ad: Radclub22-1

4 Reasons why we need more hams

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4RYP, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AE7XG

AE7XG Guest

Oh I don't know about spending to much on A used radio. You have to know who to ask. The right person (elmer) should know A good radio when he sees it.

And let us not propagation is what gets every body on the air. Week prop. is what drives me to digital modes.

P.S.
    I bought A Yeasu FT-101 for $175.00 been using it since 2009. It was made to be worked on.

2. KC1BLE

KC1BLE Ham Member QRZ Page

Will you be my elmer?

3. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

Cost of entry is actually quite low as equipment goes

With Chinese dualband handhelds going for $40 new and decent used HF rigs for around $200
    You might be able to find some scrap wire to make an antenna for a few dollars.

Coax is still kind of costly but still you can be on the air for <$300 now.

4. KD2SJM

KD2SJM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think its being pushed as some sort of homeland security thing. I myself and a former Marine who was a radio repairman(MOS 2841) but really only had HAM radio brought to my attention via what I think is one of the best shows ever on TV, "Jericho". I don't consider myself a prepper per se but it is the reason I originally got my Tech ticket almost 2 years ago now and hopefully my General this weekend to be prepared for a communications failure. I think being prepared for something that causes WROL is a viable reason to become a HAM and now that I am, I am driven to try everything HAM related. I've built antennas and have every intention of working all modes and bands as well as learn CW because I feel like I am missing out by not trying all aspects of HAM Radio. Problem is I am 40 next month and I cant seem to get my daughters (13 and 15) involved. It doesn't help that they are in sports, dance and other clubs like FFA all year round. We def need new blood though and by that I mean an influx of younger HAMs starting in the teens. I belong to my local club and at 39 I am the youngest there with a few under 50 and 90% of the club being 65 and older. Not that old is an issue but I think it keeps younger kids from getting into the hobby because who wants to be 16-30 and go hang out with old guys and talk geek talk? I do but that's me. I almost wonder if local clubs should have a pseudo club within the actual club for younger HAMS that can maybe cut their teeth with like minded individuals and then join forces every month with the older group until they feel comfortable around the older HAMS and realize they aren't just a bunch of old crochety guys, okay some are but not most, and like a lot of the same things. Sorry for rambling. That's my noob 2cents.

5. KD2SJM

10m was pretty busy this early eve in the Tech Phone chunk. I've logged a few rares or what seem to be rares to me. Couldn't get thru to a guy calling CQ DX from Trinidad and Tobogo. I would love to see some more digital slots open up. The tech class has some nice sized CW spots in HF but its not required anymore and I haven't learned it myself yet. First on my list to do after getting my general this weekend.

6. KD2SJM

Good point. I bought a FT-2900 to get on the local repeaters and to put in my car someday if the boss ever lets me, lol... That's all I had along with a FT-60R my father in law wasn't using and a little cheap 30$ car antenna that I also used in the house. Eventually my father in law dumped the hobby so I was gifted his gear which was a FT-450 with the internal tuner added, MFJ-269 Analyzer and a Hy-gain AV-640. That's close to 2k in equipment that I wouldn't have been able to afford at one time. Hell I would never have been able to by a thousand dollar radio for that matter. I lucked out a lot but for some its hard and would have been for me. There are ways to do it for cheap sure but I think this is one hobby where you really do get what you pay for.

7. W4HTP

W4HTP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not deriding preppers and know many, also myself participating in a 440 prep Net in Charlotte, NC as I type this response. We QSY to 75M HF after the 440 formal.

My experience with quite a lot of preppers is the basis of my first-hand comment. I know those I speak of and do indeed try to encourage them, but they have no interest in radio and see their license and Baofengs strictly as a tool far down their list of "beans & bullets".

Many preppers forgo the license and have radios they can't operate, thinking they will learn when necessary (under stress, no less). After they tell me a license won't be needed when SHTF, I acknowledge their assertion and explain the reason for a license in times of peace is to be able to legally practice and build communication skills; further that they may find it an enjoyable hobby, too. Again, I am not deriding them, just stating a painful reality.

In time of peace prepare for war. ;)

Bottom line to me is that we need more licensees that actively participate ..... for whatever their chosen reasons.

8. KG4ZAR

KG4ZAR Ham Member QRZ Page

My comments above and reference to Barney Fife were not directed towards "preppers". Heck, in some ways I've been a prepper all my life. I'm also a biker,a farmer, a CDL professional driver and a writer, among other things. My problem is with Homeland Security, State and local Emergency Management and ARRL pushing the EmComm as the selling point of ham radio rather than the day to day hobby. Let's face it...if you don't have the ICS tests on file and wear the correct ARRL patch you sure will not be welcome at the next tornado,flood,hurricane,etc...... But nobody shows them what to do with ham radio the rest of the time. And to the official types.... ham radio is just another type of public service radio. Hence the "Barney Fife" reference.

I welcome all to ham radio. I enjoy showing new hams how to talk 2400+ miles on 50 watts on six meters and a few hundred miles stateside on two meter SSB. I'll gladly teach someone to build a six meter antenna from a couple of old weed whackers! I'm really a new ham myself,liscensed only since 2003,but I came here for the hobby . I already had more public service radios than I could use at one time!

9. K5MVW

K5MVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Anybody ask the ARRL why they had to get rid of the novice class. We had too many classes of licenses. I became a novice in 1957
    and a general in 1958 at age 13. I went on to become an electrical engineer. There were few people in the company that knew I
    was a ham because it was not a positive thing in the industry. Hams have gotten a bad rap because of some of the stupid things they
    do. I have to admit the quality of the ham population has gone down hill but then so have the testing requirements.

Tom k5mvw

10. K5DZE

K5DZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Carl,
    I think you are On Target...We do need more Hams and it would be well if more were young people. You might check my Amazon Kindle book, GETTING YOUTH INVOLVED IN AMATEUR RADIO: Thoughts On Teaching Amateur Radio To Young People by Bob Patterson K5DZE B00C38S2CK. You can also go to http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0043BYWVU# to see how we might help new guys/gals get into Amateur Radio. Keep at it, OM Bob K5DZE

11. W1PPP

W1PPP Ham Member QRZ Page

Carl I don't think there's any clear cut way to attract new hams, primarily because no one knows for sure who the current hams are. I don't recall ever seeing any reference to any studies etc into the demographics of the currently licensed ham radio community. If a group doesn't know "who they really are" it's pretty tough to approach others and say "hey, come join us!". This is something ARRL should be on top of, and maybe they are and I'm not aware of it. But of those 700+K licenses currently held, how many are going to be SK in the next 20 years? 10 years? Next year? Knowing 700K does you know good, if you don't know who that 700K is.

Next, once you have your comin' to Jesus and admit who the community is, next is to look at what the demographic is of those you want to attract. If the demographics of the current licensees don't have much in common with the demographics of those you want to attract, you got a heck of an uphill challenge ahead of you.

Let's take a 14 year old kid as an example. Which would he or she be more likely to be interested in, the radio control of drones and robotics, or the finesse needed for using a CW bug for HF?

Then there's the preppers, the one group of licensees I have seen more disdain for on these boards, than any other. This is a group "made in heaven" to be brought into the ham radio community. That Baofeng is going to just let them know what's with their immediate group. A Yaesu 817 is going to tell them what's going on 100, 500 or 1500 miles away TOO !!!

You asked for suggestions. Here goes the first one. Get a younger member of your club to put together a presentation to kids on how radio makes a drone or robot do was it does and show them the frequencies. Explain the transmit and receive portions of the components that make up each of them. Then lead into what else can be done with those and other frequencies. That could be a great precursor to trying a satellite QSO. IMHO, the presenter really has to be young enough for the majority of kids to be able to relate to. You run in your basic retired ham, and all the kids will see is some old duffer.

Second. Have the club set up at local gun shows and ranges. Show those in attendance what options are available for communications no matter what the situation. Cobble together a few antennas and show those there how they can be able to "prep" their communications by using easily found components. Feel like getting real adventurous? Set up your next field day in front of a local sporting goods or gun store so people can see radio in a "prepping" scenario.

12. WA3PRR

WA3PRR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd have to agree. I am the Emergency Coordinator for our local club (still pretty new at the job), and I try to operate under 3 basic tenets:

1. Be ready in case you are needed in an emergency.
    2. Understand that you will most likely never be needed in an emergency.
    3. The best way to help first responders during an emergency is to stay out of their way.

Your point is extremely well taken. The guys who dress up in their pretend-cop uniforms and drive around in their porcupine-looking vans with all the flashing lights do a great disservice to those of us who don't want to look like Barney Fife, but want to be available to help ONLY IF AND WHEN NEEDED AND REQUESTED.

13. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

The total problem is very complex and involves a lot of reasons when considered in total.
    From about 2008 to the present time I have been observing the drop in ham band populations.
    For example many hams won't go to 75m because of the general ham population there and how they act.
    In 2008 there was hardly any space to operate without being jumped on from some close nit group for QRM or other interference. These things often evolve into serious differences between individuals and groups.
    Then enter the FCC lack of enforcement for the last 15 to 20 years until very recently after being asked by the ARRL begin clamping down.
    Arguments abounded constantly between groups and individuals aand left to fester and grow.
    This is just one area that has contributed to the decline.
    Now today that band is clear and easy to operate on. Why, there are many perceived reasons why these former operators are just not there any longer.
    One is the my area was hit intensely by hurricane Sandy that caused loss of homes, equipment, jobs and other effects.
    Another was FCC clamp down on very bad operating practices by older hams as it should been long before.
    Just look at the FCC fines finally being levied on chronic 20m operations. I have been listening to this trash for years. by those individuals.

So you see there are many many reasons why ham radio has taken down turn despite the numbers on record.

Seems there are still people who blame the ARRL for the licensing direction taken.
    People, the ARRL has no power or authority to change any rule or law.
    The ARRL was however the only association in sight that could or would take over the testing/licensing per the Law and report to the FCC, as a trusted enity. If they refused, where would Amateur radio be today? I don't know that answer.
    There is history behind why the code was dropped and tests given reduced to a low common denominator that most do not know about. And so the blame game goes on from ignorance. It is absolutely unfair to take your spite out on a no code Extra for the law and requirements as they now stand, which he has no control over.
    VHF/ UHF contesting continues to drop year after year.
    If one looks deeply into the many areas and reasons for the drop in ham radio participation and considers the total effects, it can be seen why this is happening.
    Many clubs run classes like herding cattle through a pen to some other location then wonder why these people are never seen or heard from afterward. The basic answer is these people had been primed with a perception that turned out not to be supported in fact, so some months or year later leave ham radio drop.
    Again there are a lots of reasons why this has happened.
    One very big one is the political and economic climate that exists today making many people very unhappy about many things and making ham radio unimportant to them.
    So folks it's not a simple situation due to so many variables.
    Last, thank your government for the loss of code and testing that has happened, not the ARRL.
    Your government/congress put pressure on the FCC to reduce the requirements so more people could become Amateurs.
    You see what it brought? I was privileged to hear about this from a very reliable source.
    You see what you have today because your gov, knows more than you do about the hobby and how it should be conducted.
    It would not surprise me that someday the power limit will be reduced just because it would mandate/force you to save power.
    Sounds like a lot of rambling but to hit a number of serious areas in a short space, it has to be done to get some points out.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  14. AA6XE

AA6XE Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the same drivel that we heard 20 years ago that was used as a justification for eliminating the Morse Code requirement and gutting the question pools. At the time the number of US Hams was on the order of 300,000. Today the number is in excess of 700,000 and by your own admission Carl band activity has not picked up ! So why do you push this line Carl ? After all you have been licensed just 4 years.

Here is where the rubber meets the road that reveals your intentions Carl. Like your thread on new Digital Modes what you are just looking for is new customers for your employer. Let me give you my perspective. When I was first licensed in 1972 there was but a handful of outlets where one could purchase Ham Radio equipment. Outfits like Harrison Radio, Barry Radio and Henry Radio had but a few outlets in the entire country. And those dealers are long gone. Most of us built Heathkits or constructed Homebrew Equipment for our first radios. It wasn't easy but there was a special sense of satisfaction that came from gaining your first contact from something that came from your own hands. 2 Meter Repeaters were in their infancy and talking with the guy on the other side of the town didn't seem like much of a challenge when you could dial him up on the telephone. Or get a CB Radio for that matter. Most General Interest Ham Radio Clubs had interesting meetings on occasions but there few resources for individuals that genuinely wanted to excel in all aspects of radio especially Electronic Theory and Design. If you were fortunate enough to have an active Contester or Contest Club in your area you could wangle some operating time at a big station. If you were enrolled in a College or University that had a Ham Station you could get some operating time there. But when it came to Weak Signal VHF Work one had to beat their own path to some solid Elmering as no formal path really existed. A not much has changed in the last 40 years. And as software has come to dominate the rest of our lives it has displaced a good deal of the Radio in Ham Radio. I'm not saying that software should be expunged from Ham Radio but it should be deemphasized from entry level curriculum. The problem is Ham Radio like most other educational endeavors these days Teaches to the Test. And once the Ham gains his or her license almost all learning and pursuit of the science ceases. Want to see what amateur radio should be ? Check out W2AEW's youtube page. His videos run from the very basics like simple construction techniques to the complex like a user analysis of the new Tektronix Multi Domain Scopes. Yesterday he released a new video dealing with Op-Amp Bandwidth and Slew Rate. His video are presented in an easy to understand delivery that receive accolades from his viewers.

Unfortunately word has not gotten out about these resources and most clubs don't have the personnel that can present material on this level. So what is a new ham to do ? They go to their local Ham Radio candy store and seek advice there. Advice that usually comes in the form "buy this and it will solve your problem". I was recently in one such store sifting through the periodical section looking for some information. Out of the corner of my ear I could hear a conversation between a new ham and a counter clerk. The new ham, a YL, was having problems with man made generated RF noise on 40 Meters. The guy behind the counter immediately proceeded to do a selling job on her with an audio attachment that would set her back a 100 bucks or two. What either of them didn't know or what he was keeping from her is that if the RF Noise was pumping her receiver agc there was nothing an audio device could do to address her problem much less solve it. But on the charade went. I picked up my books and magazines, proceeded to get rung up at another register kept to myself and left in disgust. It is likely that Ham bought what was peddled to her only to find it didn't work. And all to often these types of stories end in discouragement of one form or another. Either they forget about HF-Weak Signal work and pick up their 2 Meter Handhelds or they quit Ham Radio all together.

Ham Radio existed long before Ham Radio Dealerships and it will exist long after they are gone. Double the numbers of Hams again ? The last 400,000 the discipline has picked over the last 14 years doesn't seem to be doing much for it outside of providing a market to sell radios. So we should do it all over again ?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  15. I4OQA

I4OQA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hallo,

a big ,big NO to all the article. Sorry !!
    A big YES if exams to get licence will go back to the seventies. Severe exams. No on line exams !!
    Study, study and study. And be prepared for a thaugh exam.
    Electronics and telecom. behaviour on frequency.
    Yes, back to CW. 20 wds x minute. not because its needed, but is an attitude forming a mentality. Sacrifice.

Best 73 de i4oqa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.