ad: M2Ant-1

CQ to "Jump-Start" Print Edition With January Issue - November and December Issues to be Digital Onl

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K2HAT, Dec 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

No January print issue today, Friday 1/12. Two emails have gone unanswered. The response from a phone call was that they were mailed last week, and that they had a blizzard up there. So what? Although at this point I would really like to believe them, I just can't. I guess the blizzard kept them from jumping. Or not.

Let the buyer beware!

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed. I have been seeing these threads for a while now, so I subscribed to the digital-only version. It shows up on the first of the month, every month. ;)

I'm sorry so many of you are having trouble with the print version, though. A few months of that would probably make me a bit grumpy, as well.

3. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

The 'Liars from Long Island' are once again true to form. Saturday January 13th, and no January print issue. Anyone get theirs yet?

4. KD0NPT

KD0NPT Ham Member QRZ Page

I subscribed in Sept. 2017 and cancelled in December 2017 and received my full refund within a couple days. Guess consistency is not their forte.

5. N0GB

N0GB Ham Member QRZ Page

you will not be disappointed. The membership is well worth it and Radcom is a a great magazine delivered exactly as expected. Its now Jan 13 and still no CQ magazine for January. They are toast, unfortunately.

6. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

With no mail this Monday, that means the jump start is half a month late. So even if it shows up eventually, what did we gain? Nothing. We lost two months (maybe three now) of print issues, and the pattern of BS hasn't changed one iota. Yet the editorial dept. is acting above it all, especially with all of their recent pontificating about the ARRL. Just flush the toilet and get it over with. Business is business and I could forgive them if they would either put up or fess up.

N0GB likes this.
  7. N0GB

N0GB Ham Member QRZ Page

I will get next months QST and Radcom before I will see another CQ mag.

8. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I forgot to say that they need to get their own house in order before they pass judgment on another.

WB8NUT and WN1MB like this.
  9. WB2AMU

WB2AMU Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree....they should not be throwing stones at the ARRL if they are not capable of being on time with both the magazine and awards.

WB8NUT likes this.
  10. WB2AMU

WB2AMU Ham Member QRZ Page

What credibility does CQ have, or what kind of nerve that they have to criticize the ARRL who may not be perfect when CQ has no good record to stand on? QST is on time - something CQ has not done for over five years. QST had never had to skip or combine issues - something that CQ had done at least twice during the past five years. QST does pay authors - CQ does not. QST has a decent schedule in sending awards in contests - typically one year. Not CQ. The ARRL is far from perfect but in my mind, you have to have things in order in your house, (such as timely delivery of the magazine) before you start writing editorials criticizing the ARRL.

WU8Y and KF4ZKU like this.
  11. VA7AON

VA7AON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is an interesting conversation. I'm an old ham and had my photo and an article about me in CQ back in the 60's. But I'm not nostalgic about the magazine. Today there are so many wonderful free online articles, tutorials for anything and gear reviews why even consider magazines - print or digital? I agree with a previous writer that the younger generation is focused online. Even a lot of old timers are now!

KF4ZKU and KK5JY like this.
  12. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

It has become rather obvious that the print magazine is the thorn in the paw of the CQ organization right now. They are pressing on with all their other endeavors like nothing is wrong at all. Money seems to be the root of this evil, and I can't imagine that print subscriptions as well as advertising revenue are not slipping drastically. So it will only get worse as time passes. Like anyone with a problem, they seem to be in denial. Swallow your pride, look in the mirror, face reality, and just pull the plug on print. Anybody that follows you loyally will follow you into digitalville. This is a shame because QST is becoming less than it once was, but if print is just not viable for CQ, so be it. Times change, for better or worse.

KF4ZKU likes this.
  13. WB8NUT

WB8NUT Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with an all digital approach is that the revenue will not be there to support CQ. First, paper subscribers will mostly drop their subscriptions. Second, digital advertising does not bring in as much money as paper advertisements. The reason is that digital advertising is not retained like paper advertising and therefore is worth less. Sure, they might have to move to digital to TRY and survive, but the reality is, that dropping the paper magazine means a significant drop in revenue.

I've said this so many times in the past, if they would be open and honest with people, customers might have understood and went to their aid and subscribed. All they have done over the last three to four years is build up ill-will and mistrust, and now down-right anger.

First rule of a crisis, "when you find yourself at the bottom of a hole, stop digging!" I actually believe it is too late for them to try to fall on the sword. That should have happened years ago. I sense the end is near.

WD4IGX and KF4ZKU like this.
  14. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

My January print issue showed up today, January 16th. Don't know what to say that hasn't already been said.

KK5JY and K2HAT like this.
  15. KC3GSV

KC3GSV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My Jan issue showed up today also.

KK5JY likes this.