bridge separates them from more than just the people they claim to represent...

6. N4KCD

N4KCD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip, you are so correct....I was typing and totally blew my own literacy argument by using the wrong word. I did mean to say "effective" but got so emotionally involved with what I wanted to impart that I used efficiency instead. You are right the word of the day is "Effective"!! Oh well, see you this weekend and maybe we can have that ribeye sandwich together. I had one last year and it was very good. 73, N4KCD, Ken

W1YW likes this.
  7. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip,

The Senator from Florida would rather stick a butter knife in a light socket than put a hold on NDAA. DOD bills seem to fly through without much opposition, Florida is heavily dependent on defense money. Senator Sunshine is running for re-election, wanna play with the Military budget or make a few HOAs mad?

8. KK5JY

In Florida? I don't know that I'd want to have to make that call. :eek: That might be the definition of "between a rock and a hard place."

N5PZJ likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point.

Chip W1YW

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's never that easy. ARRL does many great things, and some things that are wrong. This is one that is wrong.

ARPA is a fantastic initiative. Its the execution that is the problem.

You still need to work within rather than fight outside.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  11. N5PZJ

Its a no brainer, you let the Military have a free pass, hold up NDAA 2019 and you are toast. He is running for Re-election and which ad will make the most folks see RED:

1. He tried to hold up the military budget for 2019.

2. Folks, he got that pesky ham radio antenna bill outta there?

I don't think the Ham Radio Antenna bill is worrying Florida Voters very much, but the military budget would bring up fourth and down on 99 yard line if Senator Sunshine held up the NDAA with Armed forces presence in Florida, It would allow the elephant to stomp him at every chance and say, He is not a True American, vote ELEPHANT.

12. KK5JY

I'm not sure it's that simple in Florida. Both constituencies have substantial representation in that state. In Oklahoma? Sure, kick the HOAs to the curb. In Florida? I'm not sure.

Then again, several of us see @RP@ as almost solely representing the interests of the community associations, and having nothing to offer to AR. If that is the case, then the gentleman from Florida has nothing to fear, because passing the bill would mean that he has delivered, both for the CAs, and for the military. So it will be interesting to see his reaction to the amendment, provided that it makes it to the Senate at all, and provided that he even notices it before passage of the larger NDAA.

13. N5PZJ

HOAs are NOT POPULAR in Florida as you would believe with the General Population, A lot more Military Folks than CAI Supporters!

14. N5PZJ

I am tuned in to politics, you see I was elected to office on October 14, 2017 to fill in a vacancy and the education has been wonderful!

W1YW likes this.
  15. KK5JY

If that's the case, then maybe he will just "miss" the fact that the legislation slipped into the NDAA. "How did that get in there??" ... or similar. "Oops!" :)

Then again, like I say, I don't think he has anything to fear. If ARPA passes, he will have delivered for the CAs. They won't mind a bit. He did his little song and dance about how much he hated it, but its passage will not be a loss for his paying CA constituents. The ones that care already have a fantastic battle plan for defeating any amateur antenna project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.