ad: cq2k-1

AM Phone-- The Slight Return

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Oct 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Franco has been on again this season.

Thanks for the responses! Glad to learn that Franco I5KAP has become a bit of a celebrity on 10m AM. There is even behind the scenes documentation of him operating,

http://youtu.be/IseRqIKSV1M

No doubt that AM fone is a passionate mode !!

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm all for AM, and think it often sounds great. Even some of the screen modulated and carrier controlled BAs can sound very good.

I'm not all for the operation style which is to hammer down and transmit for 10 minutes at a time.

I use AM exactly like SSB, and use VOX (on AM). So if I have something to say, it usually lasts 15 seconds and the VOX drops, over to the other guy.

That makes for "conversation," as opposed to monologs. As long as others also do this, I think it's great fun.

3. WA1QIX

WA1QIX Ham Member QRZ Page

This could be the hay day of AM ! The bands are not crowded, there is LOTS of pretty decent sounding commercial equipment around, and you can build your own AM transmitters if you are so inclined, and with modern, relatively easy to obtain components. Don't get me wrong - tubes are great and if you're into nostalgia that's even better, but if you are not so inclined and you want to build something with inexpensive MOSFETs and other modern components, you can do it! Check out http://www.classeradio.com for more about building solid state transmitters.

I've been on AM for more than 40 years. The stations on the air today sound, for the most part, SO much better than the average station back in the 60s or 70s. Only the really technically capable folks sounded good back then - now it's not so difficult.

I've talked with Chuck K1KW when he was using his new transmitter. He sounds really good - but Chuck always does, so no big surprise there, really. YOU can too :)

Regards, Steve WA1QIX

KX5JT likes this.
  4. K4HX

K4HX Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you say red herring?

Why do you think anyone cares about your preferred operating style? Very few AM transmission last for 10 minutes, especially on 10 meters. Even if they did, how does it stop you from starting your own QSO with short transmissions? If you call CQ, you can set the operating style. Breaking into an existing QSO and expecting them to conform to your preferred style is silly if not down right rude. You post is more about your hang ups than the AM mode.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That may be completely true, but I'm not talking about 10m, where you can QSY over a couple hundred kHz and start whatever you wish (and I've certainly done that).

On the "other" HF bands, from 12m down to 80m, AM activity is more "channelized," and the majority of activity is on one or two frequencies. Kind of like the digi modes, everyone has to share. THAT is the problem. 20m AM is mostly on 14.286 or so. If you QSY somewhere else and call CQ on AM, you'll be not only interfering with people most of the time, but the odds of getting an answer become slim.

Here in southern CA, even 75m AM activity is almost all on two frequencies, and between them or elsewhere is SSB country and likelihood of getting an answer, or not being lambasted for interfering with ongoing SSB contacts, are slim.

So, "following the gentleman's agreement," AMers mostly congregate where AMers meet...with the exception of 10m.

And to me, that's the issue: If one or two dominant stations have a long rag chew there, there can be literally no place else to go. Even our "local" AMI net on 75m is kind of like that. It's a "net," and invites people to check in...but that's impossible unless you have lots of time, because those in the net often hold very long transmissions discussing such imporant things as how their new 12AT7 is working vs. the previous 12AX7 and other ridiculous stuff that no one could possibly care about other than the originator of that trivia.

To be "inclusive" means letting everyone in, and the only way to accomplish that is by holding very short transmissions.

6. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

AM on 20m is also on 14.330. I think activity on 14.286 has tapered off due to QRM and other factors. What is shameful is the loads of intentional jamming we endure simply because others don't like AM. If one takes time to LISTEN to these long transmissions, then one can often LEARN something. Folks like Don K4KYV are extremely helpful to newbies.

Problem??? Not at all. It's just not your cup of tea. Spin the dial, be happy, find someone else who likes brief contacts.

KX5JT likes this.
  7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Great condx again today on 29 mhz. Here's a bite of Dave M5AFD with his brilliant audio blasting in S9+ here on the Gulf coast of central FL. As Chip said in the opening post, the qualities of such good quality AM allow the bright tone, reverb ambience and presence of the room to be felt.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0sH5BlOptAi

8. EW1HF

EW1HF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello! I work AM at 29.000 every weekend. Please call me ! Vlad EW1HF

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    KX5JT likes this.
  9. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

I work AM on 10M mostly. Local chats and what not.

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am on 2m AM the most.

11. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice aircheck recording. What is your receive setup? I mean, besides the Knight Space Spanner.

And yes, you can hear his room acoustics, as if there's a big glass window or a hard wall some distance from the microphone.

12. KC9UDX

W1AW/x on AM again... Keep it coming!

13. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it was nice that some existing "Tall Ship" AM stations have used the club's calls. Some of the AM schedule was announced on the email reflector sponsored by the Southeastern AM Radio Club.

Subject: W1AW/4 October AM operating slots

The following time slots are reserved for operating as W1AW/4 in Alabama on AM mode:

Sunday Oct 19 9 - 11 am Central time 15 meter AM on or just below 21.430 MHz

Sunday Oct 19 1 - 3 pm Central time 10 meter AM 29.000 MHz nominal

Monday Oct 20 3 -5 pm and 7 - 9 pm Central time 75 meter AM 3.885 MHz nominal

Monday Oct 20 5 - 7 pm Central time 20 meter AM on or just below 14.330 MHz

This will be your last chance to work W1AW/4 on AM in Alabama. Come visit with us on the
    air while you can!

Perry K4CWW, Trustee for W4UAL

University of Alabama Club Station:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  14. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Was able to hear everyone last night calling Alabama on AM.

Couldn't hear Alabama though :)

15. KC9UDX

I got home too late :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.