ad: k1jek

4 Reasons why we need more hams

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4RYP, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The ARRL didn't get rid of the Novice class; the FCC did.

It was a recognition of the fact that the Novice was no longer the entry-level license for most new hams; the Technician was.

Back in 2000, when the FCC closed the Novice to new issues, there were just under 50,000 Novices - and over 205,000 Technicians (and that doesn't include Technician Pluses).

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

http://ah0a.org/MPT/index.html

A couple of things about the Japanese system:

1) They have four classes of license. The most popular license class is 4th class, which never had any code test and was relatively easy to get. Since 1985, the 4th class license has accounted for more than 90% of JA operators.

2) Japan makes a big distinction between operator and station licenses. Operator licenses are free and essentially never expire. This means that the number of operator licenses is actually the number of people who have ever held an operator license since 1952 (when Japan started issuing licenses again, after WW2). Station licenses, OTOH, do expire, and are in far lower numbers.

3) The decline in Japanese amateur radio numbers closely follows the introduction of cell phones in that country. This leads me to think that many JA hams got their licenses in order to use amateur radio as a personal radio service - a need which is now met by cell phones.

3. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good post. I would like to see every day or at least every weekend somewhere near the activity I hear when there's a contest or big DX event. I can tune around on the 15-30 meter bands, and hear nothing. I figure conditions must be pretty good because W1AW CW practice runs are coming in 599. Then the next day (or even later the same day) there's a contest or a DX pile up and it's chaos!
    As far as: "[FONT=&amp]At that point, we will have exhausted new 2x3call signs starting with “K” and I can suggest to the appropriate governing bodies that we move promptly into a 1x4 format.".... I see no reason for going to 1x4 or 2x4 calls while there are so many old calls from hams who are now SK or who have not renewed for years that could be reassigned. My old Elmer from the 60s passed away in the 70s and his call is still unassigned. Likewise, my old call and that of a buddy who moved to 4-land in the 80s. The FCC could recycle those calls [/FONT]and have plenty to work with for a while, anyway.
    Very 73, all...Joe

4. KG7AUF

KG7AUF Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I'm a new ham. I've had my general for about a year. For the most part I use an HT on the way to and from work. That's when I have the time for the hobby. Here in Western WA, the repeaters are very quite most of the time. That being said, when I first got started I went to several club meetings. It was soon very clear that going to meetings was not for me. The meetings consisted of people setting around arguing over if a repeater should be moved or to spend $70 on a low power xmitter for fox hunting. Not my thing, I want to learn the hobby, not play politics. I'm also an ARRL member and I get the QST. I do look a the QST, I don't spend a great deal of time reading however, it's over my head, I'm a new guy. IMO - there is very little in the QST for a new guy who is not an EE.

Like most people I've got more to do than I have time for, so hooking up with an Elmer for a day just won't work. I'm one of the few it seems that's not into digital. I have an HF rig, which sat new in the box for about 4 months before I could get to it. To get on the air I got a Buddipole antenna because I could put it up in no time and take it down when I was done. I spent about a week for about 1/2 hour a night playing on 20 meters. During that time, I made 2 contacts both in response to other stations CQs, no luck yet with my own CQs. I don't know if that's typical but that's my results.

I understand that there are many people out there that study for the tests and that's it. That is what I did. I got my Tech and General at the same time. I would like to think that most people who take the time to get their ticket want to get something out of the hobby. Personally I would like to know, if I'm doing it correctly, if anyone can hear me, and how do I sound. I've listened to people from all over the world, Japan, Finland, Brazil, Peru and all over the USA, very, very cool. I would like to do more...

From my point of view it would be helpful for the new guys and gals if there was a net(s) where the new guys could hook up with the old timers, just to work on getting it right. I think that would go a long way to helping the new folks get going and excited about a new hobby.

73, Troy.

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good post Troy welcome to the hobby.

6. KD2SJM

KD2SJM Ham Member QRZ Page

What was in red was more than enough to make how you handled the situation understood... You are correct also that I could have asked why you didn't intervene instead of the accusation I laid down and I apologize for that but I also don't think you needed to try to talk down to me in response. I guess neither of us was the bigger person in this situation and for that I am sorry.

7. KD2SJM

KD2SJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the kewl info. I was however speaking specifically of my are including those in the club I belong to. I like all the guys and they are all helpful if I ask something but as KG7AUF stated there is politicking and divides in the club which is unfortunate. The old timers comment wasn't meant to be derogatory but just as an age descriptor.

8. AA6XE

AA6XE Ham Member QRZ Page

There are 2 points that need to be addressed here.

1) The "Spectrum Scarcity" line. This card has been played several times with Amateur Radio and it was last played in the "Restructuring Debate". "If we don't grow our numbers they will come for our Spectrum !". First the "Spectrum Scarcity" phenomenon is one that is associated with spectrum at the upper end of UHF. That is above 440 Mhz and more like 1 Ghz and above. The principle cause of "Spectrum Scarcity" is Telecom Companies buying up Spectrum at Auction and letting it lie fallow. The intended use for this Spectrum is to provide for new proposed Wifi Systems. The topic of Spectrum Hoarding has been addressed in several recent articles, among them : http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/553085/study_disputes_predictions_coming_spectrum_crunch/

Amateur Radio over the years has had to defend its VHF Spectrum from a number of attacks. Specifically I'm referring to the 220/222 Mhz Band. That allocation was on a shared basis with Private Land Mobile. Neither service was using it very much when in the mid 70s the EIA (Electronics Industry Associated) came along and proposed a new CB Service in the band. The EIA is the lobbying arm of the Electronics Manufacturing Industry. They peddled it to the FCC as a way to clean-up the situation on 27 Mhz. The proposal gather steam but was met with fierce resistance from a number of Amateur Radio Groups including the ARRL. The proposal was defeated. A few year later PLM decided to mount an attack of its own. UPS said they needed the Spectrum to support its business. Another fight ensued. Amateur Radio lost the bottom 2 Megahertz in exchange it was granted an Exclusive Allocation to 222 to 225 Mhz. That was in the early 1980s. Since then there have been a number of challenges to Ham Radio Spectrum all of which have been fended off.

The use of Auction is something that was only recently implemented by Congress. In order for Spectrum to be auction it has to be designated as such. And the designation process is a lengthy one that is subject to challenge. The FCC is finding this out right now with the Low VHF Portion of what was the old Analog TV Band. When Digital TV was implement Analog TV Stations were required to leave that Spectrum and move into the TV UHF Band. This left the spectrum occupied by Channels 2 through 6 (56 to 88 Mhz) vacant. The FCC along with a number of Telecom Companies are seeking to convert that into a new Wifi System. But the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) has other ideas. They are filing Legal Challenge after Legal Challenge trying to stop the Re-designation of the low VHF Spectrum. That Spectrum was set to be auctioned last year. The proceedings were delayed until next year (2015). If this latest challenge is unsuccessful it will be auctioned in 2016. If it's successful it could never be auction. Mind you this is Spectrum the TV Broadcasters are no longer using ! So the process of reclassifying spectrum for auction does not happen with a wave of the hand.

returning the subject at hand. The most recent was an attempt to place Amateur Spectrum up for auction was by Congressman Peter King when he sought to place the Weak Signal Portion of the 432 Mhz band up for auction. That to was turned away. Of primary importance was mounting a coordinated legal defense. The recent challenges to 220 Mhz spectrum and 432 Spectrum was picking on relatively small targets. I can't imagine the Donny Brook a potential challenger would face if he or she or it elected to get the 2 Meter or 440 Mhz repeater bands designated for auction.

Be my guest. I would love to read what the manufacturers have planned for us. I doubt I would accept it because the interest that lies at the root of their proposal is making money. Whether the Ham Bands are torn up with interference is secondary.

9. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think frequency this low would be very appropriate for WIFI. It is relatively noisy compared to UHF and requires a long electrical antenna length.
    and probably more output power. Also it is subject to phenomenon such as sporadic e propagation.

10. AA6XE

What I was alluding to in my original comments is the fact that, as I see it, Amateur Radio does a particularly poor job at encouraging the technical growth of it's new members. Once they pass the test they are in. And what KG7AUF mentioned put his finger on the heart of the matter, most radio clubs are Social Clubs that have a once a month meeting for "an Eyeball". This type of treatment makes these newcomers easy prey for unscrupulous dealers.

The proposition presented at the outset of this thread is more of the of a lecture about Ham Radio should do better to recruit more new Hams. And as I stated this logic was combined with "Restructuring" 15 years ago so we could "grow the ranks". And we did "grow the ranks" largely with people who are content with a 2 Meter Handie Talkie and a monthly meeting. Or as others have pointed out an equally large cohort of "Preppers" who have their equipment stored away for Doomsday. Are there people added to the ranks that want to excel intellectually and generally learn about radio ? Sure there are but they are few and far between. That's why I take issue with KJ4RYP's admonition and those that chose to line up behind him. It's time Ham Radio learn from its mistakes. And if there is a new commitment to "grow the ranks" that it be done differently with an eye towards quality. How can that be done if those that advocate such a position don't know what the mistakes of the last time really were ?

11. AA6XE

It doesn't necessarily have to be a very efficient radiator, a loaded vertical would be fine. What's attractive about using that spectrum for Wifi is it penetrates through walls with little attenuation. The system as it is proposed would work as a broadband system on a hunt select basis. So if interference popped up, say the harmonic of a Ham Radio HF Transmitter, the system reroutes data around the affected spectrum. 30 Mhz of Spectrum could provide for a fairly robust system if the cell size is kept small.

Regarding Sporadic E signals they would be comparatively weak next to the WIFI Signals. Remember we are talking about 100 to a 1000 feet tops

12. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

In Europe,and in Sweden in particular, the "quantity before quality" concept in amateur radio has been tried and was found not to work.
    We now have neither quantity nor quality.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

13. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's more likely a failed implementation of a plan (if there ever was one) than a faulty concept.

Every one of us here should ask ourselves how we can help the hobby become better. If you want the community to survive, start by being a contributing member of it.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Look: you can't make money without people getting what they want and need.What makes capitalism work is the betterment of the end users. That also makes happy employees, happy suppliers.And yes, happy shareholders who take the risk in the process.

Sheesh!

Ham radio spectrum defense has many capitalist friends. But you better use the allocations.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hahah!

If you work 6m you know Es is a solution not a problem. But you need a kw and at least 6dbd of gain...

Milliwatt Es interference-- go do the math.

Now have 40 countries on 6m in 50 hours of operation.

Chip W1YW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.