ad: portazero-1

X1.7 Solar Flare- Biggest yet of 2012!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK4AMP, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On January 27th the solar flux index hit 283.6 but this was an invalid reading due to instrument saturation.

2. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no propagation benefit to the higher bands from a solar flare.

3. K9SRV

K9SRV Ham Member QRZ Page

Good. I was saturated with anger for missing it...:p

4. KE4YOG

KE4YOG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would never have a "post coronal depression" as a hangover. I dont drink Corona. I would have a "post Guinessal depression" as a hangover! May a "post Newcastlan depression" if I was drinking a lighter beer!

5. K7GAV

K7GAV Ham Member QRZ Page

lol sorry was in a hurry. I'll remember that from now on! had to modify my qrz page had some errors on it for pictures i uploaded a few weeks ago. Now it is fixed!. I hope you guy's like it.

6. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since you opened that door...
    Quite honestly, it needs some work.
    It is a very difficult read.

What you write may be all that anyone knows about you. It is important to get the grammar, punctuation, and spelling korrekt.
    Often it will be the only determining factor of whether to be taken seriously or not. This is especially true in internet forums where writing is the only way you have to represent yourself. It is ALWAYS worth the effort.

In reading more about the flare, it seems that it was the largest of it's kind since 2005.
    Certainly that is more significant than it being the largest so far in 2012!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  7. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How can it be "saturated" if readings up to 360 are possible during non-flare conditions?

8. W6MQI

W6MQI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey K7MH what kind of Cw op are you there's no bug in your arsenal :D

73, Dave ..

9. VR2ZQZ

VR2ZQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

THE BEST 160 m TRANSPACIFIC PROPAGATIN EVER HAPPENED IN HONG KONG....

During morning hours ( USA time ) on 28 of January during CQ WW 160 m CW Contest VR2EH operated 40 QSOs to W5, W6 and W7 areas....
    Observing 10 years CQ WW 160 CW results it had NEVER happened in all history of CQ WW 160 m in Hong Kong or South China...

The reason is possibly the SUN ACTIVITY ....

The next day there was NO USA stations on 160 m.....

73 and see you on 160 in ARRL....
    IGOR VR2ZQZ / VR2EH

10. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried a bug back in the early seventies but I already had used a single lever paddle, an early Ten Tec. I think it was a KR2 but it quit on me. When I tried a bug, I kept waiting for the dah to complete itself!! So I gave up on it, just couldn't really get used to it. My next key was a Hamco Carson EK1 which now the Vibroplex Brass Racer with the built in keyer. I still have that one but I took the keyer out and swapped the wood base with one from a Brass Racer.
    A double speed key makes more sense to me than a bug does. I'd love to have an old Bunnell double speed like in my avatar, but they are pretty pricey and collectable.

11. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't tell what name to address you by from your bio here at QRZ, so G0GQK, how long have you had an amateur license? The effect of solar flares on propagation was quite commonly understood when I began as an SWL about 50 years ago. It hasn't changed to my knowledge recently. Probably many decades before I was born too. Are you one of those ops who uses the Internet for your contacts? The word 'radio' implies some sort of transmission and reception thru the 'ether' . YMMV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.