ad: ProAudio-1

6 meter 50mhz FT-8 HF Digital Mode

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Aug 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I just made my first 6 meter FT8 contact :D

M0MNE and WU8Y like this.
  2. KF7WAG

KF7WAG Ham Member QRZ Page

6 (meter's)

3. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

By your logic, you'd rather take away the option for others to make QSOs in the first place than to adapt and leverage technology to its fullest potential. When did ham radio cease to be a technical hobby again where people explore new things?

M0MNE and WU8Y like this.
  4. K5TRI

6m right now thanks to FT8 :)

6m-8-4.PNG

M0MNE likes this.
  5. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah...don't sweat it Jeff. For 15+ years I've been "parked" on 50.125 just waiting for the band to open and I've made quite a few contacts with the help of my converted Heathkit SB-200 amplifier, but this new FT8 mode I think could possibly be the cats meow. Even when folks think that 6-meters isn't open, it actually may be on FT8 or even JT-65 for that matter and it's happening alot. So...turn-on, tune-in and DX with FT8 on 50.313

KK2DOG
    Watertown, NY

KD4MOJ likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

OK...OK... I get it.

So assume I am Mickey the Dunce (and I am am typical of an old fart on this). I need a STEP BY STEP list to check off to get FT8 up. Choice of rigs for list---TS990; IC7800; FTDX 1200.

1) Buy box "X" with mike cable adapter "Y" and plug into mike connector and speaker of rig "Z"
    2) install software "K" into computer
    3) Run a USB cable? from computer to box "x"
    4) Follow software instructions.

Lil' help on the alphabet fill-ins?

Chip W1YW

7. N5INP

N5INP Ham Member QRZ Page

A millihertz is 0.001 Hz. In fact my Rigol function generator can generate a millihertz. :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    K0PIR likes this.
  8. WA4IAM

WA4IAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've enjoyed the new FT8 mode on 6 meters, but I also still work JT65 on that band for weak signal work.

9. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to agree Jeff. This was also my reaction. DXMaps shows the band open when just about everything is FT8. It now appears hams want to take the easy way out to making contacts. FT8 is one step closer to making qso's without human contact.

10. K5TRI

Please throw your computer away. The Internet has become a medium where no direct human contact is required anymore. Despicable!
    You no longer have to look another person in the eye.

OTOH it enables you to actually get in contact with more people, just like *gasp* FT8 enables others to make more contacts. What a
    concept, eh?

But we get it. They're doing it wrong because they're not doing it your way.

KK2DOG and WU8Y like this.
  11. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, that's a pretty strong reply for me just giving my opinion. I never said you have to do things my way. I just gave my opinion. And I think I'll keep my computer, as frustrating as it can be at times. I like it for logging.

12. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly. Thank you for reiterating my point.

DX Maps has become relatively useless now for those of us who like to operate the phone modes now that it plots contacts that are indiscernible by one's receiver and the human ear. I wish they could at least color-code the plotting for different modes so as to show what is feasible outside of the digital realm---but anytime I see transoceanic paths occurring at this dismal point in Cycle 24 I now quickly assume that it is not going to happen for me (even with my amp cranking out 500 watts PEP).

Perhaps most of the digital lemmings are hard of hearing or incapable of conversing so they clamor onboard the Digital Easy Train; they don't really have to say or hear anything in order to make a "good contact," do they? Forget about accepting the challenges of propagation, timing, all the hours spent listening to the 50MHz frying pan for the DX hunt---just click on a few keys or whatever it takes to bag that memorable six meter QSO!

Why bother taking decades to achieve DXCC on 6 meters the difficult old-fashioned way when you can earn your wallpaper over a weekend or two spent in front of your computer monitors instead?

Sounds like such great fun, doesn't it?

73, Jeff

13. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, you don't get it at all, obviously.

14. IK2AGX

IK2AGX Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not use 6m, but fully agree with your concept, it applies to HF as well lately.

Can't see the fun or the skill making a QSO by pushing a couple function keys
    on the keyboard.

K2DFC and AK5B like this.
  15. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page