ad: elecraft

Yaesu Announces FT-70DR 5W Dual-Band C4FM HT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Mar 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K6BCK

K6BCK Ham Member QRZ Page

Having used the FT-60R (same radio) for over 10 years actively supporting public safety I can't complain. The keypad programming is very straight-forward w/ 1K channels. I've had all the "bang for my buck" I deserve for my $350 investment. As they say, "you've tried the rest, now buy the best. " 73'

2. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

in GERMANY this radio is buy at 285 euro !

3. N3RSJ

N3RSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok more affordable HT is good .
    Now lets introduce a mono band UHF into the mix likesay its a FTM-4200D with wires connections on rear 45 watts.
    Then we all can await for FUSION 220 mhz Repeater and Monoband Radios Imagine that.

4. WB3ANT

WB3ANT Ham Member QRZ Page

on ebay....that includes shipping

5. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

$199. for an HT :( I do not use an HT enough to bother to own one.

I had a really nice Kenwood TH-F6A that when I bought it was about $300. what a waste of a really nice radio for my use.
    I sold it 4 years later for $200. with the original box etc having used it to TX 3 times. I listened to broadcast radio music a few times.

With the hills and valleys in my area a 5-8 watt HT can be frustrating if you are mobile. I normally run my Mobile Radio at 25 watts.

6. K6NIK

K6NIK Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't handled enough single knob Yaesu HTs to know by looking at it. Does it look like a push/pull to you?

KV4BL likes this.
  7. VK3HUT

VK3HUT QRZ Member

I'd
    I'd reckon it's a single button press for volume (see left side button just above the power button). Then adjust the volume via the multifunction dial. That's my best guess.

8. KE0IMD

KE0IMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think so... it could be multifunction as stated above, but I think that's reaching for a budget fusion HT.

9. K6NIK

K6NIK Ham Member QRZ Page

I see that HRO is selling the FT-1XD for 250 now. It seems to pack a lot more value into it including dual watch, GPS, etc. Wouldn't an FT-1 make more sense for 50 more?

KF5VGK likes this.
  10. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was waiting for the FT-70DR, but the HRO price on the FT1xd got me.

11. N0KEW

N0KEW BANNED QRZ Page

I don't understand why they would put the useless GM nonsense on it but no way to control a node.

Every single d star radio ever made can function like a digital radio. It can link the repeater to a reflector or do call sign routing. Even rigs from 12 years ago.

This one does group mode sans text messages, photos or location.

If all you want to do is talk in a digital mode I guess...
    No thanks

12. KJ5GUY

KJ5GUY Ham Member QRZ Page

I know this is an old thread but, here is my 2 cents......I agree with Bill, there are other HTs that are even more expensive than that! I think that's a bargain at 200 bucks for a C4FM Fusion radio HT I'm buyin too!

13. INTREPID

INTREPID QRZ Member

What does the FT-1xd do or not do compared to the new FT-70DR?

KF5VGK likes this.
  14. AI4RA

AI4RA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone here have an inside track into knowing when the FT-70DR will finally make it to the stores - and into our hands? It was supposed to make it to Gigaparts by the end of April, but that has come and gone. This looks like a fairly affordable digital 2m/440 handheld - the first of the type that has really interested me.

15. AA6PP

AA6PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So here is my opinion. The FT-70DR is going to be priced at $199. The FT1XDR (latest with updated GPS) is on sale this weekend for $229 after $20 instant rebate at HRO.

Here is what you don’t get with the new FT-70DR BUT you do with the FT1XDR
    1) No GPS
    2) No WiresX capability (you will not be able to connect the repeater to rooms with the FT-70 but if the repeater is already connected you will be able to receive/transmit)
    3) No dual band display, the screen supports only one band at the time, although the radio can notify you if another frequency stored in your memory channels is active)
    4) No Band Scope that I can find on the manual
    5) No APRS support (since there is no GPS)
    6) No distance information in miles/km support since there is not GPS
    7) Less wide receive frequencies, the FT-70 goes from 108MHz to 580MHz where the FT1XDR goes from ~500Khz t0 999MHz
    8) No SD Card slot for easy programming (as far as I can tell)

I think the FT1XDR is a much much better radio for $29 more! The HRO deal expires 5/22

Antonis, AA6PP

K6NIK and KF5VGK like this.