ad: CQMM-1

Land Ops ARC Playbook (less controversial release) - HF Expansion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6QBM, Sep 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be awesome if the $3000(so far) I made in humanitarian aid to PR--here's hoping FEDEX can follow thru-- was delivered by LANDOPS. Frankly, I don't see any evidence that they have ever "helped others" but would be happy to be presented facts that show otherwise.

I am delighted to let everyone know my shopping list. Why? Because that way you can see what people are sending and if its getting there.

I sent down my own 'boys toys', including (so far):

FT450D in a go kit (pelican case) virtually new
    EU2000is generator (new)
    2 electric chain saws (new)
    100 Wise MRE's (unopened)

That's shipment 1. Went out Friday.

Angel has asked for solar lamps and batteries, among others. That will be part of shipment 2. I am waiting on another 300 MRE's. And flags. Among many other items.My garage is filling with boxes to be forwarded. My neighbor thinks I am a psycho with the 10 (new) chain saws sitting around...:)

Yes, Herb is doing an amazing job, as is Angel and many others.

LANDOPS can 'play' all they want; the question is....to what end.

If its just for fun, then say so. If its "to help others", then show us that. Don't hide behind some claimed religious imperative not to tell (Arthur)....and calling out others who are actually doing something, as allegedly sinful.

If helping others is sinful, Arthur, then I am very guilty as charged.

LANDOPS, if the mission is "help others", then tell us more. Your premise is interesting and we would all like to hear more about the execution of mission.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    W0PV likes this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a fine line between practicing "adult scouting" skills and para-military training.

The tone and rhetoric in these vids seems more like the latter then the former.

Like fantsizing an old episode of The Rat Patrol into the 21st Century.

That also portrays adventurous off-roading, orienteering, radios, same as LandOps minus the weapons and live fire. Part of an unspoken plan by some to be added to Land Ops in the future?

Then LandOps could easily morph or splinter into a mechanized version of The Minuteman Militia; or an opposing vigilante force.

Static walls become less relevant when a battalion can be highly mobilized; where and what will the LandOps "movement" extend into next?

Just musing about the real purpose of all this tremendous human kinetic energy; altruistic or egoistic?

John, WØPV

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

prshipment1.JPG
    Shipment 1 as it went out the door....(picture)

When I see responses like "hey, MY PEOPLE" my Brandeis education (of social justice) reminds me of code words... Not sure why we need a para-military group based loosely on ham radio....but as I said, I am delighted to be educated with the facts.

And I have already been pegged, apparently, as a sinner for donating to PR. So hey, I guess it's all a side effect of my alleged high blood pressure. I do wonder if the response would have been different if it was MONTANA rather than PR.... well, maybe not.

Hey LANDOPS guys....I am getting ready to send a NEW SPARK drone down to PR. Do you folks have any suggestions on bootstrapping the batteries to increase flight time? This is a serious query--

73 John,
    Chip W1YW

4. W6RUF

W6RUF Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip W1YW, thank you for funding and deploying all that gear to PR. I'm sure it will help.
    I've been a member of Land Ops for four years now and I run the Northern California group. Land Ops is NOT para-military and is NOT a prepper group. We DO NOT use guns in our Op EVER.
    It's a bunch of hams and not-yet hams who love to get together, go camping, practice off-road navigation and radio communications. I've nurtured seven new members to become hams and two of them have gone on to get thier general license.

In June 2015 I had a group of five Land Ops members in the Whiskey Falls area of the Sierra National Forest and we were scouting the area in advance of planning an operation there the following month. About 11:40 a frantic man comes out of the forest, waves us down, and states that his 12 year old autistic son had been lost in the forest about 45 minutes and he wanted help. Our group quickley mobilized, set up a net control station, deployed two of our vehicles with two people each, began a search, and called for help on the local Repeater. Madera County Sherrifs department SAR responded and by the close of the day we had found and rescued the boy. I'd be happy to provide you the details to prove that Land Ops helped someone.

Driving off-road using active off-line GPS mapping, using VHF simplex communications in difficult terrain, and learning communications skills in active environments is NOT EASY. I'm sure many people cannot imagine why so I'd like to issue a challenge to anyone reading this.

Assemble your own off-road capable vehicle, equip it with what ever you think you need, and join us for one op in the California Sierras. All you have to do is drive around with us, use off road mapping capability, and talk with other hams over VHF simplex. Easy right?
    I will gaurentee two things; 1 You will learn something about your gear and what needs improvement, 2 You will have fun being with a group of fun people.

P.S. Don't show up with a Range Rover...we don't want to do a vehicle recovery on your first adventure.

KD8AQT, W1YW and W6MQI like this.
  5. W6MQI

W6MQI Ham Member QRZ Page

Bloviating, hyper opinionated, and with an ego that's in the stratosphere you guys would leave him at the first way point, I know I would that constant old lady bitching would drive me nuts.

VE3JEC, KE4TA, W6RUF and 2 others like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks,

That sounds like a fun and worthwhile activity and your explanation is much appreciated, defines LANDSOP well, and clears the air:)

My off-road days are behind me but thanks for the invitation:) I confirm ur Range Rover comment!

Chip W1YW

W6RUF likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps you should learn what the term 'sexually dimorphic' means first. Then you can correct all your other factual inaccuracies.

Say hello to the windmills for me.

8. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

Like SOTA on wheels.

W1YW likes this.
  9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in favor of Land Ops being a wholesome fun activity that can be associated with ham radio too.

However, again, IMO, the Land Ops tutorial videos. while produced cleanly, too often seem to have a veiled militaristic theme, look & sound ("geo-tactical") trying desperately to be camoflaged as potential SAR drills.

The training on use of the technology is okay, but again, to what true end ? This observation from a former member of Army MARS.

I would prefer seeing Land Ops projects and their publicity "playbook" having or combined with more emphasis on personal fitness activities, ala SOTA or ARDF, rather then just riding around in petrol-burners.

How about some Land Ops and vids with more Radio Orienteerng, VHF/HF Packs on MT-bikes, or on foot, combined some with "Tough Mudder"-like obstacle courses along with that rock-climbing and rappelling.

I acknowledge being motorized may open accommodations for a different expanded demographic including something for disabled, frail elders, or those with out robust health. However, they could always participate in team projects in a ancillary or supportive role.

My 4X4 days are in the past too, but I'm very familiar with such adventures. Back then the ride was a '70 International Scout with the optional 304 CID V-8. See representative pic below.

Back in Minnesota, aka The Gopher State, vehicles like that are useful not just for off-road fun but for getting from point A to B on the street during the colder half of the year. All year round the MN GO-4-Wheelers club is quite active.

73 de John WØPV

[​IMG]

W6RUF, KF5THB and W1YW like this.
  10. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I watch the Land Ops Mesh video, and I can see a need in learning how to deploy a Mesh Network with VOIP phones. We might have to develop a Land Ops training plan with something similar to their Mesh Videos for our club winter field day....

W6RUF likes this.
  11. W6MQI

W6MQI Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow bet you had open up WIDE to pull that one out.

KD8AQT likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

For someone with sniper training you have a remarkable propensity for being off-target. Let alone off-color.

Stop chasing windmills.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    W6RUF likes this.
  13. KI6QBM

KI6QBM Ham Member QRZ Page

You're absolutely right Chip, sorry for my errors here on QRZ. We've just installed a "condescending filter" so we can actually hear your advice through the static.

14. KI6QBM

Thanks for the compliment on the video. As much as they capture some of the action we are still a new club and still very local, but we are looking to expand and next field day we look to have a good overview.

15. KI6QBM

Chip, you're getting very boring. You say the same thing over and over and sometimes with big fancy words. We simply don't compare to you, Mr. big bully. YOU'RE NOT INTERESTED in learning about those we've helped. You just want to provoke a response so you can judge it, degrade it and compare yourself and tell us how superior you are to all of us. You don't give us advice to help us improve. You're very clearly a condescender

KE4TA, AF6TC and KD8AQT like this.