ad: Radclub22-1

Busy time for Project Amelia Earhart flyer

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N7XGR

N7XGR Ham Member QRZ Page

Good for you Bonnie! Remember the History Channel is not interested in the truth! They are only wanting those stinking RATINGS!
    Anyway who wants to sit through 2 hours of this only to be cheated by watching 32 minutes of stinking commercials is beyond me.
    They have 16 minutes of commercials per hour--I timed it. I watched only 2 minutes before they went to a commercial, I then flipped
    to another channel. The video and audio editing was very unprofessional as is all of History Channels "shows".
    They are only in it for the entertainment--not for what actually happened and the video and audio shows this nonsense.
    The higher the ratings the more they can charge for commercial air time.
    And now we return back to regular programming the Project Amelia Earhart Flyer already in progress!!!

Bruce N7XGR

KQ6XA and W5BIB like this.
  2. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

I translated the title page of book: Sea Lifeline – Views of the South Seas by Masaaki Nishino [loose translation, my own].
    The round red ink-stamp date at the bottom of the page clearly shows...
    Showa 1 0. 10 in kanji characters 昭和 一0. 十
    ...which means it was printed in October 1935.
    The old style date method uses the year of reign of the Emporer, in this case the 10th year of Hirohito, called the "Showa era".
    This is a printed travelogue book that is in the Japanese national archive library.
    http://projectameliaearhart.org/photos/title_page_sea_lifeline_views_of_the_south_seas_by_masaaki_nishino/
    [​IMG]
    See a high resolution image of this.

There are many more images in the book, showing the islands and sailing vessels around Saipan, see the National Diet Library Digital Collection PID:1223403..

AG5DB likes this.
  3. KQ6XA

4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonnie,

Upon further review, I wouldn't be so fast to jump to conclusions based on that image. Unless there is more translated from the book.

The imprint appears to be an ink stamp, but its NOT a post mark.

The book is a TRAVELOGUE. It's more like a diary / passport, and loosely bound, with the ability to add pages.

Unless further translation proves otherwise, it's doesn't appear to be on a title page; instead after a few blank sheets its on page 5.

Perhaps it is just a date-stamp to indicate the BEGINNING of the LOG ?

73 de John - WØPV

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    W1YW likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The assertion of "publication" of the photo in 1935 has no factual basis.

6. KQ6XA

I previously cited the red ink-stamp, because, in Japan, traditional ink-stamps are equivalent to legally binding signatures.
    I realize that westerners have a hard time understanding this.
    Since I grew up in Japan, it's not difficult for me.
    No one who can read Japanese disputes the 1935 date.

Those who doubt the chain of custody or authenticity of this publication in 1935 should take it up with the Japanese national library.
    It was sitting in their archives for a very long time, and it was digitized and put online in 2010.
    Many of the pages of the book also have the old non-ink embossed stamp impressions from when it was received into the archive.
    Nobody even gave it a second thought until after the History Channel tried to pass a photocopy of it as Earhart 1937 evidence.
    Then a researcher put the word "Jaluit" in their search engine.

The back page date notice in the book also is printed "Showa 10" which is year 1935.
    It was printed in 1935. See image (notation in English is mine)

[​IMG]

So, you have the Jaluit harbor photo in context, in a 1935 publication, with a lot of other photos taken on the same steamer cruise through the islands. That's about as good as it gets for physical evidence.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    WG7X and AG5DB like this.
  7. KQ6XA

Brian Lloyd WB6RQN / Aeronautical Mobile pilots his airplane "Spirit" round-the-world for the Project Amelia Earhart 80th Anniversary Flight.
    More info at http://projectameliaearhart.org
    Video clip shows Brian in the cockpit at high altitude, about halfway around the world.
    He is wearing an oxygen mask while in flight from Karachi Pakistan to Kolkata India on 16 June 2017.
    Brian Lloyd is the first solo aviator to fly the historic Earhart equatorial route.
    Aircraft: Mooney M20K 231. Single engine, propeller. Modified with additional fuel capacity, improved navigation, satellite and HF communications equipment, and Ham Radio.

Click to watch video
    [​IMG]
    Video by Brian Lloyd, used by permission: ©2017 Brian Lloyd CC-BY 2.0

AG5DB and W5BIB like this.
  8. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a great achievement. Not sure how many people were with them, but let's remember that two women also followed AE's route, or at least as much as they could given changes in the political landscapes. They were Ann Pellegreno using the same model Electra in 1967 and Linda Finch in a closely restored similar model in 1997. Neither landed at Howland (nobody has) but they did drop wreaths there. Both of course had far more support and better navigational equipment than Earhart ever imagined.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep.

Your assertion that the complete document was "published" in 1935 is lacking in support, Bonnie.

If I date the opening of one of my lab books as June 2011, it doesn't mean that my latest entry was in June, 2011.

What evidence do we have that this travalogue was bound-published in 1935, as opposed to 'begun' in 1935?

How do you account for the USG listing the photo as '1937'...not '1935' ?

W0PV likes this.
  10. N7XGR

N7XGR Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone determined what ships was in that harbor? Has anyone tracked down these ships logs to determine where they sailed
    and what harbors they visited? Was any of them at the same harbor at the same time?
    The US Government makes mistakes all of the time, the clerk that received this photo and other items put the received
    date on this photo. If there is no accompanying material to exactly date it then the clerk put the received date on.
    Has anyone tracked down who took this photo? Where is the original photo? Negative? Throughout this book is there any other date(s)?
    What is needed is a page by page translation to give exact context of the entire book. I noticed there is some type of
    embossed round stamp on the back of every photo, what is this stamp and translation of the characters?
    There is a map with the routes taken on this voyage, what ship was this and the ships log thereof.
    More research is needed to exactly put a date on this. It has the appearance for this voyage is 1935.

Bruce N7XGR

11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonnie,

The script column you point out on the image of the page is recognized as follows and clearly shows a date, probably the "publishing" date,

昭和十年十月五日印刷

This roughly translates as "October 5, 1955 Printing".

This is in addition to the Showa era date some interpret as 1935 referenced for the era of the start of the log,

昭和十年十月十日發行

Other data, title, names, locations, etc, interpreted from that block of Japanese text in the same manner is consistent.

Note that the back of some pages, which at first appear blank, actually contain faint remnants of other circular ink stamps, like watermarks, impossible to clearly make out online. However, that points to the probability that pages were added to the scrapbook during the journey.

73 de John - WØPV

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

So this book was published

18 years after Amelia Earhart's Capture in the Marshall Islands...

13. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to read on FB that Brian finally got a replacement Micom3 HF radio, thanks to Bonnie's intervention! Hope this one doesn't crap out too.

Perhaps a QSO with WB6RQN/AM will still be possible on his way to Oshkosh, if he doesn't just do ALE.

But first, the treacherous crossing of the Pacific.

Aviate ... navigate ... communicate.

73 de John - WØPV

14. AK1M

AK1M Ham Member QRZ Page

We need someone who can read Japanese to confirm. I copied and pasted those characters into the online translator, Babelfish, and got "Print 10/5/1935," not 1955. Try it, here: https://www.babelfish.com/

15. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, there are discrepancies in interpretation by different online translators. Google and a version of Babylon (not Babelfish) say 1955.

However, it is pretty obvious that the Kanji characters in the box at the end are different then those in the circular ink stamp in the front. Obviously there is a cultural factor involved as well, and I am not an expert in that or the language. So I would defer to Bonnie in respect of her experience, or others, in that regard.

As long as they appear objective. The blogger who brought this out, a Japanese "military historian", unintentionally or otherwise, may have at least a cognitive bias toward interpreting and presenting the finding in the most positive nationalistic way.

But even if the correct translation of these characters indicate a date of 1935, it still doesn't defeat the question of their meaning, nor necessarily date the images contained in the binder. Again, as Chip pointed out too, it could just be the beginning date of the diary, or the general era of the subject matter.

If this was actually a published work for sale, there ought to be other surviving copies of it as well, not just the one in the Diet. Those who may possess them could offer further insight about the history of the book(s).

73 de John - WØPV

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017