ad: Schulman-1

AM Phone-- The Slight Return

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Oct 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

5Y3GT, possibly. But, DX might more likely be VU39 or something.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I will watch out for'em on the NC-400 :)

3. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Chip,

Those of us in the AM part of the hobby will appreciate your enthusiastic recounting of what you heard this past weekend, but your broader question is a little behind the curve, since AM is already a well-regarded part of operating on HF. There is no permission needed to "let AM have its voice," and there was a time in the past when I would take some of your characterization as patronizing.

Instead of being provoked, I will thank you for saying something I today consider positive, and hope others who haven't discovered AM will encounter it with the same appreciation you are describing. For consideration: A regional ARRL survey a few years ago found 20 percent of subscribers listing AM as among the modes they use on HF. National operating events directed toward AM draw hundreds of participants. Regional daily operating schedules draw dozens of stations, giving AM one of the most consistent, distinctive activities found on HF every day of the week.

You've already got one response from someone who declines to delve into AM, having been there and done that in the 1960s. Yet, most people I encounter embrace AM's human-sounding audio, the storytelling nature of a typical AM QSO, and the overwhelming sense of technical care that goes into building, restoring, and making the most out of vintage or contemporary equipment configured for a clean, strong Amplitude Modulated signal.

They come back as listeners, participants and advocates for the mode and activity of AM, a combination status not found in more ordinary modes such as SSB on HF, or FM on repeaters.

Our part of the hobby sells itself to newcomers. It does not need artificial promotion in the regulatory structure, any special set-asides in frequency allocations / sub-bands, nor anything above and beyond the coverage of all the other parts of the hobby we enjoy as active licensees. Sure, it would be nice to see a version of your account published in one of the national hobbyist magazines, but I've come to the conclusion we can do best to stave off narrow-minded attitudes left over from the days when SSB was struggling for acceptance. That battle has long since been resolved, and most of the people who resented the rivalry first-hand are dead or off the air.

That clears the way for a couple of generations of licensees who've gotten on the air since then to explore AM, or to get on the air even more often for those like myself who've been on AM since we got our "phone" license well past when it was the mainstream voice mode.

You suggested in your post that we would "hear" details of Chuck's station, and I took that to mean you were attaching a sound file or a link. I've pulled up one of Chuck's DX contacts on 10 meters to help illustrate your compliment, and another that shows how Chuck brought in and welcomed another operator checking out the mode for the first time.

I'll email him that he's been acknowledged (once again) for his outstanding station on AM. I've known him for about 30 years, back to when he was WA1EKV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ESWKO0E9Ak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdIt7hmbA_8

Regards

KX5JT likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Now Paul,

No point being huffy when someone is taking your side.

Enjoy the discussion in its positive light.

Yep. I used to listen to Chuck as a novice. Really cool.

BTW Chuck sounded much better than these files this past weekend. Let's get people to listen rather than clicking a file on the internet;-)

Chip W1YW

5. WA3VJB

You missed the part where I described how Once Upon a Time I would have been provoked.

And too, reading the printed word falls far short of putting across the sound you were describing.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Paul,

Its all good. Enjoy:)

Here's a great shot of Paul with his awesome setup:

1. [​IMG]

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  7. WA3VJB

You "heard" me doing so.

QSL the photo too. A kiloword's worth right there.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I completely agree with Chip. I listened to the opening to Europe on 29mhz this weekend with glee and amazement at some of the great sounding signals.

Although most AM operations are down on 160, 80, and 40 meters, I prefer the higher bands for the DX, lack of much QRM, and the QUIET, ie, nearly no QRN or PL noise, which enhances the hi-fi experience.

The top of 10 meter AM segment has been active for a quite some time and I am also glad to see similar happening up on the top of 15m too. (The 14.286 MHz channel seems to have ceased ops awhile back due to the vulgar QRM'ers, now being fined)

Sure, for some OT'ers (like me) there may some lingering ambivalence, the mainstream transition to SSB was not always pretty, but there are still many desirable qualities to some good AM mode operation. AM has hung on and even grown through boat anchor glow-bug nostalgia, but its having a renaissance with SDR technology.

And its not just the transmitter clean and being efficient either. I was hooked again first time I tuned to a SWBC station using SDR-Radio via a remote receiver (thats free downloadable software from the same author of Ham Radio Deluxe) I am pretty sure this is similar to what can be done with a Web SDR, or outboard with a Flex or other SDxcvr as well.

The features of even simple SDR's seem so superior to conventional analog on AM, with wide adjustable bandwidth, lots of noise and tone settings, selectable sideband or synchronous detectors. etc etc etc. With such an active previously owned market now, I am planning on picking up a Flex5K just for AM operations.

Best of all, most of the "Hevi-Iron" AM guys are not being snobs and welcoming those with SD tech!

Actually, I think they may be soon outnumbered ...

73 de John WØPV

PS - of course, if you're really just into AM pileups, just tune to 27.025 MHz most any time ;-)

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's a counterpoint: I was on 17M AM a few months ago when Chuck was on the band in a 2 or 3-way QSO.

I broke in, as did about six others I could hear very well. Chuck stated, "I hear some breakers, we'll get you in..." and then completely ignored everyone and went back to the QSO in progress without actually letting anyone in.

That's not the way I operate.

Each to his own to do whatever he wishes, but it's not so "welcoming" as many would boast.:p

I actually think this is the main reason there isn't more AM activity than there is. Honestly, and seriously.

If I "break" into an SSB ragchew, I'm usually included in the conversation within a matter of seconds. On AM...not really...maybe several minutes, or maybe not at all. I can fully understand why many newbies try it once or twice and then stop trying.

10. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

I've heard Chuck many times in 75m Am.
    Audio is about as good as it can ever get.
    I believe I was hearing a Class E Rig.
    As to Steve's comment; my position is that most AM contacts in progress are about their existing old transmitters, mods and home brew equipment. Nothing wrong with that as it's more or less standard for them.
    As such I have little to offer in that context running a Kenwood TS2000 and AL 80b amplifier so don't try to enter a Qsoo on that basis even though I fully understand the technical conversation about equipment I don't even own.
    I know the Flex units are being used very often but still I don't fit the average contact.
    If I call CQ on 75 AM I always get answered by someone for a short contact.
    I do find it very exciting to fire up on 15M and watch the carriers come on getting ready to answer me.
    One particular contact was from Canada with very good audio. Turns out he is in broadcasting.
    I think we all need to try harder now that the bands are thinning out from participation In general and is down on 75m in the northeast..
    Best to everyone.

11. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Way to go! I have a DX-60 on the bench right now getting it ready for AM.

I currently run an HT-40 into a Henry and the combo does very well on AM.

-----------------------------------------

AC0OB A Place Where Thermionic Emitters Rule!

12. NE1AM

NE1AM Ham Member QRZ Page

My entire thoughts on bringing back AM can be heard in my callsign...

NE1AM?

As many here have already stated, AM has such a rich quality to it that gets lost in sideband communication. If I want contests and contacts, I go on to sideband. If I want a quality ragchew, I try to make contacts on AM.

13. KJ4DGE

KJ4DGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I tend to agree that AM has a place on the bands, bandwidth or not. Some of the best HAM engineers out there have and still use it. DX-60 is a good start for newbies to AM. I had one once in the 80's. Could not believe the sound quality and like was mentioned the richness of the audio. everybody has a right to their pet modes and way of thinking. Keep AM alive.

KJ4DGE

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

My observation, since I came back on 4 years ago, is that the phone bands have had a dramatic decline in usage, save for contest weekends. CW is way up, in part because prop has been so poor and noisy this cycle.JT65 is exploding, for the same reasons.

Plenty of room for AM.

73 Chip W1YW

15. KB3WGE

KB3WGE Guest

In my opinion, AM should b left to C.B.; Medium Wave & Short Wave broadcasting.... besides it's not "green" i.e. power efficient 73's Jimi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.