ad: Retevis-1

X1.7 Solar Flare- Biggest yet of 2012!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK4AMP, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KK4AMP

KK4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

"A massive solar flare — the strongest one so far this year — erupted today (Jan. 27) from the same active region..."

More here.

2. KE7JFA

KE7JFA Ham Member QRZ Page

Good.
    Maybe propagation will pick up...

3. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, after all the excitement, how does this help radio amateurs ?

G0GQK

4. WS4E

WS4E Ham Member QRZ Page

For most solar flares, the main effect felt on Earth is an increase in the level of solar radiation. This radiation covers the whole electromagnetic spectrum and elements such as the ultra-violet, X-rays and the like will affect the levels of ionisation in the ionosphere and hence it has an effect on radio communications via the ionosphere.

Often an enhancement in ionospheric HF propagation is noticed as the higher layers of the ionosphere have increased levels of iononisation. However if the levels of ionisation in the lower elvels start to rise then this can result in higher levels of attenuation of the radio communications signals and poor conditions may be experienced. Additionally an increase in the level of background noise at VHF can also be detected easily.

Flares generally only last for about an hour, after which the surface of the Sun returns to normal although some Post Flare Loops remain for some time afterwards. The flares affect radio propagation and radio communications on Earth and the effects may be noticed for some time afterwards.

5. K7GAV

K7GAV Ham Member QRZ Page

G0GQK, solar flares improve HF activity like crazy 10 meters was widely spread open yesterday because of the storm the radio flux index was at a high of 283 percent
    the propergation picked up very very nicely yesterday the highest it has ever been that was good to transmit on hf yesterday was very interesting to working 10 i'm sure other fellow hams had fun transmitting on there hf radio yesterday i know i did i worked 10 meters just fine but today cannot work 10 at all

6. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

10 seems dead in Minnesota and 15 is weak, but then I've got an attic dipole with a high take-off angle for the signal, so probably miss a lot anyway. (Heck, for me 10 was dead for half the last decade, though did work a ZM and a VK in October.) Guess they will come back soon enough. As an aside, K1MAN is strong on 14.275. Thought he just got a big fine for broadcasting.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeh but conditions are stinky now..great 2hours ago.

Must be 'post coronal depression'

;-)

Chip W1YW

8. VK3YAP

VK3YAP Ham Member QRZ Page

hearing you guys here in oz n4lem on 14.200 talking all over the states. Ray is 5/9 here.

9. AB1OD

AB1OD Guest

Is that what we call hangovers now?

10. K9SRV

K9SRV Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you guys saying:confused: the SFI got up to 280?

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw it hit 208 yesterday. Surprised the heck of out me. Thought it was typo. Now its 114 :-(

What we need is over 200 for weeks on end...like it has been in the last 4 cycles ;-0

Chip W1YW

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, magneto-hydrodynamically (with apologies to Tommy Gold).

:)

Chip w1YW

13. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Punctuation would help here.

K2WH

14. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Holy Sunburst

I just seen that on http://www.spaceweather.com all I can say is one big one! :cool:

too bad they cannot scramble Iran's missals, maybe we might get lucky and they detonate in their country, then they can see what it means!

Don't Mess with the US!

15. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not saying much since we are only 28 days into the year and 337 days are left of it. More hype than anything.
    What you want are sunspots, not flares. Unfortunately where there are sunspots there is a higher probability of flares occurring.
    Flares may give a short increase of f-layer propagation but will in all likelihood make it worse for a couple days.
    It is fun to work auroral propagation on 6 meters though. Everyone sounds like they have a strep throat!:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.