ad: M2Ant-1

Midwest Tropo on 2 meters

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W0AAT, Jul 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked out to Ohio tonight, 650 miles on 2 meter SSB. More people need to get on and make some noise! 144.200 is the calling frequency so if you ragchew there give plenty of breaks for people farther out to hop in with a CQ etc!

A good tropo indicator is here

http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

And the region 2 chat here is where some of the stations land to chat back and forth waiting for a new station.

The low band, VHF, UHF and microwave chats (by ON4KST)

If you have never worked 2 meter tropo get on and give it a try! hearing those simplex signals hundreds of miles out is a blast! My best distance via tropospheric ducting over land is 1313 miles! Over water for some paths(CA to HI can be thousands of miles).

2. W0AAT

733 miles tonight! Get on the air!

3. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Mary we are on the air- point to the east coast. Larry K0TPP EM48 has heard my CQ from FN30JV in Suffolk long island. We need some E's on 2M... Best time for us for tropo is September... I am ready with 1KW

4. N8SAN

N8SAN Ham Member QRZ Page

This is AWESOME!!! HOW COOL!!!

5. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

Made a few hundred mile contact on 2M SSB using 2.5 watts to a rubber duck antenna last weekend!

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. W0AAT

My personal best on 2m tropo is 1,213 miles to the southern tip of TX! Of course with EME I can work the world... during that early 2000's massive tropo opening I heard CO2OJ but couldn't get his attention over the 4 land qrm wall

7. N8SAN

no way?! That's amazing!

8. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

On a repeater net last week in MN , we had checkin's from SD , IA , MI & FL .

9. N8SAN

So this was on FM??!

10. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

11. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tropos are what got me Hooked on DXing!! I just love working TROPOS out of the Chicago area back in 1968 to 1970.
    It was the MOST EXCITEMENT I have had in Ham Radio!!!!
    I nailed 8 states on 2 meter AM, it was great!!! We don't get much in the way of TROPOs out here in Kalifornia, but we do get the wonderful DUCTs to Hawaii!!! I worked a station there on the BIG ISLAND that was louder than any local on 2 Meter SSB.

12. N8SAN

Now that is amazing!
    I only have a mag mount on my jeep for 2m.
    OH! I do have an Arrow Sat antenna I could hook up and try SSB. hmmm!

13. N8SAN

Tried listening and making calls last night while I was covered in the "red" on the map.
    Both SSB and FM on my arrow, changing the polarity respectively for each.
    Nothing heard at all. Bummer.

14. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

15. N8SAN

Man I'm jealous.